• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Memory Corner

Toddy

Too much time on my hands
Aug 3, 2013
I will be starting up Memory Corner again,so if anyone has any questions and I can answer then I will.Also there will be match reports from the distant past.

Here is an article from the Guardian on 5-11 1879,headed The Northwich Victoria Football Club.
Unusual interest was evinced by the inhabitants of Northwich in the performance of the energetic members of the above flourishing club on Saturday last.The club sent out no fewer than 44 players and four umpiers.Four matches were played,two of which were won,and two drawn.The first team went to Wrexham,and for the second time joined issue with the representatives of that town in the tie for the Welsh Association Challenge Cup.The result was unsatisfactory.The Welshmen claim the victory:but the Victorias maintain that it was a drawn game.The dispute will be settled by the General Committee of the Welsh Association.The second team journeyed to Golden Hill,and the match ended in a draw,each side scoring a goal.The team number three visited Hanley,and came off triumphant,having obtained one goal to their opponents nil.The forth team played in the Drill Field,Leftwich,against the Marston Britannia Club,and gained a victory by two goals to none.A discription of each match is given elsewhere.

I have a question out of interest toddy, how many times did the greens play a team from outside the British isles? I remember they played a team from I think Romania not too long ago in a warm up to a Europe league match they had at anfield but wondered if this was a one off

Last edited:
Dont forget the Anglo-Italian tournament TB!

Meanwhile, I'll pose here the question I put on the Phil Gee thread ...

Why was Phil Gee in the photo of the 1984 FA Trophy winning squad, as reproduced in today's NLP? I had to do a bit of digging myself to find the answer ...

I will do my best to answer the Questions give me a bit of time to try and get it right.

Here is the the start of the games Vics played against teams from outside the British Isles.
On 28-4-1948 Vics played F.C.Zeeburgia of Holland on the Drill Field winning 1-0 (Len Wooton scoring the goal)the gate was 4,700.An interesting fact from that game was,four of the Zeeburgia the players had been in concentration camps during the war and four had been in the Duch resistance movement.
There are quite a few more which I will put on here over the next few days.

In 1948 Vics made a tour of Holland playing three games.
14-8-1948.Sparta Leerdam winning 3-1,Gate 4,000.Basnett.Earl and Wootton,scoring.
15-8-1948.E.D.O.Haarlem winning 7-1,Gate 8-000.Davies 3.Sanderson 2.Hurst 2.
17-8-1948.F.C.Zeeburgia winning 2-1,Gate 3,000.Wooton.Davies scoring one goal each.
The names of some of the players who went on that trip are.
L Hobson.V Booth.J Yearsley.A Basnett.J Sanderson.A Bateman.L Wootton.S Earl.W Hurst.G Davies.
I will have more information later.

In 1977 Vics played in The Anglo Italian Non-League Tournament.
27-4-1977.Vics 2 v Parma 3. Collier 2goals.Gate 1,558.

30-4-1977.Vics 3 v Teramo 1.K Jones,Collier 2..Gate 1,091.
22-6-1977.Cremonse 3 v Vics 0.Gate 3,780
25-6-1977.Lecco 8 v Vics 0.Gate 2,950.

In 1979 Vics played a friendly against Valetta(Malta) winning 6-2,the goals were scored by Bailey. Hall.Wilshaw.Bradley.O'Niell.Collier.Banks(pen)yes that was the Gordon Banks.The game was played on 4-10-1979,the gate was 1,056.
On 11-10-1979 Vics played The Zambian National XL,drawing 1-1 the gate was 871,Collier scoring for Vics.
Does anyone know of any other games?.

TB/Toddy - Northwich Vics hosted Universitatea Cluj-Napoca at the VS in a 7.45pm kick off on August 3 2011, in what indeed was a warm up ahead of their trip to Anfield in the UEFA Europa League. I recall being there on the night, I think it finished either 1-1, or 2-1 to the Romanians after Vics had taken the lead.

I happened to be in Valletta in May with my better half. I wore my 1874 collared polo shirt in and around the 4* Radisson Blu Hotel in St Julians, but sadly none of the locals seemed familiar with the name Northwich!

There is a very interesting fact concerning a link between Northwich and Valletta.In the 1960's the last Tug Boat built at Yarwood's ,went to Valletta and was used in the harbour there(and still might be).At the time I was working at M.A.N.W.E.B. as an electrician,Ted Naughton and my-self were hired out to Yarwood's ,to do the wiring on the Tug.There is a plaque to commemorate this event on the wall near the fish shop in Weaver Square.

1-11-1879.
On Saturday afternoon a second attempt was made to settle the tie between these two clubs"warriors famous for fight" for the Welsh Association Challenge Cup.On the 25th Oct they meet at Northwich,but failed to bring the matters to a final conclusion,each side scoring one goal each.On Saturday the Victorias travelled to Wrexham,and as proof of the interest manifested in the event,it my be mentioned that they were accompanied by between forty and fifty of the towns people.The weather was wretchedly wet and piercing cold.The ground a portion of the race course,was consequently in a soft and slippery condition and the players frequently embraced mother earth in a manner which all but themselves enjoyed.Notwithstanding all these drawbacks a goodly number of person turned out to witness the match,and from first to last a very lively interest was evinced in the proceedings.The spectators did not however,constitute a particularly impartial gathering,for they "stuck to their men"throughout like leeches.
To Be Continued.

Continued.
The Victorias won the toss for choice of goals,and elected to play with the wind(which blew in gusts in an oblique direction over the ground),somewhat in their favour.Wrexham kicked off,and then commenced one of the closest and hardest fought games ever witnessed on the ground.The performances of both teams were deserving of the highest commendation,the passing game being finely illustrated.Before the play had progressed many minutes the ball had travelled from end to end of the ground,and it was suddenly stopped in midfield by coming into contact with Edwards hands.A free kick thus accrued to Northwich,and the leather was scarcely in motion again before another cry of"hands"gave the visitors a similar advantage.a piece of good play was now shown by the Victorias forwards,the ball being taken fairly in front of the home fortress,but it was eventually driven behind the goal line,much to the relief of the defenders.It was next worked up into the Northwich territory,where some fine defensive play was exhibited and the anxiety caused by the attack was ultimately removed by a beautiful kick from Hitchen.
To Be Continued.

Toddy I have to say, and I thin k a lot more think it, you are a legend! Love reading the match reports you put up and thanks for answering my European question

:scarf:

Last edited:
Thanks Tim I'm glad you and others are enjoying the reports,I will keep doing it as long as fans want me to.

Iv been unpacking and have found my grand dads programmes and will happily give them to you at my next match which me and Alan think will be September

Toddy, as always this brill, and it's great to see you transfer it onto this forum!

Here is a question...

Coventry City and Northwich Victoria are two sides who have traditionally played at very different levels.

However, can you name all the players who have played for both?

Jamie

Toddy, as always this brill, and it's great to see you transfer it onto this forum!

Here is a question...

Coventry City and Northwich Victoria are two sides who have traditionally played at very different levels.

However, can you name all the players who have played for both?

Jamie

The way things are going wel be playing both of them next

And both vics and city could be away when they are supposed to be at home when we do ;)

Tim thank you for the offer of the programme's i will look forward to it .Toddy.

Back