• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Next season. Time for a change?

If we fail to gain promotion, is it time for a change at the top?

• Yes

Votes: 28 51.9%
  • No

Votes: 26 48.1%

• Total voters

Andy

Too much time on my hands
Politics 5
Jul 28, 2013
Now it is looking increasingly unlikely that we will achieve promotion this season, thought I'd stoke up a bit of discussion, it would be interesting to gauge the feeling amongst fans.

If we are unsuccessful in gaining promotion this year, is it time for a change in management for next season?

Now, there is good reason for this question, let's just run through them:

- The football, especially this season, has been poor. Even when we win, there isn't much enjoyment to be taken from it.

- We've got one hell of a squad, for whatever reason, Street hasn't got the best out of them.

- The performances have had a knock on effect on the attendances. 220 today. We're supposed to be in a title race?! Sure, you can use every excuse under the sun regarding the dwindling attendances and bury your head in the sand. The major factor is the performances. I didn't bother today, and I've barely missed a game since day 1. If your "diehards" like myself are losing interest, you've got big problems.

- We've scored 47 less goals that Bootle. Yes, you read that right. 47!

- There is a growing trend. And unfortunate growing trend. When we start playing good football, all of the sudden, that's all thrown out the window in a big game.

Before anyone loses the minds. This is a fans forum, the whole purpose of this thread is to start a discussion. Because we're treading water at the moment, and slowly drowning.

I'm sure he's a great bloke and done a great job with some fantastic moments, but it's time for change for me. I'm getting fed up going to watch and it's not a good feeling.

Agree with everything Andy says. Streety has done a great job but not getting the best out of some top quality players. Definitely gone backwards this season.

Reactions: Ben
Ian street has done a fantastic job establishing the club. He has brought us our first trophy, has an impressive win record and has been a major part of our journey as a fan run club.

However...

This year, with all the signings made, showed real promise for a positive season. These players have won this league before, played at Wembley in the Vase final during their time as an attacking, exciting GNE side. At 1874 we just haven't seen that, and largely I'm afraid the blame lies with the manager.

I do believe that Ian has taken 1874 Northwich as far as he can. To reach the next level I think a change of manager, a change of style is required. The squad we have is brilliant, but the players just aren't being utilised effectively. It's simply put, been boring to watch this year, not enjoyable.

People will ask who would we get to replace Ian, and I have a number of candidates that I would personally consider, for one reason or another...

1) Scott Dundas- a flop at W*tton, but took Norton up a few years back. Knows how to get out of the league, and whilst in temporary charge with Alsager last season seemed to regalvinise them and was unlucky to not keep them up.

2) Steve Settle- has done an incredibly job with West D and I have been impressed with them and their largely attacking mentality when we have played them. With the resources we have, I think Settle would be an excellent choice.

3) Lee Duckworth- his Winsford side on Boxing Day worked hard, were organised and effective. Only problem is, he's manager at Winsford and that would be a very unpopular move with our landlords should we take their manager.

There could and probably is candidates I haven't thought of and others who don't seem obvious, should Ian Street tenure with us as manager end in the near future.

Building now for next season is crucial, and unfortunately I do think Ian has taken us as far as he can.

I see on the Witton forum they are gloating about us losing player's,well it proves one thing,we sign players other clubs want and they sign players nobody wants.;)
Witton turn those no hopers into battlers and hard workers, your top squad seemed to have lost their way. will the manager take some of the blame ? or will he get the hump because a few fans have dared vent their opinions on an independent fans forum.

We play players out of position a lot. Why? We can probably all work that out.

Square pegs in round holes don't win you the league.

Biggest playing budget in the league and arguably the best team (on paper). However you still seem unable to win the games that matter and attendances are only going one way. You've possibly missed out on a massive opportunity this year as most observers would say that this is one of the poorest NWC Prem (in terms of quality) for a number of years and you should have easily won it with your budget. I certainly think that the teams Glossop, Rammy, Newcastle Town, Fylde, Fleetwood etc had when they went up would have had this league sewn up by now and I honestly expected similar from 1874 when I saw your signings in the summer. Next year may well be a lot tougher with linnets having a full pre-season together and some good sides coming up from the league below. The other point I would make is that Ian Street didn't actually get you promoted from the league below and he had to rely on the demise of Formby. A lack of goals scored was your problem that season and it still is and he's had 3 seasons to try and resolve that without success.

Last edited:
Witton turn those no hopers into battlers and hard workers, your top squad seemed to have lost their way. will the manager take some of the blame ? or will he get the hump because a few fans have dared vent their opinions on an independent fans forum.

Of course he will - get the hump that is, not take some of the blame. He just needs a media outlet that he can use to have a pop at the fans and the fan ownership model......again. Still surprises me now that the board didn't comment on this, perhaps they thought it was justified in some way with him coming under pressure from parts of the fanbase.

How does anyone know who's got the biggest budget??
Good point Kit. However, that's certainly the perception around the league. It might be incorrect but I don't think it is looking at the players you have and their quality. Money talks at all levels of the game.

You said it like it was fact. Agree with the rest though. To be fair, I'm happy not winning leagues and playing in the nwcfl if we have a team with a bit of fight and team spirit.

Good point Kit. However, that's certainly the perception around the league. It might be incorrect but I don't think it is looking at the players you have and their quality. Money talks at all levels of the game.

The players Colls are bringing in lately would say there budget isn't to shabby either!

I come in peace. I think this is 1874's first mini-crisis where most of your die-hards feel that this was 'your' season & your signings were good (on paper) & you would be competing for a promotion place all season. Things have gone a bit pear-shaped of late & Ian Street has, seemingly, not been able to put over his managerial quality onto the pitch in the crucial game at Colls and, more importantly, today.
When he was the manager of WUFC he couldn't achieve that all-important next step & challenge for top spot and it appears that the lack of impact has shown its head again. I'm sure you're all concerned that the poor performances & very poor results of late are having a negative affect on attendances but you're a young club, this is your first dilemma, and this, I'm afraid, is non-league football at its most frustrating. Decisions need to be made & they'll not be easy.
Other writers have mentioned their suggestions as replacements. Don't go near Dundas. Cunny is a one-club man, Colne FC has & always will be in his blood even when he played for Witton & Linnets.
I'll read this thread with interest.
GE

It's a good time to get a new manager in, the league is beyond us now. I wouldn't go searching though, we are a top club for our level and people will want to manage us. It's a prestigious job and should be a privilege for someone to manage a fan run club like ours.

First mention of Ian's time at Winsford by GE. I read at the time we appointed him that he got them to a top 5 but then could do no more.

I suppose at the end of the day it's what the chairman and board have set the targets to be.
If that is to be a top 6 side in this league with gates off 225+ then he's achieving his goals .

Have these objectives ever been published ?

The targe should be win the league. Anything other than that is a lack of ambition. Colls and Linnets would have both kicked the first ball this season with the Target of being champions.

Back