• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Just for fun Atherton colls v formby

Unfortunately the result today was not what we wanted. However, the season has massively exceeded my wildest expectations. Not just how we have finished but the way the club operates, standards, ethics, honesty from the committee and helpers all the way through to the sportsmanship of the players on the field. A season we can be delighted with and a club we can genuinely be proud of. Many thanks and looking forward to next season and building on what can be viewed as a fantastic platform.

Congratulations to Nelson and Formby.

We will return next season, stronger, wiser and ready for the challenge :scarf: #COY1874

Gutted that we won't be going up, but having said that, I think if we'd have been offered to miss out on promotion on goal difference at the start of the season, we'd have all taken that. It has been a great season for all involved with the club and I know I've enjoyed coming down to watch 1874 Northwich when I've been able to.

Congratulations to Formby and Nelson, they'll be worthy additions to the Premier Division next season.

Fair play to Colls they did their best. A draw would have been a fair result, Colls hit the post and drew a good save from the Formby keeper late on but it wasn't to be. The presence of about 20 1874'ers boosted the meagre crowd for such an important game. We'll be back stronger next season!

Well, it's a shame that this afternoons result didn't go our way. However I don't for one second feel any sense of disappointment. I've loved every second of this year and can't wait for next, I said that a solid top-half finish would be fine this season and we have gone over and above those initial hopes and expectations. Everything about this club is brilliant to behold, from the Volunteers to the Social events to the pleasure of watching our team do well.

The NWCFL Div 1 is a superb league to be part of, and it'll be just as much of a privilege to be part of it next year as it would have been the Prem. I'm already looking forward to the next trip to Eccleshall too!!!

I would like to congratulate Formby. It is gutting to say the least to miss out on goal difference. I think us just missing out boils down to the start of the season when we were still finding our feet in the league and didn't have as good a squad as we have now. I for one am confident that if we maintain our current squad and strengthen it further with a few signings in the summer, we'll stand a great chance of promotion next season without the likes of Nelson and Formby to compete with. It's been a great and exciting first season as a fan-owned club!

Gutted not to get promotion but not disheartened, a positively amazing first season by all involved with 1874 Northwich FC on and off the field, which has surpassed all expectation.
Cant wait for the presentation night, followed by the 1874 Beer Festival and for me the start of the 1874 Projects with the Orchard and Canal & River Trust, a busy summer leading up to and beyond pre season.

Furthermore, how ironic it is to have the muppets from JRFC celebrating Formby's result, couldn't make it up....... PMSL
Taking the mick out of a debt free, financially stable and sustainable fan owned football club that in its first ever season has laid the foundations to built strong bridges and relationships and increased its respect in OUR town within the community, local businesses and tbe footballing world........

Congrats to Formby - table doesn't lie. Very fortunate today to get that win. A stinker of a goal, but that save with two minutes to go was the promotion winner.
Still think it is very shortsighted of the league set-up to not include play-offs which would maintain the interest of many more teams at this stage of the season and surely improve the competition.

If we can keep this bunch of lads together over the summer and start next season how we finished this one then we'll run away with it. Ourselves and Hanley Town for promotion next season.

Green Army.

Last edited:
I think there would be a lot of merit in a play-off system as it would give a greater incentive to teams and maintain a higher level of interest amongst fans, management and players. Nelson, Formby, us, Atherton and Hanley would have comfortably held our own in the league above. I have no doubt about that.

Absolutely gutted!! I am a winner 3rd is not good enough.................we will not be promoted.

Having said that....................... Oh how I've enjoyed the season. Best one as a supporter ever!! Again well done to everyone concerned, players, manager, board and most of all supporters/owners.

Was at Formby (Burscough) today as I couldn't stand to find out by text/twitter. Kicked every ball and we were so unlucky as Colls certainly were the better of the two teams but once again Formby wanted to win more and it showed.

We will return next season with a better team than we started this one with, as it is obvious that we lost it early on with our home performances. Therefore I feel we will see us definitely promoted.

A great and first season has come to an end which is sad, can't wait for next season.

Just one little aside - Oh how good it is to be talking football on this forum!!

Oh to respond to the Play-Off point. I am not a supporter of the play-offs as I feel the table doesn't usually lie over the course of a season. Therefore the team that finishes second should be promoted.

Having said that I believe that Formby certainly had an advantage over us by playing there final game two days later. I know it is impossible to ensure that all teams finish on the same day, but given the mid season "break" for the weather there was ample opportunity for the league to ensure that the important games were played simultaneously.

I was also at Burscough today as well and I thought that Atherton were the better side and that Formby were just lucky to get the deflected own goal.

I was also surprised by the attendance for such an important game and which I would put no more than 75, with approx 25 1874 fans along to "encourage" Atherton although I suspect that this is the norm for this league and I have just become used to the masses of the Green Army.

I, for one would prefer to stay in this league with the moral high ground of a Supporters owned club matched by our attendances than be like Formby with minimal support or another club owned by one individual who decides everything and tells the supporters nothing.

Oh to respond to the Play-Off point. I am not a supporter of the play-offs as I feel the table doesn't usually lie over the course of a season. Therefore the team that finishes second should be promoted.

Alan, I think the idea being generally bandied about was a play-off which involved the third placed club against third from bottom in the Prem.

Back