• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Memory Corner Two

We called a Bottle of Brown Ale into a half pint of Mild Beer a Brown fill up,but you must have had the Bitter instead Mr G.
What was a Sit Up and Beg(I have know idea why it was called that)

What was a Sit Up and Beg(I have know idea why it was called that)

Wasn't this a pushbike.... i think it was called sit-up and beg as the handlebars were high, forcing the rider to 'sit-up' , not sure about the beg bit!

On the drinking, I used to drink a pint of Golden... half a lager and half a bitter.... yum!

I seem to recall that 'sit up and beg' referred to a late 1950's model of car (ie. the Ford Popular). Again not sure, if it was a car, what it was referred to as 'sit up and beg'.

Yes it was a push bike Simon.
Who had a Snake Belt?.Why was it called that?.

If it's what I think it is, it was an elasticated belt, mainly worn by boys, and it fastened together with an 'S' shaped buckle that resembled a snake.

Used to love the smell from a cap gun..... with the roll of red 'caps' that fed into a toy gun.... sure some woke bods would be up in arms with that nowadays!

Used to love the smell from a cap gun..... with the roll of red 'caps' that fed into a toy gun.... sure some woke bods would be up in arms with that nowadays!
TBF kids playing with guns is probably NOT that sensible these days!! The little sods don't need any encouragement :) What were those things that you'd throw at the ground and they'd explode called?

what innocent days they were.carrying cap bombs.sheath knives.bow and arrows or a catapult maybe an air pistol or an air rifle.And that was just the Girls.Health and Safety still to invented

Yes Virgil I drank it when we went to Sale Lacarno in a pub called The Vines on a Saturday night before we went dancing,I think it cost one shilling a pint,a bit dearer than mild or bitter.

any one remember Watneys Red Barrel the drink for The Young Man About Town
Unfortunately yes. I remember being in Italy on holiday in 1975 or thereabouts and finding out they made (not brewed) the stuff under licence there. It tasted just as bad as well! We used to avoid the disgusting stuff even drinking in Watney's pubs. As I remember in 65/66 or thereabouts Watneys pubs charged 1/8 a pint for mild, 1/11 for bitter and 2/3 or even 2/6 for red barrel. Probably the worst beer in London and there was quite a lot of competition for that! At least there was a Young's pub just round the corner.

It's back!

Yuk. But at least it isn't red barrel. That had an initial taste of metal polish and nought else.

Back