• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Next season. Time for a change?

If we fail to gain promotion, is it time for a change at the top?

• Yes

Votes: 28 51.9%
  • No

Votes: 26 48.1%

• Total voters
reasons for Ian to stay
1 his win percentage
reasons for Ian to go

1 boring football
2 can't get players up for a game
3 his tactics
4 can't change a game only one plan
5 that articl how dose not like fan own clubs
6 playing players in wrong positions
7 cant take criticism
8 the players have no respect for him like greg went for a corner ian said stay back and told him to **** off
9 losing key player

Not wanting to get drawn into this discussion too much, having only viewed most of the season from afar, but if you want a for/against list I think you have to add
- knowledge of/contacts in local NL football
- recruiting key players (eg to replace last season's strikeforce)
to the 'for' list.
And maybe add
- lack of proven history of title/promotion credentials
to the 'against' list.

Meanwhile I'd say that the 'against' side 3 & 4 are essentially the same (maybe even the same as 1 and 6?). Also maybe 5 is evidence of 7?

Any for/against list produced by someone on one side of any argument will naturally result in more reasons to support their argument. I'm sure someone at Board level will be updating their managerial SWOT analysis.

Ian street has done a fantastic job establishing the club. He has brought us our first trophy, has an impressive win record and has been a major part of our journey as a fan run club.

However...

This year, with all the signings made, showed real promise for a positive season. These players have won this league before, played at Wembley in the Vase final during their time as an attacking, exciting GNE side. At 1874 we just haven't seen that, and largely I'm afraid the blame lies with the manager.

I do believe that Ian has taken 1874 Northwich as far as he can. To reach the next level I think a change of manager, a change of style is required. The squad we have is brilliant, but the players just aren't being utilised effectively. It's simply put, been boring to watch this year, not enjoyable.

People will ask who would we get to replace Ian, and I have a number of candidates that I would personally consider, for one reason or another...

1) Scott Dundas- a flop at W*tton, but took Norton up a few years back. Knows how to get out of the league, and whilst in temporary charge with Alsager last season seemed to regalvinise them and was unlucky to not keep them up.

2) Steve Settle- has done an incredibly job with West D and I have been impressed with them and their largely attacking mentality when we have played them. With the resources we have, I think Settle would be an excellent choice.

3) Lee Duckworth- his Winsford side on Boxing Day worked hard, were organised and effective. Only problem is, he's manager at Winsford and that would be a very unpopular move with our landlords should we take their manager.

There could and probably is candidates I haven't thought of and others who don't seem obvious, should Ian Street tenure with us as manager end in the near future.

Building now for next season is crucial, and unfortunately I do think Ian has taken us as far as he can.

I know you guys want to watch your team play like the Harlem Globe Trotters every game, so believe me as someone who had to watch in anguish as Norton pipped us to the title, you dont want Scott Dundas as manager!

Norton were an extremely effective side but terrible to watch if pure attacking football is your thing, which it clearly is at 1874.

I think the time has come for Street to go. Yes, his overall win record is a decent one and his efforts in winning us the MSC and securing a promotion (all be it through default), are not to be forgotten.

However, after nearly four seasons, I like others would say it's time for a change. He has now had three chances to get us promoted and fallen short every time, which was the same at Winsford. Not just that, but Street's negative style of play, poor tactics, a lack of a plan b, poor team selections, not turning up in big games and a general failure to get the best out of one of the best squads in the league, are all reasons why he should go.

I'm afraid that far too many times this season we have been poor and boring to watch, and it has inevitably had an affect on the attendances which should be of concern to us all. So let's bring in a change of management now who can bring fresh ideas and give us a fighting chance of promotion next season. It seems like this is a majority view point amongst the fan base, if we take this forum poll as a snapshot of fan opinion. Time for Street to go.

if we take this forum poll as a snapshot of fan opinion.

When you take in to account the 150 fans that have already walked away, it doesn't make good reading for Street.

Probably many more forum users have wanted to vote "Yes", but haven't been able to access the forum due to some of the moderators heavy handedness towards people who show discontent.

