• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Guardian Witton to host 1874's next FA Vase tie

• Thread starter Northwich Guardian |
  • Start date
1874s successes are what matters to me, it doesn’t bother me if Witton are successful at the same time or not.

... and we need to remember that there are voices on the dark side who see the swings and roundabouts from the diametrically opposite perspective - some of them would happily swap the two clubs round in that sentence, others (as on here) will be up in arms about the prospect of co-operating with a rival club. Maybe we should place a bit of trust in our elected representatives that they are not intent on selling us down the canal?

Maybe we should place a bit of trust in our elected representatives that they are not intent on selling us down the canal?

I think that sentence sums it all up. We don’t have someone like dodgy Jim in change anymore. We have a board that WE elected, and a board that has nothing but the best intentions of the club at heart.

Maybe we should place a bit of trust in our elected representatives that they are not intent on selling us down the canal?
We have a board that WE elected, and a board that has nothing but the best intentions of the club at heart.

WHY!!!!.... do people keep quoting this or similar sentences!!??
Never have I, or indeed ever noticed anyone, saying the board are selling us out in any way, not trying to get a good deal or I don't have confidence in them.!!
I am interested in what we are paying the other side and how that is in comparison to what it will make/lose us.
I asked simple question(s) that require simple answers from someone who actually knows!!
That my be a...yes, its £££'s per game or it maybe...we cant tell you because it may hamper further negotiations, or it may even be, we simply don't want other parties finding out.......just simple answers!!!
Will people please stop trying to make it something more sinister or hinting that it is a slur against the board ffs!!

I agree nobody is saying that our Board is selling us out, but some people are suggesting that Witton could be ripping us off - and if people (not saying "you", Blackie) believe that then they clearly don't have much trust in the Board being capable of standing up for our interests. There will undoubtably be benefits and losses for both sides.

As for the facts of it all, I have no idea, and nor do 99% of people who post on here. The Board are discouraged from making pronouncements on the forum. However, perhaps a private communication to a Board member from a 74 owner might yield a more informed response. I have always found this works.

Blackie, why not just simply have a chat with one of the Board members the next time you’re at a game and maybe you might feel less disgruntled. Whichever reason you’ve suggested for the (current) information embargo (all perfectly reasonable possibilities I might add), you’re unlikely to find your question answered on the thread of a (very) public forum?

I don’t think there is necessarily secretive plans afoot (i’m not accusing you of suggesting that either), but more the fact that we like to adopt a more discrete approach to the way we conduct our club business, until it is felt prudent to discuss it more publicly. Sadly other club’s have in the past chosen to adopt a different approach, which in my opinion has proved less than helpful in the circumstances.

You won't ever find a board member telling you what the rental fees are. For starters the first thing that's signed whenever this sort of thing is discussed is a non-disclosure agreement. Secondly, because even if they could tell you, why would you want these figures out in the open? There's pretty much nothing we have that's more commercially sensitive than rental figures.

You won't ever find a board member telling you what the rental fees are. For starters the first thing that's signed whenever this sort of thing is discussed is a non-disclosure agreement. Secondly, because even if they could tell you, why would you want these figures out in the open? There's pretty much nothing we have that's more commercially sensitive than rental figures.

You’d imagine Mark that Mark Harris and Witton Albion would recognise the same points and so therefore there should be nobody at Wincham Park, aside of their Board, who should be “in the know” regarding ballpark, let alone actual figures.

There is no problem didnt say there was..it was a simple question requiring a simple answer. Why has everything got to 'sensitive'?. Think selling out in the club and the queue at the one tea bar that was open added up to 'more than a few quid'. Excuse me for wanting to know how the club is spending our money given the previous ride ive been on!
At least you got the few 'likes' you were after :rolleyes:.
Disagree.

Given that WItton didn't get a penny of the gate receipts I would be surprised if we covered our costs for putting the game on for you. Payment of staff, electricity and heating amongst other things isn't cheap. Oh and the profit margins on beer and pies aren't that great these days believe it or not.

Sorry Paul but I can’t for a moment believe you failed to break even, worse still made a loss.

I would be surprised if we covered our costs for putting the game on for you.
Ridiculous statement Paul, how much do you think 625 people spent on the day? I assure you that your normal 4 figure rental charge would have easily been surpassed

Sorry Paul but I can’t for a moment believe you failed to break even, worse still made a loss.
Probably right Tez but on the other hand I'm certain that we didn't make a fortune either which Blackie and one or two others seem to imply.

Ridiculous statement Paul, how much do you think 625 people spent on the day? I assure you that your normal 4 figure rental charge would have easily been surpassed
I've no idea how many people drank in the club or the Salt Barge which some seem to be encouraging. Do you know how much it costs Witton to put a game on at Wincham Park including payment of staff and all bills?

Fair comment though, I'm only guessing at figures like everyone else on here. And I do stand by my point that Witton would not have made a fortune.

Last edited:
I've no idea how many people drank in the club or the Salt Barge which some seem to be encouraging.
How can you make statements on here about profit and loss if you have no idea what the demand was like on the day. The club house was busy before and afterwards, the queue for refreshments was too long to join. Of course all clubs have a few ' principled one eyes' but our board made a prematch statement encouraging fans to use the bar/catering facilities and believe me many did. I suggest you ask at your end just how many. [/QUOTE] Do you know how much it costs Witton to put a game on at Wincham Park including payment of staff and all bills?[/QUOTE] No and I doubt that you do, also staff wages with gates of 2/300? no wonder you need to raise extra income Paul.

Oh and the profit margins on beer and pies aren't that great these days believe it or not.

Probably right Tez but on the other hand I'm certain that we didn't make a fortune either.

I've no idea how many people drank in the club
And I do stand by my point that Witton would not have made a fortune.
So let me get this right...
you dont know how many used the club (it sold out!!..slight clue there!)
You dont know what fee was paid.
You are apparently clueless on beer and pie profit margins at your club (guessing again!!), so you can't give us the prices
....and despite all this you are absolutely positive wi**on didn't make a substantial profit!!!
Oh dear! :oops:. No actual facts again!

There were maybe a dozen or so 74's in the salt barge, expected more really but will be there for the next game
Hopefully see you all tomorrow.

Back