• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

DID YOU KNOW

The old Northwich Victoria played it's first matches on "Stumper's " Field,in December 1875 it moved to the Drill Field.
Tomorrow,the northwich Victoria founded in 1890.

Question for Toddy - what colours did Northwich play in prior to 1875?

Paul that's a very good Question and one I don't know the answer to,give me time and I will try to find out.

Was it red and black horizontal stripes? I hate "hoops".

Give me time,but if you know for certain Paul please tell.

I need to check at the library toddy, but my sources tell me all red shirts and navy blue shorts in the 1874-1875 season.

Paul you could be correct but if there is a record of the answer I know a man who will know.

When did the new Nothwich Victoria founded in 1890 play it's first fixture in the Football Combination?.

Last edited:
The Northwich Victoria Founded 1890 played it's first game game in the Football Combination at home to Hyde F.C. in a 2-2 draw,this was the first ever senior match played in the Northwich area,the date of this game was 6-9 1890.The last match the old Northwich Victoria played was on 10-5-1890 losing 0-2 two Chester St Oswalds this match was played in benefit of the Victoria Infirmary.
Just out of interest I wonder if this is the same St Oswalds who played in the Chester League in the 1960s?does anyone know?.
Tomorrow information on the first Witton Albion

My first ever NVFC game was v Hyde as well, though not quite that long ago! 1965, won.

Following the success of this thread I am looking to put facts of other local clubs on.

The first Witton Albion known match report appeared in the Northwich Chronicle on 24-12-1887.Witton Albion v Whalley Road Rangers 2nd team,the game ended three goals each.From October 1887 and December 1888 several match reports featuring a team called Witton Albion.On 26-12 -1888 in the Winsford and Middlewich Guardian a report of a game in the Cheshire Junior Cup between Barnton Rovers and Witton Albion,this was the last time for two years the name Witton Albion was metioned in the Cheshire press.Then on 20-12 1890 a report of a match between Witton Albion Station Alexandra appeared in the Crewe and Nantwich Chronical,this was the Witton formed in 1890.
The research for this information was done by Paul Lavell a dedicated historian of local history,anyone wishing to see the facts for themselves only needs to go to the Northwich Library and research it.

The above is a programme from 1953,I will put more information about I.C.I. later.

A feat a lot of manager's to-day should take note of,(the ones who moan about playing two games a week).
Owing to the success in the F.A. Amateur and Cheshire Amateur Cups,the team played 18 League and Cup games in the last 23 games of the season,winning 14 drawing 2 and losing 2,not forgetting the were working men.That was in the 1955-56 season.

Does anyone notice any well known local names in the programme?.

Back