• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Street has to go: Terrible run of matches, not getting any better

... although I'd rather we didn't end up where they ended up, I know what you mean, and agree that it is far far too early to throw in the towel just because of a couple of bad results.

I was referring to their onfield success, rather than the off field nightmare.

I know ;) - just thought I'd diffuse it before someone jumped on it!

Just would like to completely disassociate myself from the comments made by my dad. I do not agree with him and think that Streety has done a FANTASTIC job as manager and we have an equally great set of players. Now is the time to get behind them, not criticise them. We've only lost two games!

Out of interest, if results and performances don't improve, then what, do we need more new players, or some old ones back, does the training need looking at with so many injuries, then what, at the end of the day it's a results driven business and the buck stops with the manager, and before the abuse rolls in I don't want streety gone, also it can't be the officials fault every week surely

Last edited:
I have been "sitting back" and reading some comments on the site in some bewilderment, are some of us forgetting that we have just had a second defeat in a run that many other teams would be proud to have, I agree that yesterdays game is best forgot, the linesman disallowing a perfectly good goal with the ball OVER the line from my perfect viewpoint which he had also, with the Ref clearly having forgot to put on his "specs" for the game in my view, with our team not having the "win" aptitude, bad games happen so let us get back to the games that follow with confidence.

Out of interest, if results and performances don't improve, then what, do we need more new players, or some old ones back, does the training need looking at with so many injuries, then what, at the end of the day it's a results driven business and the buck stops with the manager, and before the abuse rolls in I don't want streety gone, also it can't be the officials fault every week surely
I don't want streets gone either, but I've wondred the same thing.
The board are very close with the manager and obviously have a certain friendship but as you said, a managers only as good as results and every manager has his limit otherwise they'd all be in the premier league.
We can't keep blaming injuries and officials when results are bad.
It's far too early to be worrying but if this did continue would we be brave enough to make the tough decisions?
Just a question....keep off the high horse!

I think that we should realize that WE need "Streety" more than he needs us, all Managers have problems at some time so the rest of us should let him know that our confidence is with him and are fully supportive of his leadership. I know that he will respond to the positive, just give him the time he needs and stop the "whinging".

Actually think all this talk of promotion doesn't do anyone any favours other than spur on opposing teams, who see a victory over us as some sort of scalp. Just seems to add an unnecessary pressure on our players and we seem to suffer from it. Whether you think we will challenge for promotion or not - it's something to talk about in Feb / March - not over the summer and mid Sept.

Not sitting too shabby considering injuries / absentees. Tough game Wednesday - Liverpool played some good stuff vs Linnets on one of my recent trips to Runcorn. Be good to see Matty back between the sticks and hopefully a start for Beads.

The board are very close with the manager and obviously have a certain friendship (VERY TRUE BLACKIE - WE HAVE A NUMBER OF SUB COMMITTEES AT THE CLUB AND ONE IS THE FOOTBALL SUB COMMITTEE) but as you said, a manager is only as good as results and every manager has his limit otherwise they'd all be in the premier league.

We can't keep blaming injuries and officials when results are bad. (AGAIN VERY TRUE - I CAN ASSURE YOU THAT IAN AND HIS ASSISTANTS KNOW ONLY TOO WELL
WHEN THE SIDE UNDERPERFORMS and IN ALL HONESTY SO TOO DO MOST OF THE PLAYERS - they don't set out to underperform!)

It's far too early to be worrying (AGREED)but if this did continue would we be brave enough to make the tough decisions? (YES)
Just a question....keep off the high horse! (NO HIGH HORSE FROM ME BLACKIE - SOME GOOD QUESTIONS FROM YOU)

I know what forums are for but, and this is purely a personal opinion, the headline for this thread hasn't really helped matters - but thankfully every reply tends to support our Manager and his team with all that he has produced " on our behalf" so far.

Perhaps we receive some slightly negative comments because we have been quite successful in our short history?

I do tend to think that at least 95% or 1874 supporters well happy!

Actually think all this talk of promotion doesn't do anyone any favours other than spur on opposing teams, who see a victory over us as some sort of scalp. Just seems to add an unnecessary pressure on our players and we seem to suffer from it. Whether you think we will challenge for promotion or not - it's something to talk about in Feb / March - not over the summer and mid Sept.

Not sitting too shabby considering injuries / absentees. Tough game Wednesday - Liverpool played some good stuff vs Linnets on one of my recent trips to Runcorn. Be good to see Matty back between the sticks and hopefully a start for Beads.

People talk about promotion because we've got a squad more than capable of it, it shows how much confidence people have in the players.

