• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Guardian Witton to host 1874's next FA Vase tie

• Thread starter Northwich Guardian |
  • Start date
in the northwich guardian Mark Harris announces that Witton will be charging 1874 more to stage the game against Chichester.can anyone explain WHY,.at the last game we spent a fortune on drinks and food.to contribute to Wittons coffers,so why does Mark Harris feel the need to charge more for a game that witton will reap a much needed financial benefit from ?

It is what it is but we all know what to do, Go to the salt barge before the game and spend our hard earned there, Why would Harris feel the need to announce that anyway.
It was a nice gesture last time but they must have made good money on food and drink so was good for both parties.

Why wouldn't you try to take as much money as possible from your rivals if given the chance?

It goes to show that a long term ground rental with Witton is not in our best interests.

the above reply by paulF sums witton up I am reminded of the old latin phrase "Timeo Daanaos et dona ferentes". --Beware of Greeks bearing gifts .which is don.t trust your enemies !. I personally will not be be buying any more food or beverages from mr Harris

I think it is generally acknowledged that the Pontefract arrangement was partly seen as a bit of a "favour" to Paul, whereas this is "business". The MH statement pre-empting the decision (and then withdrawn from WA's website) also made that clear.

I am not sure why any of us would expect WA to keep doing us favours. They are a commercial entity and as such have a profit margin to aim for. Even the "favour" could be seen as a bit of an enticement to indulge in more visits. Nothing intrinsically wrong with that.

Just as there is nothing intrinsically wrong with paying customers deciding to quench their thirst and still their hunger at other (equally commercial) outlets nearby.

Apologies if I am missing something here, but the link above quotes that the fee will be “ subject to commercial terms”. While I concede it will likely be at a higher rate, we are all surmising here that we are being rolled over by MH and Witton. I’m sure the Board will share pertinent information about the deal when the time is right, meanwhile I have every faith we have negotiated one which is within our means.

Mark harris issued a statement on his clubs website stating the facts to clear up any 'misleading' rumours. Why cant our board do the same now? Whats the big secret about the 'agreed' fee, and why do we have to wait to see if we actually get this info 'when the time is right'.
The fact wi**on want to charge us a higher rate dispite what must have been a substantial amount being put their way on matchday tells me all i need to know about them (which is exactly what i thought of them in the first place).

Is that the issued statement he then withdrew or a new one?

Is that the issued statement he then withdrew or a new one?
The statement is still on there for all to see!. As for us, For a 'fan run club', the fans seem to be in the dark about many 'facts' at the moment! A few of these would stop the surmising you mentioned.

The statement is still on there for all to see!. As for us, For a 'fan run club', the fans seem to be in the dark about many 'facts' at the moment! A few of these would stop the surmising you mentioned.
There are no Wittoners I know that know what the fee was, why would such a sensitive business deal (which is what it is at the end of the day) be made open to the public? I'm completely guessing but I suspect that the fee was minimal. We probably covered our expenses and might have made a few quid on social club/tea bar sales and you played on the best pitch you could have done and progressed in a massive cup competition for you. I'm baffled as to what the problem is here.

Yes this game will cost more than the previous game. However we don’t know what the first game cost was, nor do we know what this game will cost. It’s all speculation at the moment. However if the board have deemed it a reasonable cost, then I trust them.

Yes, we are a fan owner club - however, Witton are not. They may wish to keep the current arrangement quiet for the time being, and considering that the two clubs are quite possibly undergoing talks regarding future games being played there it would make reasonable sense to keep such information private for the time being.

Yes this game will cost more than the previous game. However we don’t know what the first game cost was, nor do we know what this game will cost. It’s all speculation at the moment. However if the board have deemed it a reasonable cost, then I trust them.

Yes, we are a fan owner club - however, Witton are not. They may wish to keep the current arrangement quiet for the time being, and considering that the two clubs are quite possibly undergoing talks regarding future games being played there it would make reasonable sense to keep such information private for the time being.
There are some very bright and decent folk on both boards. And both clubs are structured in different ways. Its not as simple as just releasing very sensitive info to the public, a certain amount of faith has to be entrusted in both boards in order for good deals to be achieved for both clubs.

The board were voted in to make important decisions on behalf of the membership. Not much point in having a board if we're constantly on their backs to release information. We need to give them our respect, our confidence and a bit of breathing space. I'm sure that when a decision has been made, with the best interests of the club at heart, the board will inform and update its members.

The board were voted in to make important decisions on behalf of the membership. Not much point in having a board if we're constantly on their backs to release information. We need to give them our respect, our confidence and a bit of breathing space. I'm sure that when a decision has been made, with the best interests of the club at heart, the board will inform and update its members.
Ditto my feelings on Wittons board Tony.

Here is my personal take; I have changed my plans so I can drive 200 miles to watch the game. I am mightily relieved that it is planned to be at Witton as it reduces the risk of it being off on the day. I am no fan of Witton but they could have taken a dog in the manger approach to this whole situation and they didn't. While I am not typical I know, I can't believe that I am the only one who is grateful that this risk is reduced on what is arguably the biggest game 1874 have had so far and will get us the most publicity , win or lose.

Where we play ongoing is to be decided but in considering the grounds I recall when Wincham Park was known as the swamp. I don't hear that now , so drainage can be improved and it may be that it can happen at Winsford too.

In terms of the price to pay, there is always a premium for a one off but I cant believe that Witton's Board are in any better position to negotiate than ours, and I trust our team to find the right price at the right place.

I have no objections to playing one off games at Witton considering the backlog of games that we need to get though.

Nor have I any problem with Witton trying to maximize their income from the ground they are a business after all.

I am concerned that any monies earned from our cup run are financing Witton and not us.

And as in the previous round i will not be giving Witton one penny more than the entrance fee.

See you all in the Salt Barge.

There are no Wittoners I know that know what the fee was, why would such a sensitive business deal (which is what it is at the end of the day) be made open to the public? I'm completely guessing but I suspect that the fee was minimal. We probably covered our expenses and might have made a few quid on social club/tea bar sales and you played on the best pitch you could have done and progressed in a massive cup competition for you. I'm baffled as to what the problem is here.
There is no problem didnt say there was..it was a simple question requiring a simple answer. Why has everything got to 'sensitive'?. Think selling out in the club and the queue at the one tea bar that was open added up to 'more than a few quid'. Excuse me for wanting to know how the club is spending our money given the previous ride ive been on!
At least you got the few 'likes' you were after :rolleyes:.

I have no objections to playing one off games at Witton considering the backlog of games that we need to get though.

Nor have I any problem with Witton trying to maximize their income from the ground they are a business after all.

I am concerned that any monies earned from our cup run are financing Witton and not us.

And as in the previous round i will not be giving Witton one penny more than the entrance fee.

See you all in the Salt Barge.

A potential ground share could very well fund Witton. But it’d put us in a better position attendance wise and league progression, which would also put more money in out pockets.

Swings and round abouts.

1874s successes are what matters to me, it doesn’t bother me if Witton are successful at the same time or not.

Last edited:
Back