• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Midlands Watch 23/24

Only 18 clubs in the Midland League compared to 24 in the counties.

Fewer home games so it's saving Vics some rent & reducing Wittons income!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

If there’s any bigger incentive to avoid relegation from our current league, it’s this as presumably it could happen to us.

It'll be interesting to see what happens in 12 months time. I'm sure the FA will want more clubs in the Midland league & fewer in the counties.
The furthest south clubs in the NWC are now the Wythenshawe sides!

It's not funny but Vics have tagged a parody FA account in their statement.

🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Ben
It'll be interesting to see what happens in 12 months time. I'm sure the FA will want more clubs in the Midland league & fewer in the counties.
The furthest south clubs in the NWC are now the Wythenshawe sides!
In the Premier, yes. But in the 1st division south they now have Market Drayton and Uttoxeter.

Different Steps though. Each Step is a pool of clubs and from there the FA allocate what they consider the most suitable league. If Market Drayton or Uttoxeter earned promotion they’d be back off to the Midlands.
The introduction of these two to the North West Counties is a spurious argument some outraged tweeters have used. The fact they are more Midland than Vics makes no difference here.
Petitions, appeals and outrage isn’t going to alter the fact that the FA council will uphold the original decision. It is harsh, but it’s the reality of the situation. Vics and Winsford somehow have to adapt, just as we would have to have tried to do had we found ourselves relegated to Step 5 at the end of this last season.

Reactions: Ben
It's something that was always going to happen at some point.
If Sandbach had been promoted, they'd have gone to the Midlands, but probably with the other 3.

GNE losing the play-off, Skem being demoted & Burscough winning the AGM cup added to the Counties numbers so something had to give.

I think Congleton will be fine as they seem to have been preparing for this & have more of a Potteries-based squad.

Completely agree with you about enraged tweeters Tez. I was merely commenting on Edge's comment about the furthest south club in NWCFL. I was NOT suggesting in the slightest that it was unfair. Although Congleton won their appeal last year the chances this year are almost certainly nil because of the numbers of clubs involved.
I wonder if Vics and Winsford could offer to change places with MDT and Uttoxeter? That would be fun, with them back in NWCFL 1st South and MDT and Uttoxeter unfairly back at NWCFL premier equivalent.;)

Different Steps though. Each Step is a pool of clubs and from there the FA allocate what they consider the most suitable league. If Market Drayton or Uttoxeter earned promotion they’d be back off to the Midlands.
The introduction of these two to the North West Counties is a spurious argument some outraged tweeters have used. The fact they are more Midland than Vics makes no difference here.
Petitions, appeals and outrage isn’t going to alter the fact that the FA council will uphold the original decision. It is harsh, but it’s the reality of the situation. Vics and Winsford somehow have to adapt, just as we would have to have tried to do had we found ourselves relegated to Step 5 at the end of this last season.
Absolutely, Tez.

I do sympathise with both clubs and certainly wouldn’t gloat as we could have been in the situation.

However, it’s the reality and they can’t say this wasn’t coming. The fact is the league would have had 27 teams and the Midlands only 15, so something had to give, and with Vics, Winsford and Congleton the three most ‘southern teams’, it was deemed the best solution. If anything the only surprise is more teams weren’t moved as we still have a league with 24 teams.

Clubs were always going to be disappointed and if Vics and Winsford got reprieved, presumably someone else would have to move. Appeal has no chance in my mind and they just have to adapt and make the most of a difficult situation.

Vics & Winsford have both lodged appeals about their moves.
They've also got online petitions running.

But I just can't see how the FA can change their mind on this.

Not much confidence in loyalty it would appear👀
The comments section is an eye opener ….. to put it politely. Where do you start ….. 🤷‍♂️👀😳

Hilarious to think we should voluntarily relegate ourselves to save 2 teams
1 that couldn’t wait to get rid of us and a second that we voluntarily voted to leave!
Delusion in my eyes
Can’t say I have sympathy as it was on the cards months ago
I think the fact that Congleton heard about it did due diligence and have chosen not to appeal speaks a lot but not as much as winsford having more signatures that vics lol

I am afraid that I have little sympathy for Colin as I remember the way he used to gloat on the website about going on the "Rammy Rattler" to Ramsbottom to watch Vics when the vast majority of the Trust membership had no football to watch for the first year whilst 1874 Northwich was being set up.

I have have no sympathy either

But I will offer a solution to him. If both clubs will be adversely affected by the lateral move then why don’t they merge? He’s so desperate for a merger

More here about the appeal

And this is info that Simmo posted on Twitter re the grounds for appeal and the process.

As you imply Edge, it’s unlikely that Vics or United will provide sufficient evidence to prove the FA have not acted within these criteria.

Attachments

• 7AB22AE9-D379-4745-B55E-32F6F4AC1BF9.jpeg
    7AB22AE9-D379-4745-B55E-32F6F4AC1BF9.jpeg
    326.3 KB · Views: 27
The conundrum is if for example Kendal, Colne, Barlick, Glossop - to name but four, had been chosen to move instead, would that have been deemed less excessive, would any other body concluded this was a more reasonable decision?
Although not a factor under consideration by the appeal board, would any of these four named have to change their player recruitment and squad retention strategies as significantly?
I’ll leave others with their own opinions on the subject 🤔

Back