• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

From the Outside Looking In….

All fascinating points, and a total minefield at the same time. The head says yes, the heart gives a resounding no.

I’d say there’s more at stake for Witton, given the club’s identity sits as the outlier of the three - and as the only ones with a home. And then there’s the club colours to consider!

Has there ever been such a deep-seated non-league rivalry in such a small place? Lots of local inter-town rivalries but not sure there’s been anything quite like this! I may be wrong though.
Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t Northwich the only town in the country that has had two teams in the conference /top non league tier at the same time? I’m sure I heard that somewhere…Can’t be many either way.

Last edited:
Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t Northwich the only town in the country that has had two teams in the conference /top non league tier at the same time? I’m sure I heard that somewhere…Can’t be many either way.
You are indeed correct. 1991/92 to 1993/94 inclusive.

And back then most fans of opposing clubs thought that this situation was bonkers. Now nearly 30 years later we’ve got three teams in town! ??

You are indeed correct. 1991/92 to 1993/94 inclusive.

And back then most fans of opposing clubs thought that this situation was bonkers. Now nearly 30 years later we’ve got three teams in town! ??
Crazy stuff. And a great pub quiz question ??

While we’re sorting this out, we best get the ball rolling on amalgamating the town’s cricket clubs. Most places have one, occasionally two - we’ve got six! We’re clearly suckers for a rivalry.

At least the club colours wouldn’t be an issue…

Last edited:
Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t Northwich the only town in the country that has had two teams in the conference /top non league tier at the same time? I’m sure I heard that somewhere…Can’t be many either way.Histon & Cambridge Utd 2008/9-2009/10

Cambridge and Histon not exactly like for like, but I take your point? Strong rumour that Histon’s success was underpinned in no small measure by KPMG purchasing a good number of season tickets?‍♂️ plus being heavily reliant on “Glassworld” sponsorship. In a village as small Histon & Impington there is no way they could have survived at anywhere near that Step otherwise and so it proved.

Crazy stuff. And a great pub quiz question ??
And the 6 meetings between the two clubs ended even. Both won 2, drew 2 and lost 2.

But the first of these on Boxing Day 1991 was the first league ‘derby’ since 1968 and ended in a 3-0 win for Vics with goals from Mally O’C, Colin Blain and a certain Gareth Ainsworth.

I wonder what on earth ever happened to him? ???

And the 6 meetings between the two clubs ended even. Both won 2, drew 2 and lost 2.

But the first of these on Boxing Day 1991 was the first league ‘derby’ since 1968 and ended in a 3-0 win for Vics with goals from Mally O’C, Colin Blain and a certain Gareth Ainsworth.

I wonder what on earth ever happened to him? ???
Forgot to mention it was watched by 2897.

While we’re sorting this out, we best get the ball rolling on amalgamating the town’s cricket clubs. Most places have one, occasionally two - we’ve got six! We’re clearly suckers for a rivalry.

At least the club colours wouldn’t be an issue…
Don't forget the rugby clubs!

Cambridge is a city isnt it??
Oxford has also got City and United and like Cambridge United are the bigger club. Boston did have two clubs but FC went bump sometime ago.

The only other example that I can think of is Ashton - Curzon (or National as they were known in pre-war years) and Town.

I always wondered about Histon as it was such a small place to have a team in a national league.
I remember parking next to a man cleaning his car about 100yards from the ground and he hadn't a clue there was a game on.

Personally I would love to have an amalgamated team in Northwich but it would have to be run by the fans, for the fans.
Can't be doing with dodgy owners or indeed dodgy fans run ( with the transparency of a brick ) models.

Possibly 74 fans/owners would be more likely to make these difficult and emotive decisions given the bravery we showed in forming the club?
Even then we had to be standing on the edge of the precipice before we jumped and maybe Witton fans just aren't at that point yet.

Back