• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Vics game

Harry Cain dislocated his shoulder in our first game in the NPL and never played for us again - but that had nothing to do with any issues with the management team. Far from it.
Where Harry is concerned, I think the issue is, he was sent to West Dids on dual reg, stated at the time it was “to get fit again” and come back when so, never to be seen in a 74 shirt again.

We however kept an ineffectual Lee Knight instead who was far from fit himself - still feel to this day that letting Harry go to get match fit was the wrong choice as he could’ve been utilised off the bench and in time been introduced back to our own lineup.

Tough, tough times but stop taking it out in the board and previous managers.

We are a tiny fish in a big league. Bow and Goodie weren’t daft - if there had been the players available who would come to us and not clubs with better facilities or more money, they would have signed them. Also, bad man-management? How many players did we see returning to play for them? Seemed to me like players were always very loyal to them.
We have a board working their arses off under really challenging conditions - put yourself forward if you think you could do it.
Damian must be wondering what the hell he’s walked into, but he needs support not griping. You can’t blame the guy for any of this. He’s got a virtually impossible job - players jumping ship, injuries, low morale. Sniping at him isn’t going to help anyone.
Finally… so Vics won this time. All the local teams go through ups and downs. I’m sure I speak for most of us when I say no matter what, I’d rather be part of 1874 than them any day! Just look at their social media posts - no class. They have a manager who only does post match interviews when they win, or just blames the referee every time - no class. Look at how some of their fans behave - no class. Still no one is quite sure how the whole thing is financed - no transparency.
Let’s hold our heads up. It’s a rubbish season, whatever happens we’ll move forward as an honest club with a great set of supporters, hard working volunteers and a board who only want the best for everyone.
If I could like this more than once I would. Absolutely spot on.

Chris W.

Yes, you are correct and if doing the right thing is being "self-righteous" then I am proud to say that we are.

I presume that you must be a Tory?

Didn't the majority of you all stand on the same terrace and support the same team ????
I'd walk away before sharing a terrace with them.

Besides - 1000+ for the actual derby vs Witton says otherwise.

Also, on facebook Simmo points out Ossett - where the merger was marketed as supercharging attendances by combining the two towns teams. This season they're lower than the two previous clubs last season combined.

Adding Vics 50 fans to our 250 is hardly going to be noticed.

View attachment 2566
It looked like they had more than 50 fans the other night

At the end of the day if it's not going to happen then it not going to happen and I'm reading there would be similar challenges from the Vics side also probably with 1874 walking away previously. It's a shame as it was once a great club and I remember the Charlton game and Northampton game well going as a young lad and its a shame we wont have those types of games again. I respect everyone's opinion and hope neither club lives to regret it

Why don't people put their names to the posts????
If you have anything to say then say it, don't hide behind a ,........... silly name.

If it is negative then put a resolution to your point.

Thank you. . Please!!
I'm sorry that you feel I dont have a right to remain anonymous and have a voice in how comfortable I feel in doing so. I'm sure you'll agree I am not being rude or disrespectful. If you dont want to hear about what many of us are feeling then thats a real shame. My resolution was that both teams need to sit around a table to discuss a way forward as one and I'm fairly certain that if we had a vote as two whole clubs it might be closer than you think.

Thank-you

First time poster, long time reader! Don’t come on here often but was mentioned at the game so thought I would nosey and give my 2 pence.

We keep speaking of the players from the past, where are they now – the NWC. I don’t understand why we keep looking to bring in players from higher leagues whereby we get a lot of inexperience or unproven guys those clubs are looking to go out for experience. We’re in a battle now until the end of the season and with such we need warriors. We need hungry experienced guys and I think players from the league below are our best bet. They will cost less but still have much more experience and know how to win games. Watching the game Tuesday, the main thing evident was the enemy knew how to battle and knew how to get the job done. We’re kidding ourselves if we don’t think we’re heading down, the Midlands league is now very realistic.

GoBo probably stayed in the seat longer than they should of, I don’t believe the board got the recruitment right and that’s not a slant on DC, it’s just I would of liked someone with more management experience given our current predicament. However we need to rally and get behind DC now to ensure the club survives. Has DC announced an assistant? I’ve seen him stood with someone but no idea who it is? Perhaps this is an option to bring in someone to help or another pool of players?

