• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

New ground

Need to wait out on the proposed road structure to the ground, But !, wait for the outcry if it affects Whitegate !!..-

Lots to find out and discuss yet. But still think the benefits far outweigh the negatives. Personally I think we would be mad not to get involved. Great facilities at little/no extra cost to us. Better football etc Opportunities to bring in more income from beer sales etc.
And I feel the gates would improve because of this.
Hope I’m wrong but I can see the gates diminishing at Barnton over next 2 years particularly if we are not fighting it out at the top of the league.
Many teams play on the outskirts or outside of their towns so for me this is not so important.
Can’t see any opportunities more central to Northwich and obviously neither can Cheshire F A.
Many don’t seem to agree with me but surely we have got to be progressive.

Been thinking this through since it was announced and I still can't think of any positives, for me the facilities being better isn't enough of a reason to move technically even further away from the town that we have in our club name, its been suggested on here that this move will apparently attract better players (it won't, paying them will do that and we don't want to to that) and will also increase attendances (how and why would this be the case?, it won't Imo), a move to Barnton on a longer term basis Imo is what's best for our club on the whole and would still give us a better facility (minus the car park) than the BS imho

Disappointed,
The proposed site is in the middle of nowhere and access is poor. I can't for the life of me see how this is going to work for Cheshire FA, if their purpose for the hotel was to attract international teams while awaiting games in either Manchester or Liverpool.
Landing at Manchester airport the complex needed to be to the north of Northwich close to the A556 for easy access.
The only way I can see this working is to have a By pass for Winsford from the A353 near Moulton to to the A54 on the other side of Winsford, passing Knights Grange, this would be too expensive as it would require a bridge over the Weaver.
Disappointed but not surprised.

The idea of the club ever getting our own ground in the Northwich area in the first instance was farcical, at the start there was no land available and none within a three mile area of the Bull Ring that could be purchased, all in the Land banks of builders and further more the sort of monies required was not attainable.

We are fortunate in having the opportunity offered that we have at Winsford so let us grab it, there are many clubs who are based much further out of their town than we are so all praise to the 1874 Committee in having the ability that the Cheshire FA were looking for, well done !.

To turn this down, would be insane.

Remember, we would only be tenents at the Cheshire FA stadium, therefore, it wouldnt be permanent, we could keep looking for options in Northwich for a permanent home while enjoying the world class facilities.

Just a thought, lets hear the plans first, everyone just breathe...????????

Last edited:
Lots to find out and discuss yet. But still think the benefits far outweigh the negatives. Personally I think we would be mad not to get involved. Great facilities at little/no extra cost to us. Better football etc Opportunities to bring in more income from beer sales etc.
And I feel the gates would improve because of this.
Hope I’m wrong but I can see the gates diminishing at Barnton over next 2 years particularly if we are not fighting it out at the top of the league.
Many teams play on the outskirts or outside of their towns so for me this is not so important.
Can’t see any opportunities more central to Northwich and obviously neither can Cheshire F A.
Many don’t seem to agree with me but surely we have got to be progressive.
Totally agree briswa

Couldn’t agree less pdw. As has been said nothing to stop us still looking for a Northwich site though am pretty sure we will never find one and where do we get the millions needed for one. Far too negative. We must take this opportunity and I will be equally disappointed if we don’t.

Winning the lottery would be a solution but affording to play it is one stumbling block, Also wouldn’t be able to decide if to buy land and build ground or make sure new ground has helipad and buying a helicopter, then I thought of Leicester and wondered if too soon ????

Certainly I would’ve hoped for a site closer to Northwich, but let’s be realistic here, how many other options were there? I’m sure Moss Farm or Lostock may have been people’s preferred choice, but it appears they weren’t possible - unless someone can categorically tell me different?
We will have decent facilities and the potential to develop roots perhaps, with a partner who welcomes our involvement. I applaude the Board for all its hard work in getting us to this point and await with interest further updates on how the project and partnership might develop.
I accept this is my personal opinion and not one shared by (it would seem) the majority of those who have so far chosen to post on the subject. Rather than dismiss it out of hand on day one, I for one am happy to take the pragmatic approach and wait for the dust to settle.

Incidentally, if Vics had been (or were) offered this opportunity, they’d grasp it with both hands, even if it did mean moving out of Northwich. Again just my opinion and one others i’m sure would argue against.
????

After more mulling over, tend to agree with Jack above - there is nothing to prevent a change in the long-term aim of having our own home in Northwich except that (a) there appears to be no suitable land (b) we don't have the money. That long-term aim is an ideal but realistically I have difficulty seeing it come to fruition in the next 10+ years.
My biggest concern remains the access.

Pretty much the worse outcome for 1874
Gates will drop and playing in a oversized stadium for our level, the atmosphere will be very poor
We are a Northwich team, not Vale Royal, and can’t believe some of the crap on here about starting to call ourselves some other name !
Might as well call it a day now for the BIN fund
Can’t see why we can’t play at Barnton for a year or so, then get back to basics and start serious discussions with Lostock FC and agree a long term plan to make this our permanent base
It’s in Northwich, room to develop the ground and create parking down one side and it even has a pub / clubhouse which potentially could be taken on in the future, giving an income 7 days a week

As one who lives in Dorset and travels 250 miles to get to the Barton Stadium, I suppose my views are not worth as much as those who live locally but i'll give my them anyway. I have watched football in Northwich for over 65 years.

I can understand people who wont go to Witton.
I can understand people who say they cant get to Winsford because they cant get a lift.
But I really can't understand why we should not go to this new facility just because it is in Winsford, bearing in mind we have done it for the last 6 years.
When people walked to the ground, and I recall seeing people in droves in the 50s walking down Castle Hill to the Drill Field, it was important that the ground was local.
But we have moved into the 21st century and most people travel by car. Why not use a state of the art facility that is effectively on the doorstep? If it is called the Cheshire Arena it should be open to anyone in mid-Cheshire to benefit from it.

I recall the pride we felt when the grandstand at the Drill field was put up for the APL , followed by the Danebank stand and then the move to the Victoria Stadium. Many were reluctant to leave the Drill Field for understandable reasons, but who can deny how good it looked on the TV for the Charlton game?

Now 1874 have a similar opportunity but with a big difference. The wheels fell off completely at the VS because of financial mismanagement, otherwise we would all be delighted to be playing there. But that can't happen if we are renting from the Cheshire FA -they take all the risk.
And yes I do think that it if the team is playing well it will attract people from mid-Cheshire who would not necessarily be attracted to Barnton. Good luck to Barnton but it seems like a big step backwards.. And I suspect players will also be attracted as has been said before.

Personally I look forward to joining in the new enterprise and wish the club every success in this direction. See you on Saturday !

Back