• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Vics game

Why are you even here, reading this thread and commenting?
TBF Charliebel has always been a pretty regular poster on this forum and whilst - understandably - his posts are always biased toward Albion (it would be odd if they weren’t), he normally poses some pretty decent and fair points.

Oh, and let’s face it, the Albion Forum is so painfully dull and boring it’s little wonder why he (and many wittoners) decide to post on here so often rather than their own.

I'm not a Vics fan , and have never picked a fight in my life , and l'm 67 years old . In fact in the 70s l walked out of a non league football match at half time because l was watching my back instead of the game ( Mac fans ) and didn't go back to football till the 90s ....

Chris. I am 67 and was verbally abused by a Vics fan in Witton Street last week.
A few years ago in my voluntary role as a steward at Winsford, I was backed into a corner by four much younger Vics fans aged about 30 who then subsequently threatened Toddy Barlow who was in his 70s and an elderly disabled 1874 fan who was over 80 in the Winsford car park, hence my earlier comparison with Millwall fans. I would not want to be associated with such people in any capacity.

I can totally understand that, like l said l left football alone for the best part of 20 years, and to be honest l'm starting to feel like that again. The diving , the trying to con the referee all the time.
I see why you started you own team , but there are times when as a whole you can come over as self righteous....
Anyway l'll leave it at that , good luck but l think you are in for a struggle.
P.s in case you didn't guess l'm a Witton fan .
Miss the Cheshire League of the 60s .

It seems to me that there are a group of fans on here with a lot of hatred and anger towards a minority which every football club has. It's a shame that you can't see the bigger picture or discuss without being rude and coming across if 1874 are all angels also. I think as a neutral to all three of the bigger teams football will die and the days of the 70's and 80's will remain a distant memory but that is your right as owners to vote and make these decisions....I just hope that you all dont live to regret it including Vics and Witton.

Good luck with the league survival campaign, I hope you can get the results required

I'm not a Vics fan , and have never picked a fight in my life , and l'm 67 years old . In fact in the 70s l walked out of a non league football match at half time because l was watching my back instead of the game ( Mac fans ) and didn't go back to football till the 90s ....
Chris - for the avoidance of doubt, I wasn’t accusing you of any of those actions. Hope that this clears things up 👍

Having watched 2 games this season the Witton game & now the Vics game it sickens to what a sad state and the demise of non league football in this area..
The town throughout the 70’s/80’s was the pride of much of the country in the non league world.
Now what have we got 3 very poor teams which if you had the pick of the players together wouldn’t get in top 3 of this league.
So sad to see the demise of this once great footballing town.

Having watched 2 games this season the Witton game & now the Vics game it sickens to what a sad state and the demise of non league football in this area..
The town throughout the 70’s/80’s was the pride of much of the country in the non league world.
Now what have we got 3 very poor teams which if you had the pick of the players together wouldn’t get in top 3 of this league.
Unfortunately even competing at step 4 of non league now requires more than a bin lid for a stand and 11 lads who can fit into the shirts on the day.

We had 2 clubs back then and they both did just fine according to the rose tinted glasses that appear to have been handed out after Tuesday. I'm sure the third club hasn't made much of a difference considering none of them regularly boast 500+ in a town that's now 20k strong. It's 10 years too late for a one club mentality for the town.

We're at the point of needing a separate pinned thread for people to go and put their completely unique merger suggestions into. The only way a merger is even remotely successful in the town is a combination with Witton because no other team is going to get the space and resources to build a ground in the town ahead of the flats that "desperately" need building. I highly doubt that they would see any merger as beneficial and I personally wouldn't trust their club leadership given how they've failed to capitalise on a massive opportunity over the past decade to be the true primary team in the area, and all the supposed financial benefit that rewards.

Great post. I often think myself as being fortunate to have seen some great football / games in town at the Albion in the 80’s / early 90’s (and admittedly the odd big game at the DF) it was a very good standard of football back then.

I don’t think the town will see those days again unfortunately but glad “I was there” to see it at the time.

Unfortunately even competing at step 4 of non league now requires more than a bin lid for a stand and 11 lads who can fit into the shirts on the day.

We had 2 clubs back then and they both did just fine according to the rose tinted glasses that appear to have been handed out after Tuesday. I'm sure the third club hasn't made much of a difference considering none of them regularly boast 500+ in a town that's now 20k strong. It's 10 years too late for a one club mentality for the town.