I’m not there Saturday but fingers crossed for a result! We need it!

First time poster, long time reader! Don’t come on here often but was mentioned at the game so thought I would nosey and give my 2 pence.

We keep speaking of the players from the past, where are they now – the NWC. I don’t understand why we keep looking to bring in players from higher leagues whereby we get a lot of inexperience or unproven guys those clubs are looking to go out for experience. We’re in a battle now until the end of the season and with such we need warriors. We need hungry experienced guys and I think players from the league below are our best bet. They will cost less but still have much more experience and know how to win games. Watching the game Tuesday, the main thing evident was the enemy knew how to battle and knew how to get the job done. We’re kidding ourselves if we don’t think we’re heading down, the Midlands league is now very realistic.

GoBo probably stayed in the seat longer than they should of, I don’t believe the board got the recruitment right and that’s not a slant on DC, it’s just I would of liked someone with more management experience given our current predicament. However we need to rally and get behind DC now to ensure the club survives. Has DC announced an assistant? I’ve seen him stood with someone but no idea who it is? Perhaps this is an option to bring in someone to help or another pool of players?

I’m not there Saturday but fingers crossed for a result! We need it!
The person normally close to Damian is Lee Jones. Lee is Jonah's brother and used to play for us 5 or 6 years ago

I am not from this area but am an interested observer of football in Northwich. Recent games in this area have exceeded 1,000 in the past 5 or 6 years, so the potential demand is there. Both of your clubs have keen volunteers, but very limited resources. Commercially speaking, neither are that appealing to local businesses to get behind, as the likelihood of any true return over 5 years is minimal. The lack of owning your own ground and the competition from Witton, Barnton, Winsford, Lostock, Middlewich and so on means that sponsoring you could get negative publicity. . Northwich has too many teams. Merge or fold, that is your stark reality.

I am not from this area but am an interested observer of football in Northwich. Recent games in this area have exceeded 1,000 in the past 5 or 6 years, so the potential demand is there. Both of your clubs have keen volunteers, but very limited resources. Commercially speaking, neither are that appealing to local businesses to get behind, as the likelihood of any true return over 5 years is minimal. The lack of owning your own ground and the competition from Witton, Barnton, Winsford, Lostock, Middlewich and so on means that sponsoring you could get negative publicity. . Northwich has too many teams. Merge or fold, that is your stark reality.

Amazing how many neutrals there are that take their time to register new accounts and post about merging two/three clubs they have no affinity to.

Not to be skeptical - and I understand that anonymity / usernames can be anything - but 'Arthur Dent' is the lead character in 'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy' so forgive me for not putting to much standing on what you are saying...

We smashed the ground record on Boxing Day with 1,000 and have pulled in five 315+ attendances as well.
We are currently 13th in the average league attendance, which isn't too bad..

I was proud to follow Vics from being a toddler and went to grounds all over the country from Torquay to Boston via Wembley. Fast forward and I had to chose between Connett/Rushe and Paul for the way ahead.
Not difficult and I see no reason to backtrack on that now.
There is a difference between self righteous and straightforward .
I still think we can stay in this league but the sun will still come up if we don't, and we can set off again in the true spirit of the game we all want to be part of.

Well just to answer the question from our recent new posters about any amalgamation with Vics from my perspective, I think that we'd be nieve to think that this wouldn't have its benefits in terms of:
1. Higher crowds
2. More volunteers
3. Would be a more attractive proposition for any potential financial support from the local authorities

However due to the negative feelings on both sides towards each other this is very likely a non starter, the only way I could see anything like this happening is when both clubs individually die and then I see the possibility of a future one town club especially if Witton also cease to exist

Last edited:
Reactions: Ben
Odd that another Interested neutral They only scene to come out from Under their rocks after we played vics
Is it not in your interest to get these neutrals following your club instead of questioning them.
We are more than happy to welcome any new fans at Witton

Is it not in your interest to get these neutrals following your club instead of questioning them.
We are more than happy to welcome any new fans at Witton
Completely agree with you Charliebel. We need to attract everyone we can- and this applies in all three clubs in town 😉

Back