• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Vics Today

Although in an ideal world it would make a lot of sense to have a single 'Northwich' team, but for me it would never work. We need to remember why 1874 started in the first place... I think there is too much history for this to be a starter..... I certainly wouldn't support it....(and to be honest, not sure many would support it on either side); just as an example, I know Vics supporters who won't even go to Sainsburys because it is on the old Central Ground site (Wittons original home)

A merger? No, vics is a Toxic brand. Flogging a dead horse in my opinion.

But should make it clear to anyone supporting vics that our door is always open if they wish to be part of something.

There are a few vics fans out there that have never had anything bad to say about 1874, they’re just clinging on to the past, no reason why we can’t invite them to become part of the future instead.

Boycotting a Sainsburys?!!!!
Yup, those attitudes seem very prevalent in British football, which puzzles me, as it prevents meaningful progress ever being made.
I think I must be made from a different ilk. Whilst I am all for rivalries, I like the friendly variety, where after the game we can share a pint and opinions with the opposition, not hurl or receive vile abuse. Sadly the sport of football always seems to struggle with that concept. Other sports seem to manage perfectly well though. That’s why I made the decision to follow non league football in 2015, but sadly it’s a disease that seems to have spread throughout all levels of the game.

And while these bigoted attitudes remain, two homeless football clubs will continue to limp along.......

Last edited:
IMO not a chance - and it shouldn't / wouldn't even be considered.
Within five years we will have our own ground and Vics will be no more in existence

A merger with the very club we broke away from to form 1874? That would be just admitting defeat and make us look in the wrong for breaking away in the first place. No, we need to continue building what we've got at 1874, hopefully with a move back to Northwich one day.

What on earth do JGFC have to offer 1874? Inflated Gates? Lies and deception? Fraud? Immorality? These are all the reasons why we left and set up 1874. Why take 7 steps back when we can continue to take positive steps forward.

The only way that a merger would benefit our town is for ALL local clubs to amalgamate, with a new name and new history.

Last edited:
Talk of mergers rearing its ugly head again? As Tony says, they have nothing to offer that has any worth and I would not like to see the values behind our club being sullied by any direct association with them. They have made their bed, let them lie in it. If they had learnt from experience and changed their ways I might have some grudging respect for their efforts. But they clearly haven't.

Call it sad. Call it tribal. Call it blinkered. I call it pragmatic. We remain a progressive, sustainable, transparent, ambitious club. Why throw that away?

I think that there is another important point, Northwich is growing at a great rate with most of the new residents being from outside the town and having no family connections or loyalty to any of the towns sporting clubs and certainly knowing nothing of the illustrious history of the original Northwich Victoria at its home ground the famous Drill Field.

If they have been resident over the past ten years they would certainly have heard about the local football team that is JGFC and its trials (legal and otherwise), tribulations and financial issues and therefore given that history why would they allow their family and children to be involved with it when there is a perfectly good and ethical local football club that they and their children could follow particularly if we can get back to Northwich.

I don't think that they have any other choice and neither do we.

Last edited:
What on earth do JGFC have to offer 1874? Inflated Gates? Lies and deception? Fraud? Corruption? Immorality? .

Presumably (legal disclaimer alert) you mention at least some of these misdeeds in relation to a previous incarnation of that club. They would claim to have left that all behind and turned over a whole new tree.

Presumably (legal disclaimer alert) you mention at least some of these misdeeds in relation to a previous incarnation of that club. They would claim to have left that all behind and turned over a whole new tree.

I beg to differ
We all know the history behind their JustGiving Crowdfunding farce that kick started their ownership but something else has come to light quite recently that questions their true love and loyality for Vics, the true meaning of their interpretation of a proud history, something that puts into question their self proclaimed integrity.

See how proudly they display the Cheshire Challenge Cup at every possible opportunity.

20180828_215946.jpg

A cup that doesn't belong to them, that a very well respected, lifelong representative and official of the club had valued and tried to sell in July/August 2016 (According to a source at Cheshire FA) to help them fund the club after Rushe was sent down. They then hid the valuable Cheshire sports antique from the Administrator (Straight from the horses mouth) and reclaimed as theirs from its place of hiding after they bought the club.

Last edited:
I beg to differ
We all know the history behind their JustGiving Crowdfunding farce that kick started their ownership but something else has come to light quite recently that questions their true love and loyality for Vics, the true meaning of them promoting a proud history, something that puts into question their self proclaimed integrity.

See how proudly they display the Cheshire Challenge Cup at every possible opportunity.

View attachment 1824

A cup that doesn't belong to them, that a lifelong representative/official of the club had valued and tried to sell in July/August 2016 (From source at Cheshire FA) to help them fund the club after Rushe was sent down, that they then hid from the current Administrator (From the horses mouth) and reclaimed as theirs after they bought the club.

This is why I like Tony’s posts. If they’ve done it, he’ll find it. If it’s true they tried to sell it, they are lower than I thought, and that was low.

If true (and I have no reason to doubt it if the Cheshire FA have said so), then it is rather astonishing for them to treat their much-proclaimed history thus. Probably couldn't sell it due to absence of provenance - every cloud has a silver lining. Might also (worryingly) be why they are said not to have insured it.

That (with apologies to the US quiz show) is the $64 million dollar question. Hence the reference to a lack of provenance.
Apparently the Cheshire FA have been investigating ...

I have posted on hear on more than one occasion,and explained the reasons why the original cup is not the property of Northwich Victoria.It was given to the Northwich Library 1890 as agreed if Vics were ever wound up(which they were to enable them to amalgamate with another club).The cup therefor is the property of the Library and the people of Northwich(so maybe it's time for the Town Council to step in and sort it out once and for all.

It's not listed as an asset on any of the administrators reports. If it was then they might have a claim, as it is I don't see how it can be?

If it had been listed as an asset then it would still belong to that version of NVFC in administration, since they have not yet been liquidated and the new version of NVFC is on record as buying only the intangible assets from the administrator. We've been round all these arguments before, though. Issues are clouded a little by the fact that there is now a different administrator in charge.

Alan it has never been owned by this Northwich Victoria,I have the proof(it has been in there possession,but not owned).If anyone wishes to confirm this they can go to Northwich Library and look up the "Northwich & Knustford Guardian" 15 November 1890,there is a detailed account of the two clubs "Northwic Victoria" and "Hartford and Davenham" amalgamation.It also has the details of the Cup being given to the Library and the reason why.It was also stated it would belong to the Brunner Free Library Museum for ever.

Yes, I know that, Toddy, but the problem is that nobody has kept any records of its whereabouts, let alone its ownership (presumed or actual), to the point that no current official of either Cheshire FA or the Museums & Libraries can say when it went from A to B to C in the past 20-30 years. Everyone seems to have assumed someone else was looking after it & doing the necessary paperwork. The Library refers you to CWAC Museums/Libraries who refer you to the FA who refer you to the Library and so on. But now it seems someone in Cheshire FA has done a bit of digging - hence the reference above to NV's attempts to sell it ... and I think this realisation has also woken the FA from their slumbers.

Back