• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

1874 0-4 Winsford

Jack Owen

Too much time on my hands
Aug 4, 2013
Thats what happens when you have two midfielders and a teenage debutant in a defence.

After two fantastic performances against Runcorn Town and Liverpool, that has spoilt all the hard work we put in gaining ground on top of the league.

Glad Russy and Connors are back for Cammell Laird on Friday night, get a settled back 4 and push on now.

After the recent results how can we play as badly as we did , the chances missed were unbelievable, I say no more !!.

Just one of those days, can't believe what I saw today

Merged the two threads.

Winsford wanted it more, lost every 50-50, too static & a makeshift defence.
Can't afford anymore slip ups.

Let's put this result into a bit of perspective we were missing several key players today through injuries and suspensions Winsford have also picked up a bit the last few games also a debutant in the side today not panicking

The other thread seems locked so that no one can reply to it, so I'll start another. It's a forum after all.
[Mod: we were in the process of merging threads and moving posts to get them all together, so this one is no longer at the start of the thread]

Not been since the Colls nightmare, but having read over the last few weeks that things are going in the right direction, I went today filed with optimism. Unfortunately, that was worse than the Colls showing. In fact, I'd say that was the worst it out history.

Can't take anything away from Winsford, they wanted it more, they worked hard.

Yeah we had suspensions. Some of those suspensions came from cards picked up at Silsden, exactly ONE MONTH ago, surely a club of our calibre can draft in cover? These suspensions shouldn't have a been a surprise to the management. Furthermore, if you want to be title contenders, you can't crumble to a 4-0 annihilation with a few players out.

What did Street say to the team at half time? Whatever it was, it made things worse!

Today we were crying out for a player like Chappie. Just a shame that he had to leave because he didn't seem to be in the good books and spent his time on the Bench.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ben
Agree Matt. We had two brilliant players missing today, Paul Connor and Matt Russell. They're a massive part of how we play and without them, and Danny at the back. We were weak. Winsford deserved that today, punished us. We had no fight or desire today.

Time to move on though, lets get our heads up and go again at Cammell Laird this Friday. Big end of the season coming up!

We knew we had players missing but only had 4 on the bench, shocking today against a poor winsford team and even though we probably saw more of the ball did nothing with it
Good crowd without giving loads of tickets away but how many will return after seeing that
Oh well See you at camell laird
Forgot to say thought the ref was weak today must have said 3 times to their players it was the last chance then booked Tom bailey for much less

Last edited:
An absolute shambles!! I too went with optimism after recent performances but that was inept at best.
No battling in midfield because our best tackling midfielder is now at colls!
No tactical change till we were 3 down....well funny enough.....that's too late!!
By far the worst I've seen us perform!!
Underperformed in front of a decent crowd.....again!

That performance simply wasn't good enough and probably the worst I've ever seen against an average Winsford side languishing in the bottom half of the league.

We were poor defensively, were over ran in midfield and had nothing up front. There was lots of passing from the back and long balls but no end product. There was no fight and passion and we simply didn't look up for it today. Yes, there were players injured and suspended but the performance today exposed our complete lack of strength and depth, particularly in defence.

It's not the first time we've rolled over this season - it was the same against Colne and Colls. All were big games with a decent crowd, many fans of whom will not return again. Yes the players have to take some responsibility but the ultimate blame has to lie with the manager.. Today was simply not the performance of a side challenging for promotion and one that I doubt will do so on this evidence. Dreadful.

1874 losses at home this season:

1874 1-3 Colne
1874 1-3 AFC Liverpool
1874 1-3 Congleton
1874 0-3 Colls
1874 0-4 Winsford

1874 losses away from home this season:

Squires Gate 4-1 1874
Silsden 1-0 1874

When we are losing, we are being comprehensively beaten; can't say any of them apart from Silsden, have been remotely good performances. Haven't looked like winning any of them. Not too sure what goes on when we concede. Heads seem to go the majority of the time.

Those home losses are also terrible. Looking at that, no wonder why crowds have dropped this season. Good crowd today, but will they come back after watching that? I doubt it...

My first 1874 game today, climbed out of my sick bed. That was a shocking. Was there any game plan? other than long balls down the middle to no one.

Going to be hard not to be negative after a performance like that.
.can't put it down to the players suspended or injured,the pitch, the ref etc etc.
Simply not good enough no excuses !! All in front of a decent crowd .

Don't know what's worse, the result, or the fact that Dario Gradi was there!

That was not good though, it has to be said. 4-0 against Winsford, yes I know we had players out and had a makeshift back 4, but to concede 4 goals, 4!, that isn't good. I know it's not great to have the players see this on the forum, but, they should know straight away, after the final whistle, that wasn't good at all.

Let's put things right against Lairds, we're not out of the race, not by a long f**king way, but tonight doesn't leave a good taste in the mouth.

Callum's post highlights something about our home form, especially in recent months.

Last 10 home games (all comps):

Played - 10
Won - 5
Drawn - 1
Lost - 4
Scored - 13
Conceded - 18

Home forms definitely the issue, especially informs of big crowds in big games. Many new faces down there today, unfortunately, none of them will have caught the 1874 bug today.

Last edited:
Back