Michael Ellison isn't doing too bad eh Steve. He'll do!!

He is doing very well indeed! I think that we will be much better still next season now that everything's settling down and he is able to sign the players he wants.

Your lads would have no chance working under him Alan, his first demand above anything else is that we are the hardest working side in the league.

Chosing not to turn up to games is very damaging to the club, it means less income through the gates. No, I'm not particularly enjoying this season, Squires Gate at home three weeks ago was probably our best home performance. But ill always be there, home or away because our club relies on our money to run, it doesn't have mysterious backers or a local money man.

Yeah you might not agree with streety as manager, but don't take that out on the Club or the board, it needs our support.

Plee to any supporter, hardcore or one of the '150'...stick by the 74, I'm sure the manager and his team will be looking to start improving things now, albeit a new player, new formation...

We are an ambitious club, but things take time...

Last edited:
Chosing not to turn up to games is very damaging to the club, it means less income through the gates. No, I'm not particularly enjoying this season, Squires Gate at home three weeks ago was probably our best home performance. But ill always be there, home or away because our club relies on our money to run, it doesn't have mysterious backers or a local money man.

Yeah you might not agree with streety as manager, but don't take that out on the Club or the board, it needs our support.

Plee to any supporter, hardcore or one of the '150'...stick by the 74, I'm sure the manager and his team will be looking to start improving things now.

We are an ambitious club, but things take time...
Well said Jack

Take a look at Linnets who've been trying to get out of this league for a lot longer than we have.
Dread to think what would happen if we did get promotion, when would the complaining stop? What level of football would be acceptable for our fans? We are never going to overspend to push beyond our limits and we're never going to see Conference Football again, so strike that delusional illusion off the list. I do however believe that we could compete at EvoStik North/South and possibly Prem but its a long way off and that would be our ceiling. So stop making a rush out of it all, Rome wasnt built in a day, just enjoy the football that we have.

But then "we're lucky to have a football team" attitude, unfortunately will land us in hot water.

If attendances continue to fall at the rate they are this time next year we could be looking at averaging below 200.

Then we'd have a mountain to climb to get out this league, end up in financial difficulties, now we don't want to end up there again.

This thread is clear, the fans have spoken. It's up to the board that are elected by the fans to decide whether to take notice of it.

Reactions: Ben
Id love for someone who used to come but no longer does, to come on here and explain why...

"This thread is clear, the fans have spoken" I think not.

Some fans have spoken and others are prepared to leave it to Brian Edge, Ian Street and others to manage the situation.

Do you remember not long ago when Ian, in an interview said he wants to play more attacking football? I think he deserves a chance to atleast prove this, we have nothing to lose now this season so we may as well!

"This thread is clear, the fans have spoken" I think not.

Some fans have spoken and others are prepared to leave it to Brian Edge, Ian Street and others to manage the situation.

Well if over 60% of forum users saying it, and attendances 150 less than they were a couple of season ago doesn't hit the message home - nothing will.

Do you remember not long ago when Ian, in an interview said he wants to play more attacking football? I think he deserves a chance to atleast prove this, we have nothing to lose now this season so we may as well!

Well, he's done the exact opposite.

Sorry Jack, but we've heard this and statements like it a lot now and nothing changes, in fact we just go backwards.

No, nothing has changed, yet. I didn't say it had. We were still within a chance of potentially winning the league, so thats why he was maybe holding back a bit, but we're not now, are we? Hence why I said he has a "chance to prove this"

I just want to go to football and be entertained, we have the squad for it (you'd think so) but it hasn't happened enough this season.

Last edited:
Where is the over 60% results saying yes I just looked at it at the top and it said 52.3 yes 47.7 no,is there another poll.

Just looked again the poll has altered to 24 yes 54.5 % from 23 yes 52.3% and the no altered from 21 no 47.7% how does that work how can there be one no less than there was before or did I misread the first poll?,but it's still not over 60% or is there another poll? somewhere.

Back