This league is by far the hardest to get out of and when we do I think we'd have reached our financially sustainable ceiling.
I personally don't see what the rush for promotion is all about, its not a race to be the biggest club in Northwich unlike one club we could mention. We're three years old and only one league below the only Northwich rival that matters, WAFC!
When promotion comes, it comes, in the meantime enjoy what we have and get that JRFC mentality out of your head, its false farcical fantasy.

I think to worry is for some is that we get stuck in this league and attendances slowly drop off. But, Take a look at linnets, they've been in the this league a number of years and their attendance seem to be going up every year.

I think to worry is for some is that we get stuck in this league and attendances slowly drop off. But, Take a look at linnets, they've been in the this league a number of years and their attendance seem to be going up every year.

Just a comment on that point. As long as you guys have been around our attendances have been very good, but the reason for that is that we have been very successful and challenging for promotion until the last week or so of the last few years, you get a gut feeling that you just cant miss a game in case something happens so most go to all the games.

But its not always been like that. When we came into this league in 2007 we thought we would waltz it, no way can it be so different from the 1st division we thought. But the gap is probably a non-league equivalent of the gap between the Championship and Premier league. Just look at Atherton Colls. We started to struggle and finished mid-table 3 or 4 years running and suddenly your not on the crest of a successful wave anymore and attendnaces did start to drop. Particularly in our last year at Witton where we rarely attracted a crowd in the 200's, averaging about 150. The move back to Runcorn help massively, but even then once the initial buzz was over crowds were low 200's until Joey Dunn came in and made us competitive at the top of the league. I cant speak for 1874 supporters, but football fans in particular tend to be very fickle. They are all there when your up top and challenging, but should you find yourselves mid-table in Jan/Feb and out of the title race a midweek home game against Alsager when its freezing cold and throwing down suddenly doesn't seem very appealing to the less die-hard amongst you and the numbers start to drop. A vicious cycle then begins where your not bringing in the numbers to allow for a budget that makes you competitive at the top of the league so you continue to struggle. Sounds far fetched, but this happened to us. Three managers had a go and failed at getting us to the top of this league before Joey came in, only then did the crowds rise and stay at 320+ average. For what its worth, if we don't go up this year I think our crowds will start to drop off.

Take this comment as you will, but I think that some people on here still drastically underestimate what it takes to get out of this league. There is a comment above that you have a squad " more than capable to win promotion ", but Im not sure how you can say that after only one season in the league. You have only seen Glossop as a comparison and your squad is not close to the strength of what theirs was. Fully fit starting 11 v theirs possibly, but a squad clearly not as you are all commenting on injuries being a reason for a drop in form. You simply cant afford that to happen. When Glossop got injuries or 5 games in a week etc, they went out and signed quality players on and their squad became totally interchangeable, it didn't really matter who they picked because any of their 20 players were excellent. Apart from once they had won the league and started playing the 45 year old assistant manager and so on but that was to save their legs for Wembley. I have seen the same with Newcastle Town, Ramsbottom, AFC Fylde ( who were an unbelievably talented side ), New Mills and Salford City. You need a squad of players who are better than most others in the league. Our squad was very thin when we played you last week but 3 or 4 real quality signings has sorted that and when we finally get over our own injuries we should have squad that can challenge for top spot again.

One thing I would add to the above is this. Should you ever fall victim to the loss of income that dry spells can bring, you currently have a manager who took a Maine Road side with no budget at all ( £10 for each player and only if they won ) to the top 3 in the league for a few years running, so he can do it without a big budget as he has proven before.

Hi Stebiggy it was good to meet you at Abbey Hey and have a good discussion. Didn't see you at the end but your lads were miles better than what we saw at the Barton Stadium against us. As you probably gathered I thought we didn't play well that day against you but you were not that good either. However I was really impressed at Abbey.

I still think you are beatable but you talk about strength in depth and that is something we are struggling with at the moment. I am sure Ian is looking around at the moment and for us to challenge we need this but it is also difficult keeping players happy when they are on the bench some of the time. We have some good characters in our team to grab this lean spell and turn it around, especially when players return from injury.

As for our crowds, we have a good core following and although we should not be complacent I trust that the majority will back us through the winter whatever happens. Let's face it in the late 2000's we had a few lean years with Vics that were scraping the barrel but we still managed decent crowds. Also there is no real threat from JRFC!

Anyway, I hope a couple of our old lads will do the business tonight for Winsford at the Barton Stadium and you end up with nil points!

Don't we just love the banter!!

I am 100% behind Ian Street and the team and hope we can turn things around.

However we all have to be concerned about the following:

1) The continued lack of discipline shown by the players and manager. There have been far too many red cards!!
2) Strength of this seasons squad, are the new players better than we had last season? Is there any improvement?
3) The defence, why did we play Elliot a left back next to the centre half making his full debut and have Louis James on the bench, I think an old head like Duckworth would have helped on Saturday. Maybe Louis James was injured....
4) The slight drop in attendances. I was disappointed at 435 v Linnets I was expected a lot more to turn up. Perhaps we need to work on some incentives to get more people in.

