• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

DID YOU KNOW

toddyb

Too much time on my hands
Dec 23, 2014
What The Hare and Hounds in the name of the old Northwich Hare and Hounds stands for?.

Was it what we would call today a paper chase? Someone runs ahead leaving a trail of torn up paper bits (the hare) and the others follow the trail and chase him (the hounds). Behind them, nowadays, runs a third person from the local constabulary with an on-the-spot fine for littering.

If I'm right where do I pick up the prize from?

If I'm not I damn well should be for a real imaginative answer!

Your spot on Pete,your prize is to donate a bottle of wine for the next raffle.;)

No wonder football took off the way it did. Hare and Hounds sounds rubbish as a spectator sport.

Actually instead of all the debate over when Witton, Vics or other clubs were formed or amalgamated or disappeared ( does it matter?) ,we should be celebrating the fact that Mid -Cheshire was so quick off the mark with what was to become the most popular game, and the excitement that was to be seen in the period 1870 -1895 in Mid Cheshire was to be repeated all over the world in the decades to come.
Now we have 1874 as a fans owned team; we must hope that we can set new standards in that area in the coming years.
Anything but Hare and Hounds.

In Tom Browns School Days they played a form of it if any ones read the book or seen the film.

Be honest how many of you thought the Hare and Hounds was a pub?.:)

I will put a poser on here about each club in turn tomorrow

How many ground's have Witton played their home games on since their foundation,and where were they?.

The Witton founded in 1890,I did say that in the post before the Question.

How many ground's have Witton played their home games on since their foundation,and where were they?.
Central Ground, Drill Field, & Wincham Park are the obvious ones.

I guess there are others?

There were two other known grounds they played at.
The first one was a field behind the old vicarage in Witton Park.
The other one behind Magdela Place off Penny's Lane.

1874 Northwich.
Who was the first player ever to be yellow carded for 1874?.

At which pub did the amalgamation of Northwich Victoria and Hartford and Davenham F.C. take place?

Back