• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

From the Outside Looking In….

Why wait until then when an SGM could be called providing it had the necessary support?
Personally I can't see this ever get a green light - whatever shade thereof - but if the two green teams were to talk about a coming-together (can't see that either) and then considering the historical question of "what would you call an amalgamated team", would the green-uns become "1874 Northwich Victoria" to allow the current 1874 team to stay in the NPL or would you return to being called Northwich Victoria and risk being in the NWCFL again?
GE

Personally I can't see this ever get a green light - whatever shade thereof - but if the two green teams were to talk about a coming-together (can't see that either) and then considering the historical question of "what would you call an amalgamated team", would the green-uns become "1874 Northwich Victoria" to allow the current 1874 team to stay in the NPL or would you return to being called Northwich Victoria and risk being in the NWCFL again?
GE
Unless I’ve misread the NLS guidance & regs the name wouldn’t dictate the league placing. It states that the merged team would play at the same Step as the lower of the two clubs. Do there is yet another potential stumbling block ? Perhaps those in favour believe that returning to Step 5 football is a small price to pay?‍♂️

A merger with Vics is going backwards not forwards.

I'm just a little astonished with James's recent change of heart, although it may not be recent. I can't help but wonder if he's seen the future and can only see red in our town. ?

I'll throw a grenade into the discussion with a suggestion that the only possible way that an amalgamation might be successful is to merge ALL Mid Cheshire clubs. ?
Not a change of heart Tony. Just a recognition that things have moved on in 10 years and the individual that was blocking any sort of fans involvement in NVFC has long gone.

Yes, Vics still need to prove that they are a different beast to that they were under Rushe and as I’ve said in other posts on this thread I still have misgivings about the way they are managed.

But should this prevent us from being brave, bold and far sighted enough to at least have a discussion about the long term future of senior football in the town?

Or maybe you’d rather cling onto the entrenched, myopic and partisan stance that has got football in Northwich where it is today - bumbling along in the lower reaches of non-league football.

Is that the legacy that you really want to leave for the next generation?

With all due respect to 74 and Vics , what would they bring to the table.
It would have to be a substantial capital input to even come close to being on a level playing field with Witton.
Not that I'd even consider following a new club.
But your capital asset is almost intangible as you aren’t going to be in a position to sell it and relocate using the funds from the sale. I can tell you from bitter experience that trying to find a suitable location in and around the town to build a football ground is almost impossible. Most “spare” land is either agricultural/green belt (with all the planning restrictions that brings), is being developed for housing, has already been acquired by housing companies for future development or is unsuitable/too expensive to develop due to ground conditions, contamination etc.

What Vics / 1874 would bring to the table vis a fan base which has and always will be greater than Witton. With this would bring significantly greater levels of income.

Unless I’ve misread the NLS guidance & regs the name wouldn’t dictate the league placing. It states that the merged team would play at the same Step as the lower of the two clubs. Do there is yet another potential stumbling block ? Perhaps those in favour believe that returning to Step 5 football is a small price to pay?‍♂️
I think that if you read the guidance Tez it does provide some “wiggle room” in that it says something like “would normally be placed..”.

We know that the FA are past masters at making the rules fit what they want. When we applied for membership to the NWCFL we had to make a case as to why we should have been placed in Step 6 rather than Step 7 as the presumption was that all new clubs would be placed at Step 7.

Should the occasion ever arise that 74 merge with Vics or even all three clubs amalgamate, can you really see the FA / NPL insisting that the merged club play at Step 5?

But your capital asset is almost intangible as you aren’t going to be in a position to sell it and relocate using the funds from the sale. I can tell you from bitter experience that trying to find a suitable location in and around the town to build a football ground is almost impossible. Most “spare” land is either agricultural/green belt (with all the planning restrictions that brings), is being developed for housing, has already been acquired by housing companies for future development or is unsuitable/too expensive to develop due to ground conditions, contamination etc.

What Vics / 1874 would bring to the table vis a fan base which has and always will be greater than Witton. With this would bring significantly greater levels of income.
Why would we sell it? .The ground is one of the best facilities in in the league with possibly only Macclesfield on par with it, and more importantly we own it.
The assumption of a strong fan base is debatable. This would require both sets of supporters accepting a merger and supporting the new club. Judging by the posts on this thread alone, in my opinion I find that highly unlikely.

Reactions: Tez
The way the supporters on the terraces will vote is with their feet.
That is already the case - and many already have. As we have gone down the leagues, gates have generally reduced.

Don't misunderstand me, I am not saying "so what!", no one wants to alienate or reduce supporters attendance, far from it. We all want the opposite with burgeoning grounds.

The question that we are all grappling with is how to do it. We have all seen the constant decline and degradation of football teams and infrastructure and grounds in Mid Cheshire over the past few years - and its not just the loss of the Victoria stadium and the relegations. We seem to have lost lots of Sunday League teams. Apart from the junior teams, there seems to be a general malaise that needs to be swept away. Hopefully rejuvenating our senior teams will lead the way.

Not a change of heart Tony. Just a recognition that things have moved on in 10 years and the individual that was blocking any sort of fans involvement in NVFC has long gone.

Yes, Vics still need to prove that they are a different beast to that they were under Rushe and as I’ve said in other posts on this thread I still have misgivings about the way they are managed.

But should this prevent us from being brave, bold and far sighted enough to at least have a discussion about the long term future of senior football in the town?

Or maybe you’d rather cling onto the entrenched, myopic and partisan stance that has got football in Northwich where it is today - bumbling along in the lower reaches of non-league football.

Is that the legacy that you really want to leave for the next generation?
As I've said, the only thing that would make any sense regarding a merger would be to amalgamate ALL mid Cheshire clubs under a new name, anything less than that would fail.

Back