• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

BREXIT THE MOVIE

The Tyler Edwards thread had gone way off topic, as was mentioned several times, and had moved on to new signings - which could happily go into a new thread but I couldn't be bothered sifting through and splitting it into two. Feel free to start a new one.

This one seems to be on topic most of the time.

But I accept that I can't win with you Blackie, whether I close a thread or leave it open. I won't let it bother me. ;)

I take the view that in a democracy it is the people's right and duty to hold the politicians to account when they vote to do something. In this case it is more a matter of holding the voters to account, since it was not the politicians who decided.

As with all threads, there is no rule that says you have to read the thread, or that you have to respond in a thread. If opinions are unpalatable or uncomfortable, respond or ignore. They are after all just that - opinions.

The Tyler Edwards thread had gone way off topic, as was mentioned several times, and had moved on to new signings - which could happily go into a new thread but I couldn't be bothered sifting through and splitting it into two. Feel free to start a new one.

This one seems to be on topic most of the time.

But I accept that I can't win with you Blackie, whether I close a thread or leave it open. I won't let it bother me. ;)

I take the view that in a democracy it is the people's right and duty to hold the politicians to account when they vote to do something. In this case it is more a matter of holding the voters to account, since it was not the politicians who decided.

As with all threads, there is no rule that says you have to read the thread, or that you have to respond in a thread. If opinions are unpalatable or uncomfortable, respond or ignore. They are after all just that - opinions.
:banghead Thread summed up by this.
(I couldn't find a snore one!).
Have you just got back from London where the rest of the non racist bad losers have been demonstrating!? :rolleyes:.

I'm not thinking of sacking myself any time soon. ;)

Great to see the picture of a girl, about 8 or 9 yrs old with a banner saying "farage is a c**t"!!
What wonderful parents she has!! Her grandparents must be so proud to see this!
Mind you there were quite a few xenophobia and racists banners, which of course, all us leave voters are......such idiots!!

I seem to recall that the reason that I and thousands of other 19/20 year olds went out to Korea in the early 50, and having a very uncomfortable experience, was to allow that country to have Democracy, am I now seeing an attempt to have a a democratic vote overruled by bad losers !!.

The younger voters who are moaning about the older generation seem to forget if it wasn't for their grandfathers and great grandfathers sacrificing their lives they wouldn't have a democratic vote and would now be being told what to do by a German dictator......oh, they are! (Were!).

On an further point of my last mail, 1068 of those lads did not have the opportunity to come home and vote !!.

Blackie.

I am an older retired person and live in the hotbed of radical, left-wing multi-multiculturalism that is Leftwich and I was very keen on staying in the European Union and voted to stay in.

Reactions: Ben
... and this particular in-voting oldie looks out over the green and pleasant Labour heartland of rural 95.8% white British Dorset, represented by that famed illiberal Tory Christopher Chope

Reactions: Ben
And as my wife and I motored thru Dorset last week we were astonished to see the huge number of LEAVE signs erected in many places, seem to recall just 2 to remain !!.

Blackie.

I am an older retired person and live in the hotbed of radical, left-wing multi-multiculturalism that is Leftwich and I was very keen on staying in the European Union and voted to stay in.
Dear John (couldn't resist writing a dear John note:p.)
I can't remember saying every older person voted out....which I presume is you point?
And I doubt you wold lower yourself to exploiting young children by taking them along to make numbers look bigger when they don't even understand what the banners mean!!

Dear John (couldn't resist writing a dear John note:p.)
I can't remember saying every older person voted out....which I presume is you point?
And I doubt you wold lower yourself to exploiting young children by taking them along to make numbers look bigger when they don't even understand what the banners mean!!

Blackie - and what about those thousands of young children who have suffered experiences and horrors that I hope no child in this country will ever have to experience and that are now part of the exodus from these war-torn hell-holes with their parents and wider families in an attempt to forge a better life for themselves? Even the ways they have to achieve this aim exposes them to massive dangers. Cannot you recall the pictures of that poor 5 year old washed up on a Greek beach 12 months ago? Have you no pity, no compassion, no heart? Should we - as the Fifth most prosperous economy in the world - not seek to alleviate this pain, suffering and despair? Should we not be looking to take more than the pitiful 2000 per year suggested by Cameron? Do you not see any parallels between the current situation and that in the 1930's when we accepted thousands of Jews and others from Europe (including the Poles who not only fought bravely for us but created a vibrant community in the Mid Cheshire area that has lasted to this day)? Should we not be looking to be more outward looking, progressive, tolerant, positive and pluralistic society??

Because I can tell you that this is how we are generally viewed by the world. An that is why so many people want to live and work here and regard British culture as the benchmark above all others. This is something I and we all should be justifiably proud of.

If you can't, and you are with the likes of Farage (whom, like Boris, Cameron and I suspect soon to be joined by Gideon) have decided to walk away from the unholy pile of shite that they have created without putting in place a plan as to how it might be sorted, then I'm sorry, I think that you need to take a long, hard look at yourself.

Is this what we are becoming?
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Blackie - and what about those thousands of young children who have suffered experiences and horrors that I hope no child in this country will ever have to experience and that are now part of the exodus from these war-torn hell-holes with their parents and wider families in an attempt to forge a better life for themselves? Even the ways they have to achieve this aim exposes them to massive dangers. Cannot you recall the pictures of that poor 5 year old washed up on a Greek beach 12 months ago? Have you no pity, no compassion, no heart? Should we - as the Fifth most prosperous economy in the world - not seek to alleviate this pain, suffering and despair? Should we not be looking to take more than the pitiful 2000 per year suggested by Cameron? Do you not see any parallels between the current situation and that in the 1930's when we accepted thousands of Jews and others from Europe (including the Poles who not only fought bravely for us but created a vibrant community in the Mid Cheshire area that has lasted to this day)? Should we not be looking to be more outward looking, progressive, tolerant, positive and pluralistic society??

I agree with you Atticus Finch, we have in the past and should continue in the future to be a safe haven for refugees. Cameron's 2,000 is not enough. We should take more and encourage other countries to so the same regardless of whether we or they are in or out of the EU.

However, having an open border that enables free movement of people between different jurisdictions is not the same thing and is a totally separate argument.

Immigrants travel because of a push or pull factor. Their old country is pushing them out because of bad economic conditions or their new country is pulling them through promise of a better life.

Refugees travel because of fear. They feel if they stay where they are they will be detained, injured, or killed.

Last edited:
Back