• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Memory Corner

Jamie here's one to be going on with Harry Pearson.
Jamie do you mean signed on Vics players or players on loan?.

Seem to remember Vics playing a Japanese University under 18's side in the late 90's at the DF, think they (Vics) won 4 or 5 nil?

Meanwhile, I'll pose here the question I put on the Phil Gee thread ...

Why was Phil Gee in the photo of the 1984 FA Trophy winning squad, as reproduced in today's NLP? I had to do a bit of digging myself to find the answer ...
He was the reserve team manager ;)

Toddy
I have filtered through my programmes and I have the following
2 pennants
1x ticket to the danebanker opening against Manchester United 1998
1x v Bangor 1984 fa trophy final (at wembley) programme
1 x v Telford 1983 fa trophy final programme
1 x v Runcorn Cheshire senior semi 1994 programme
1 x macc town fa trophy final ticket
Drink wise final programme v Wycombe programme
1992 vics v slough town conference programme
Gaurdian cut out of witton nil vics 3 on Boxing Day
Guardian cut out of squad picture and article in build up to Bangor final at wembley
Various drill fielder programmes

As soon as I'm up and il send them your way

Continued.
After a hot struggle in the middle of the ground,a Welsh palyer got away with the ball and a vigorous attack upon the visitors stronghold followed,but the Victorias gallantly defended their garrison,and finally beat off their assailants.The venue was now changed and Northwich assumed the offensive,the forwards showing up beautifully,and playing the passing game as they never played it before.Molyneux made a fine run,and a combined effort was made to bring disaster to their adversaries,but unfortunately the ball was forced behind the goal line and storming party withdrew to tackle afresh the leather,which was sent well into the middle of the field from the place kick.It was not there however,more than a moment or two,as Plant was in waiting,and with a magnificent kick sent it flying straight into thegoal keeper's hands.Davies cleverly saved his goal,and thew the ball into play.
To be Continued

Continued.
For a while after this the Northwich stronghold was energetically assailed,the besiegers working together with great pluck and determination.On two occasions they seemed within an ace of scoring but Musgrave who was equal to the occasion cleared .The pressure being much relieved,Earlam made a capital run,but the ball was taken from him and soon afterwards sent into touch.Wrexham had the benefit of the throw in,but it availed them nothing for the ball was quickly carried to their own end,and Northwich gained the advantage of a corner kick.Earlam was entrusted with the ball,and made a good shot,but it fell short and went behind the goal line.In rapid succession the Victorias had three throws-in,and then another corner kick fell to their lot:Russel took the kick and whilst the ball was in dangerous proximity to the Welsh goal a shout of "hands" was raised,and the foul being ,The Wrexhamites were enabled to place it in the centre of the ground.Some very exciting play followed in the Northwich quarters,and so severely pressed was Musgrave on one occasion that to save his charge he threw himself forward and cleverly turned the direction of the fast approaching ball so it passed the post on the outside.
To be Continued.

Continued.
A corner kick was then secured to the home players,but the ball was kicked over the goal line.Soon afterwards a splendid"header"was made by a Wrexham,man and the ball was landed in the mouth of the goal,and the ball but Musgrave again showed some skillful play and kick it well away.The field of battle was once more transferred to Wrexham quarters,and Earlem made a shot at goal,but the ball passed the posts on the wrong side.The pressure on the Welsh was continued and Foster,after neatly "dodging"many of his opponents made a bold bid to secure a point,but was pounced upon by the backs and"no go"was the result.It was now wanted fifteen minutes to half time,and the contest progressed with singular evenness,all attempts of the forwards on either side to invade their opponents territory being multiplied by the backs.
To Be Continued(Controversial Second Half)

Continued.
When ends were changed neither party had scored,and the second half was watched with intesified eagerness and interest.The players went at it with renewed vigour,and not withstanding the fact that both the weather and the state of the ground were decidedly against them they played in a style which elicited remarks of admiration on all sides.Without following from this point the run of the game,we may mention that the play was of a very fast and exciting character,both sides bending their energies to the uttermost to achieve victory.Six minutes before the call of time a severe scrimmage took place close to the Northwich goal,and eventually the ball was kick between the goal posts,wherest the great bulk of the spectators grew exultant:the occurrence was hailed by them as a victory,and they could hardly contain themselves.But a consultation between the umpires and referee told that there was a dispute.And so it proved.The Victorias alleged that there were two fouls on the part of the opposing team,both of which were claimed before the ball went through.Hearing the appeal Musgrave made no attempt to arrest the progress of the ball which passed under the bar simultaneously with the blowing of the umpire's whistle by Mr.C.J.Hughes.After hearing the umpires,the referee gave a decision in favour of the Wrexham team,and the game was resumed under protest.There was now only two minutes left,and during the short time the Victoria forwards rushed off with the ball to the Wrexham end and made a brilliant but unsuccessful attack.The time was called,the umpires being unable to declare the precise result of the game as the dispute with the referee to the goal claimed by Wrexham will have to be settled by the general committee of Welsh Football Association,which we meet at Ruabon next week.
To be Continued.
What Happened Next?

Toddy, as always this brill, and it's great to see you transfer it onto this forum!

Here is a question...

Coventry City and Northwich Victoria are two sides who have traditionally played at very different levels.

However, can you name all the players who have played for both?

Jamie

Jamie, how many are we talking here?..... the obvious one is Dele Adebola... man mountain who dispelled the theory that matter doesn't go through matter!!

Really nice guy also....

Toddy

Bit of a debate going on in our house and you have probably answered this before but do you (or anyone) know why the Vics were 'the Trickies'?

Vicki i'm not sure on this one,but I think it goes back to the days of Len Wootton and Fred Baasnett in the 1940s,they were very good dribbler's and ball players and were very difficult to get the ball off.They could trick the opposition when they had the ball,I think that's where the nick-name came from.

Anyone going to have a try at what happened next in the Wrexham game?

Sorry Tim that's not what happened,any other idea's.

Continued.
A formal protest has since been lodged by the Victoria club.With regard to the general character of the play,it is only necessary to add it was brilliant throughout.
Although it is not in the report,The Welsh Association awarded the game to Wrexham 1-0.

On Saturday 1874 play Nelson,does anyone know when Vics first played them in a league game?
Here one for you Witton fans,do any of you know when Witton played Nelson in two F.A.cup ties,and what were the results,I will give you a clue both games were played at The Central Ground.

Back