• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Memory Corner Two

Wasn’t that the thing that you put in the tub and turned it from side to side to wash the clothes?

Wasn’t that the thing that you put in the tub and turned it from side to side to wash the clothes?
Yes, I would think you are right about the dolly. Is that where the name dolly blue came from? And why does blue make whites whiter?

I think the Dolly had 3 legs a long handle it was used to clean the washing in the tub by twisting it back and too(very hard work)it was called a Dolly Peg I believe.

Correct Richard.
What was a Cheese Wire used for.?

Yes Timberman in the old days cheese came in big round blocks,I well remember my mother putting it on a cheese board and cutting it to the size the customer wanted,it had two toddles one on each end to hold it.
What was a Jerry Can?.

A Jerry Can is a metal container used for storing fuel..... it was named after the Germans left loads behind in Jersey following the war..

Correct Simon.
What is a Billy Can?
If I remember correctly from going to Scout Camp, it was a metal container that you cooked food in over the campfire, and then quite often you ate the cooked food straight out of the billy can, thereby saving on washing up.

I believe a metal drinks container as used by footplate men on the old steam engines. But could be wrong!

It was also used by workers on building sites and the like.

Back