• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Step 5 promotion null & void ?

All of the above posts in the past few days with the various possible scenarios being outlined merely underlines the fact that in deciding to cancel steps 3-7 of NL the FA jumped the gun. The decision was hasty, not properly consulted upon, and could not have been made after considering all the facts (simply because we do not know all the facts). They could have waited, they could have looked to preserve the integrity of football across all levels by having one uniform decision. But they didn't. And that is what annoys the most.

I think the crux of the argument is "they could have waited". I am not sure if that is true or not, but what is clear is that the FA have not come out of the long grass to explain why the reasons for taking a decision now were so compelling.

I think the crux of the argument is "they could have waited". I am not sure if that is true or not, but what is clear is that the FA have not come out of the long grass to explain why the reasons for taking a decision now were so compelling.

It’s the inconsistency. Rick Parry suggests in the Guardian that the EFL are prepared to wait it out and finish off the season. While I accept the FA struggle with jurisdiction over the EPL, surely they have the power to direct the Football League to do as they’ve dictated Step 3-7 do. Likewise the NL. But of course money is involved here and the FA don’t wasn’t to get in the crossfire of potential litigation, which suggests they know deep down that their decision with Step 3-7 was less than watertight? IF South Shields, Hastings, Halesowen et al, have the financial resources to test the FA’s (potentially) hasty actions, then things could get complicated very quickly.

But how much in the thinking of the FA was players being paid when there isnt much chance of restarting. Every NL team has players on contracts even 1874. Maybe they thought by null and void early it would help NL clubs is plan knowing that the season has finished. How many mid table teams would want to keep paying players indefinately while the FA dally. Tez u mention integrity of the league, how many mid tables teams are going to be trying there best. Some will have lost family members to this virus.

I read somewhere there is something like 1600 NL teams. A vast majority will be thankful of an early decision by the FA.

One thing for certain there's going to be winners and losers in any decision they make.

But the point is they aren’t making a universal decision across the board. I’ll go with your reasoning that they thought it would help cut costs (although few Step 5 players are contracted and those that are won’t be on money that would break the bank), but if that’s the case why aren’t they insisting the National League set up follows suit? Some of their members have eye watering contractual commitments.

The coronavirus has affected many people over a broad range of livelihoods, I don’t see what it has to do with midtable sides trying or not trying their best, any more than sides fighting relegation or vying for promotion. CV19 is serious yes and certainly more important than a game of football. Loss and individual struggle should be respected, however I don’t think this particular point deserves to belong in the same conversation.

We all agree there is no way of resolving this season in a 'fair' way. There will be winners and losers. However, although I know it is not intended, the fact remains that 80% of the season was played and to just void it ends up rewarding failure by saving clubs from relegation who are not playing well at the expense of clubs towards the top who can show significant achievement.
Yes, not ideal, but ppg rewards success more than failure.
The above point is just a personal opinion but separate to that I think the FA have handled it dreadfully in so many ways. They do a lot of good in the game, particularly at grass roots level, but on the more global football issues they leave a lot to be desired.

The National League has ended the season, but no decision on PPG or voiding it.

The National League has ended the season, but no decision on PPG or voiding it.

Shock ... horror ..... THEY ..... have a choice :rolleyes:

I can see a few legal ears pricking up in n the North East right now.;)

Back