I don't think we win the league and get promotion this season, and that's ok, but with the early exit in the cup we really do need to compete in the league or the attendances (and pie sales) could really drop.

We still have the Vase so lets hope we can have a decent run in that and get a bit of momentum going.

Sorry if its a bit negative but Saturday wasn't the officials fault we weren't good enough and we didn't show any discipline when decisions didn't go our way.

Evergreen, did you go on Saturday, or have you watched the video back?..... perfectly good goal ruled out and then the assault on our lad from their number 10? How Kirk was the only one cited in the aftermath is beyond me when the 10 got nothing at all... the officials had a big say in how the game played out...

Just a comment on that point. As long as you guys have been around our attendances have been very good, but the reason for that is that we have been very successful and challenging for promotion until the last week or so of the last few years, you get a gut feeling that you just cant miss a game in case something happens so most go to all the games.

But its not always been like that. When we came into this league in 2007 we thought we would waltz it, no way can it be so different from the 1st division we thought. But the gap is probably a non-league equivalent of the gap between the Championship and Premier league. Just look at Atherton Colls. We started to struggle and finished mid-table 3 or 4 years running and suddenly your not on the crest of a successful wave anymore and attendnaces did start to drop. Particularly in our last year at Witton where we rarely attracted a crowd in the 200's, averaging about 150. The move back to Runcorn help massively, but even then once the initial buzz was over crowds were low 200's until Joey Dunn came in and made us competitive at the top of the league. I cant speak for 1874 supporters, but football fans in particular tend to be very fickle. They are all there when your up top and challenging, but should you find yourselves mid-table in Jan/Feb and out of the title race a midweek home game against Alsager when its freezing cold and throwing down suddenly doesn't seem very appealing to the less die-hard amongst you and the numbers start to drop. A vicious cycle then begins where your not bringing in the numbers to allow for a budget that makes you competitive at the top of the league so you continue to struggle. Sounds far fetched, but this happened to us. Three managers had a go and failed at getting us to the top of this league before Joey came in, only then did the crowds rise and stay at 320+ average. For what its worth, if we don't go up this year I think our crowds will start to drop off.

Take this comment as you will, but I think that some people on here still drastically underestimate what it takes to get out of this league. There is a comment above that you have a squad " more than capable to win promotion ", but Im not sure how you can say that after only one season in the league. You have only seen Glossop as a comparison and your squad is not close to the strength of what theirs was. Fully fit starting 11 v theirs possibly, but a squad clearly not as you are all commenting on injuries being a reason for a drop in form. You simply cant afford that to happen. When Glossop got injuries or 5 games in a week etc, they went out and signed quality players on and their squad became totally interchangeable, it didn't really matter who they picked because any of their 20 players were excellent. Apart from once they had won the league and started playing the 45 year old assistant manager and so on but that was to save their legs for Wembley. I have seen the same with Newcastle Town, Ramsbottom, AFC Fylde ( who were an unbelievably talented side ), New Mills and Salford City. You need a squad of players who are better than most others in the league. Our squad was very thin when we played you last week but 3 or 4 real quality signings has sorted that and when we finally get over our own injuries we should have squad that can challenge for top spot again.

One thing I would add to the above is this. Should you ever fall victim to the loss of income that dry spells can bring, you currently have a manager who took a Maine Road side with no budget at all ( £10 for each player and only if they won ) to the top 3 in the league for a few years running, so he can do it without a big budget as he has proven before.

Ste,

Regarding your last paragraph. If your refering to Ian Street I think you may be mixing him up with Ian Walker. To my knowledge Streety has never been the manager at Maine Road. He was at Ashton Ath before us and Winsford and Witton before that. I may be wrong if any stattos outhere can provide more info.

My apologies if that's the case, not sure where I got it from! Possibly because you have had a lot of players from the successful Maine Road team and they do often follow managers around.

Evergreen, did you go on Saturday, or have you watched the video back?..... perfectly good goal ruled out and then the assault on our lad from their number 10? How Kirk was the only one cited in the aftermath is beyond me when the 10 got nothing at all... the officials had a big say in how the game played out...
Yep I was there, the officials were poor but they usually are.
They clearly didn't see the incident but they saw Kirk try and take the law into his own hands and the ref obviously wasn't happy with the behavior of our manager.
Perhaps if we had an organized defence (preferably made up of defenders) and if we had kept the ball more, kept 11 players on the field, our manager in the dug out and generally played to the standard we are capable of.... then perhaps we would have got more out of the game.
Blaming the officials for the result is nonsense and I think you know that.

Back