• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Witton 1-2

Edge

Administrator
Forum Staff
5 Game Player
Jun 24, 2013
I’m not sure how to sum today up.
Tom Fagan had a very good debut, getting forward & putting balls in the box. Defensively he looked good too.
Another goal conceded from a corner and very little threat from us in the first half.

Second half was a non-event until Matt got his second yellow and then we started to play.
Players got forward with a great ball In being headed in by Jack.

Witton finally woke up a bit and a good finish from Connor Hughes won it for them.

We probably deserved a draw as Witton rarely threatened but then again we never really looked like scoring.

A big game at Nantwich next week

Strange game.

First half was poor. Neither team looking good, but Witton edged it.

Second half was much better, without Woolley’s red we could have easily come away with 1 maybe even 3 points.

Definitely a few players short, though.

Very happy with the attendance. Genuinely surprised to hit the thousand mark with both teams being in poor form.

Scrappy match and not much to shout about. I thought Witton deserved their win just about though I have to say I wasn’t overly impressed with them.
The difference between the two sides was Witton have proven goal scorers and afraid we don’t have any.
Despite a 20 min spell after Woolley was dismissed we were devoid of attacking threat.
Absolutely nothing up front with our goal scored by a defender again and little
in the way of decent balls from our midfield. This must be rectified if we are to stand even a remote chance of survival.
So on the whole another depressing display. Now 2 points adrift at the bottom of the table.
On the plus side credit must be given to those who advertised the game resulting in a great crowd which is wonderful to see. I thought it was well organised by the volunteers too so credit to them.

Here’s what Damien made of today

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Starting off by saying, shocking officiating today, absolutely farcical. 2x really silly bookings for Matt today that led to the red, in games such as these, its players like him who should set the bar for those young lads.

By now I’d like to think Damian is realising what he’s been left with by Paul/Wayne, for those saying we were wrong to want them out, the table speaks for itself - it’s going to be a hard one for him but from what I’ve seen so far from DC, I’m confident he we will get there over time and bringing some fresh faces in, impressed by the new lad who came in at right back, not an easy game to come in for!! We were great for a spell after the red.

Gonna say it again, but Max is completely ineffectual up top, never in the right place and more bothered about wrestling than actually attempting to challenge for a ball and I’m sure others are starting to get fed up of it - yes, you could argue he doesn’t get service but he just does not cut it for us, his scoring record for and before joining us speaks for itself. If we want to stay up, he is not the answer.

Great attendance today, all the pushing has paid off so well done to all on that point!Onwards and upwards!!

If we could have played from the start like we played when we went down to 10 men I believe we would have got something from this game.

We were 2nd best first half and created nothing but neither did they really, first 20 second half we pushed them and got the goal but after we went down to 9 they took over, 9 against 12 is not ideal.
We need some reinforcements now, we are bottom and need more in midfield and up front or we are gone.
Thought the ref was poor and let them get away with a lot including kicking the ball away, didn't see the sending off incident.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Incredible ball in from Eric. We'll do well to have him here for a prolonged period. He'll definitely play at a higher level.

Such a shame that we couldn't hold on / snatch a winner. Frustration with conceding the 2nd when we were on top. Didn't see the 2nd yellow for Matt Woolley, but by all accounts it was a terrible decision.

I did think the sending off was harsh as it didn't look like a foul from where I was standing, Woolley just stood his ground and their lad went down like he'd been hit by a lorry. It'd be interesting to see any footage of it. The referee was woeful today, out of his depth.
It was a really good gate for a performance that lacked quality from both teams. DC does need to start utilising his contacts now and bring in some fresh faces before we are too far adrift. Priority for me is a striker, followed by a keeper and CM (with McCann being injured). Lewis Bradley looked lively in the 45 mins he managed at Kidsgrove and Tom Fagan had a solid debut today so, based on them alone, DC has the contacts to improve the team.

Very disappointed with today, thought we would get at least a point.
Swampies were very physical and the ref just wasn’t strong enough, they should have had a number of cards, including at least 2 dives in the box.
Going down to 10 then 9 made is impossible
Good following by the Greens who showed up in numbers.
Can’t understand why the Swampies didn’t have a physio, we had to attend to one of their fans who took a funny turn, then various other trips onto the pitch to care for their players !

They will be on your forum i guess
Like the numbers on the shirts, How can the ref (as awful as he was ) identify from any distance which albion man it was that fouled the valiant man in green ? Surely those shirts cannot be legal and the ref should have ordered their replacement.. So far as the sending off was concerned, any decent ref would have judged the 2 "offences" together and concluded that they did not add up to a red card. If he issues a yellow for kicking the ball away, he must issue a card on all subsequent occasions. The 2nd yellow seemed to me to be a result of a reasonable attempt by both players to play the ball. Perhaps play acting by the Witton man in the manner of Runcorn Linnets on so many times over seasons past ?.

Some bullet observations :-

Poor game made worse by a woeful referee who appeared very much to favour witton and no need to send Matt W off. Totally inconsistent
Fantastic gate…many closet greens in attendance
Witton numbers on their shirts surely illegal …..shocking and impossible to identify
Only a numpty can choose an Orange change kit to replace red!
Floodlights should have been switched on 30 mins earlier … they had little impact for most of the 2nd half
Fair result was a draw
74 were the better team with 10 men
Witton deservedly leading at ht
74 need to sign a striker asap and a couple of creative midfielders.
All to play for….both teams will finish in bottom 8……….74 have much to do but DC has the contacts and skills to make sure we have a Boxing Day derby next year. COYG

It’s always the refs fault!

We were awful! What was Matt Wooley doin, the first yellow was terrible! The board started this, we’ve put a guy in charge far too late, whose never managed or been in a relegation fight, it’s totally ridiculous!!!

Has anyone got an A-Z of the midlands?Claptrap

We were awful! What was Matt Wooley doin, the first yellow was terrible! The board started this, we’ve put a guy in charge far too late, whose never managed or been in a relegation fight, it’s totally ridiculous!!!

Has anyone got an A-Z of the midlands?
If this is truly how you have fun in an evening, especially on Boxing Day night, then I genuinely feel sorry for you.

Has anyone got an A-Z of the midlands?
What did he do for the first one Dave, I missed it?

Back