• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Tonight

pdw

Too much time on my hands
Jul 28, 2013
Firstly can I say a massive thank you for the minutes silence impeccably observed for Phil Ward and My dad Don Whitehead, A fantastic gesture by the club.
Game wise I thought we were awful with no plan at all and were second best virtually all night, Don't want to say what I really think but I am concerned, Colne were there for the taking Saturday and we didn't do it.
amazed at how few Colne brought but things really need to improve for Saturday.
How much do we miss Chappie and Wardy in the middle.
See you Saturday...........

I've been relatively quiet so far this season, but after a few games I can safely say we've gone backwards this season. We might have the best team on paper, but we play on grass!

Been saying it for years now, Streets preferred formation doesn't work. Tactically an absolute nightmare. Changes needed.

We've got the players - But the way they're being asked to play isn't working.

Last edited:
254 was the attendance.

As for what they saw, not good at all. Poor night from us. I'll leave it there.

I know they are are stronger club than us and a league higher but you would still expect some kind of plan and a bit of passion.

Firstly have to congratulate Colne.They go about football the right way, no cheating or diving, just good hard team work. Good luck to them.
As for us...have to agree with above, the formation we use doesn't work.
Too many of last year's players are well below the standards they had last season.
Woolly and Jones don't work as a midfield pair, both are mainly defensive players and we end up playing a 6-0-4 formation with no midfield and a big useless ball up field.
Plus side, in Tom Bailey we have quality and effort. Poor lad ran his socks off chasing lost causes!. If we could get service to him he's in for a bag full.
Sadly results get crowds and this style is only going to make that crowd go one way.
Big game Sat to show what we can do.
COYG.

Last edited:
The biggest problem for me is that we lost are best player in Ryan Jackson and we have not replaced him anyway on to last night the midfielders non-existent the The defence looks like it's never played together before why do we keep playing this long ball game and if we going to play that keep the ball in the pitch the tactics are just shocking at times like the fact Ian said to Andy Simpson Poor preparation led to a slow start well sorry Ian your in charge of that rant over

See you all Saturday

Most disappointing thing is that we didn't even compete in the first half and gave it to them on a plate, thought we were better in the 2nd half and actually won the half 1-0 which I think is a slight positive that we can take from the game

Midfield is a real problem as we don't have anybody who is mobile enough to get forward and so we just lump the ball forward to the strikers, don't really know why we played Shelton at number 10 behind Bailey because he's clearly a winger and Stu Welstead clearly isn't so why not swap them around, presumably Sam Hind was slightly injured last night or why bench him after his goals on Saturday?

Someone asked last night "where is the midfield" and the reply was "hes suspended" and that sums it up unfortunately.

For me questions need to be asked, I agree a change is needed and we have a strong squad, so the questions are towards the manager. I don't want it to be like that but can we say we've progressed in recent years? Possibly we've been going backwards slowly. Ian's problems men's are purely tactical we weren't at all up for it last night and to blame poor preparation isn't good enough for an FA cup game.

I do hope it turns around and that we can get a stronger hold of games we scrap through too many times when teams that have dominated leagues have won convincingly week in week out. When have we ever done that.

I also believe we need to look at ourselves as fans we were so quiet last night from 1st minute even before there opening own goal.....

I will say that colne looked value for money last night and I do wish them well for the season.

The biggest problem for me is that we lost are best player in Ryan Jackson and we have not replaced him anyway on to last night the midfielders non-existent the The defence looks like it's never played together before why do we keep playing this long ball game and if we going to play that keep the ball in the pitch the tactics are just shocking at times like the fact Ian said to Andy Simpson Poor preparation led to a slow start well sorry Ian your in charge of that rant over

See you all Saturday

Also picked up on this last night about the preparation not being right now that's quite concerning in itself

The comment about preparation could cover any number of reasons from unexpected injury doubts to players inadvertently arriving later than usual, along many other possibilities? Not necessarily a cause for concern, maybe just things which need to be tightened up moving forward and I'm sure the management team will have it all in hand - assuming it is something within their control ;) While the result was disappointing and the performance wasn't the one fans expected, let's not get carried away with too much doom. gloom and conspiracy theories. Hopefully we'll see three points secured on Saturday and the league campaign back on track. :scarf:

Well as much as I enjoyed the first tie, the replay was so disappointing. I tweeted last night about players being up for it and in the right frame of mind re probably our biggest game of the season financially. If Warrington etc. could progress into the further rounds then why can't we with some good performances. Did our players believe this? I'm sorry I don't think some of them did. I am not saying they didn't want to win of course they did, but to beat these sort of teams you have to be on it with a plan from the first to the last minute.
I am not going to comment too much about the ins and outs of the game, just to say we were outplayed in the first half and only really got going when the subs were made.
I'll leave it there, suffice to say I am disappointed to go out like that but today is another day and we have a league and FA Vase to win!!

See you Saturday

It's always a shame we seem to start seasons this way as we end up left behind. Teams like Squires Gate don't have better players, they just look like they have a better plan.

For the first time since our start I was embarrassed for our team, I wasn't very well but promised my son so came anyway but it was a nightmare from the word go. Some Colne commentator had used MY seat for his luggage which was off putting enough but just before kick off another arrived so I had sat in the seats in front. Kick off came and in the 4th minute Matty Beadle scored and my golden goal was 3 mins lol. I knew it was going to be one of these nights , Watching how the game was going was hard enough but to have 2 people right behind me saying how wonderful Colne was again and again was just too much to handle. By half time I decided to leave and come back home as wasn't feeling very good. I just have never seen us play this bad. We lost a few great players and a lot are new but it's no different from when we first started and we were never that bad. Don't get me wrong I have supported Aberdeen for 40 years this year so I am used to embarrassing results but I guess watching us from the start of our first season I have been spoiled. I hope this is just a temporary position but it seems so far from the team that stuffed Witton so convincingly last season.

For the first time since our start I was embarrassed for our team, I wasn't very well but promised my son so came anyway but it was a nightmare from the word go. Some Colne commentator had used MY seat for his luggage which was off putting enough but just before kick off another arrived so I had sat in the seats in front. Kick off came and in the 4th minute Matty Beadle scored and my golden goal was 3 mins lol. I knew it was going to be one of these nights , Watching how the game was going was hard enough but to have 2 people right behind me saying how wonderful Colne was again and again was just too much to handle. By half time I decided to leave and come back home as wasn't feeling very good. I just have never seen us play this bad. We lost a few great players and a lot are new but it's no different from when we first started and we were never that bad. Don't get me wrong I have supported Aberdeen for 40 years this year so I am used to embarrassing results but I guess watching us from the start of our first season I have been spoiled. I hope this is just a temporary position but it seems so far from the team that stuffed Witton so convincingly last season.

Couldn't agree more Trev have to be careful on here with Critism some fans don't like you commenting on bad performances but think healthy Critism is what the team needs.

I agree Matt, healthy criticism is fine. I think some members might have "issues" when the the criticism is potentially destructive and not thought through properly before a post is made, perhaps, just a thought?

My own view on last night as I edit away:
1. Beadles goal was, I fear, an own goal by Mitch (sorry pal)
2. Never a penalty!
3. Poor defending for the third
4. Mitch's header didn't cross the line and...
5. What a poacher we have with Tom Bailey! Lineker would have been proud of the consolation and the third such goal he's scored like that this season.
Hopefully Sammy will be back on Saturday as well so heads up guys and a chance for a bit of revenge against Darwen!

(PS could be worse - instead of going out to a club a league higher, we could have lost at home to a team in the Dog and Duck 1st Division!;))
See you all Saturday - I love this club!
Up the '74

Back