We're at the point of needing a separate pinned thread for people to go and put their completely unique merger suggestions into. The only way a merger is even remotely successful in the town is a combination with Witton because no other team is going to get the space and resources to build a ground in the town ahead of the flats that "desperately" need building. I highly doubt that they would see any merger as beneficial and I personally wouldn't trust their club leadership given how they've failed to capitalise on a massive opportunity over the past decade to be the true primary team in the area, and all the supposed financial benefit that rewards.
You make a very valid point about Albion having failed to capitalise on the massively advantageous position they’ve had since 2012 when the VS was purchased by THOR and resulted in Vics becoming homeless nomads.

But I suspect what they would say is that neither Vics or 74 will never realistically be in a position to promote themselves as the No1 club in town - which leaves the way for them to do so for the foreseeable future. This being particularly so given that they are the only club of the trio to have a ground of their own - allied to what they are planning to do in the long term re their excellent youth structure, developing U21 / development side and ambitions for a 4G pitch to support these aims.

One of my two favourite books of all time Is “To Kill a Mocking Bird” by Harper Lee. In one of the best passages of the book, the hero of the story - Atticus Finch - explains to his young daughter Scout “You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view..until you climb in his skin and walk in it.”

So? given the situation I’ve described above and the long standing schism and resentment between the Green and Red sides of town, it’s a fair question to ask what benefits would a merger bring to them? After all, as I’ve intimated earlier, at present, all the cards would seem to be stacked in their favour.

So the million Dollar question is that given that they spectacularly failed to exploit all the massive advantages they’ve had since 2012, will they do so in the next decade or so?

You make a very valid point about Albion having failed to capitalise on the massively advantageous position they’ve had since 2012 when the VS was purchased by THOR and resulted in Vics becoming homeless nomads.

But I suspect what they would say is that neither Vics or 74 will never realistically be in a position to promote themselves as the No1 club in town - which leaves the way for them to do so for the foreseeable future. This being particularly so given that they are the only club of the trio to have a ground of their own - allied to what they are planning to do in the long term re their excellent youth structure, developing U21 / development side and ambitions for a 4G pitch to support these aims.

One of my two favourite books of all time Is “To Kill a Mocking Bird” by Harper Lee. In one of the best passages of the book, the hero of the story - Atticus Finch - explains to his young daughter Scout “You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view..until you climb in his skin and walk in it.”

So? given the situation I’ve described above and the long standing schism and resentment between the Green and Red sides of town, it’s a fair question to ask what benefits would a merger bring to them? After all, as I’ve intimated earlier, at present, all the cards would seem to be stacked in their favour.

So the million Dollar question is that given that they spectacularly failed to exploit all the massive advantages they’ve had since 2012, will they do so in the next decade or so?
I think we'd all love to go back to days of old regarding non league football. As I've said on numerous occasions unfortunately the interest just isn't there anymore.
With the availability of live games on TV most days of the week the prospect of watching a game on a cold Tuesday night in January isn't very attractive.
I remember the 15 a side games when I was a kid on the local park but the availability of PlayStation and X boxes have put pay to that.
However we can only keep trying to promote our clubs

I think we'd all love to go back to days of old regarding non league football. As I've said on numerous occasions unfortunately the interest just isn't there anymore.
With the availability of live games on TV most days of the week the prospect of watching a game on a cold Tuesday night in January isn't very attractive.
I remember the 15 a side games when I was a kid on the local park but the availability of PlayStation and X boxes have put pay to that.
However we can only keep trying to promote our clubs
I agree 100% and once you took the grounds out of the actual town the writing was on the wall for me !!

I think I have done quite well to keep the key board under wraps until now - but reading James' comment found me pressing the keys once more :)

On previous threads we have discussed at length the pressures and costs of keeping a team at a reasonable level in non-league and what could be done to fix that. You will be overjoyed to know I don't intend to revisit those discussions here. :). What I do ned to comment on is the failure of WAFC to capitalise on their position since 2012. I think its a fairly simple answer and that is we have failed to get enough folks through the turnstiles. I reckon it probably takes a gate of say 1000 (or gates and fundraising equivalent to that) to keep a team safe and competitive in the NPL. It places an enormous strain on the directors of the club and a number of solid seasons can be undone by one poor year when the club hasn't got the reserves to spend their way out of trouble. (As WAFC demonstrated) The one income source that allows a club to suddenly make that step is the FA Cup. One can only hope that a run in that competition comes our way soon. As Marine have shown it can change a club for a generation, but given our recent cup performances it doesn't look like happening soon.

Putting football aside - Happy New Year to one and all.

The rise and fall of 74 🤣🤣🤣 Another good result again today, can we hear the midlands sing I can't hear a f******g thing 😉

Back