• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Congleton Tonight

Well said Nik_s.

End of the first season in the Premier division, Street said "We've got the meat, now to add the gravy".

All I'm saying is how long does this gravy take to make?

Over our time, especially in this division, I feel our performances have dropped.

No doubt that all of us are 100% behind the team.

The players themselves haven't been criticised, they always put in 100% and are a very strong squad. Only thing being criticised is the style of play they're being asked to play by their boss.

What this thread has done has dispelled the myth that is only 1 or 2 people who think this. It's an important discussion to have, especially when attendances seem to be on an unstoppable decline.

Agreed Andy. Come 3pm on Saturday everyone will be fully behind the team, but there are a number of things that need addressing that have been highlighted on this thread.

It's the best squad that we've had in the 4 years, but I stand by the fact there are certain players in the squad that seem to be untouchable, whilst other, better players are sat on the bench...

Let's hope for an improved performance on Saturday and hopefully we'll be into the next round of the Vase come 5pm!

Apologies for not getting the highlights out for this game (we've had a bereavement in the family and frankly I've just not been in the mood), I will try to post the goals tonight after work but as you will appreciate that will be all there will be - wasn't too much to be cheerful about anyway!
Apologies again folks.

As much as I agree with the players giving 100%, one of our main problems appears to be that these players do not know their limits at times. We have a goalkeeper who somehow believes that he is good with the ball at his feet and other players who are keen to choose the Hollywood option time and time again. It is Street's responsibility at the end of the day to nip this in the bud. Other teams come and play to their strengths and take points from us, whereas we are happy to play long balls to a 5'6" tall striker - it's simple tactical inadequacies that as a paying spectator you would expect to be worked on in training.

Right, have we all finished yet, not that I know anything about football according to comments on here but all this is serving no purpose at all, yes we lost against Congleton but are all these negative comments really called for, if people don't like watching us or for some reason dislike me then make that choice.

On one hand we play tippy tappy football and on the other we play too many long balls, we play players who shouldn't be playing but then be criticised for changing the team, we have almost the best defence in the division and we are one of the top scoring teams but don't create enough chances because unbelievably I tell them not to attack, we have attacking full backs and at times a 3 man forward line but don't have any width.

If having favourites is being confused with trying to play with a settled team / squad then yes I am guilty, although injuries prevent that most of the time and lads have to sometimes play out of position to cover. It's a slow process building a successful team.

Some people prefer 4-4-2 and some prefer 4-3-3 but that changes during games anyway, I can't win on that one, mostly teams set up with a packed midfield to try and get a draw and we get outnumbered in the middle of midfield so we have to be flexible. Keeping possession and being patient is important if we are to break teams down, sometimes they get lucky and go ahead which makes it difficult but we usually manage it eventually.

We have scored a few late goals due to our good fitness and strength and to say we don't deserve to be top is astounding to be honest, if we are fortunate to win the league then we will be the only club ever to not deserve it by the sounds of it.

We all try our best for our club and to read all these comments is soul destroying, if that's what they were designed to do then congratulations it's working. It must be easy to sit back and be an expert, I view it that if I can get maybe 6 or 7 decisions correct out of 10 right then it's not bad, so far we are doing ok although unfortunately that gives 3 or 4 occasions where I can be slaughtered but hey ho I will never please everyone...!

I really wouldn't take it so personally, Ian. There will be far worse on other club's forums. I guess if you are lucky enough to be a football manager, part of the job entails putting up with comments from supporters that you consider unfair and having to keep your nerve. If supporters feel performances are lacking something they will usually say so, it's been like that in football since day one. If you monitor this board you will also know there are many positive comments about you, the players and the club. It's just the nature of football.

I do take it personally, how else could I take it, if I came on here and criticised certain individuals then they'd feel the same, I was always told to defend myself and it has killed me not being able to.

We have had almost 50 comments since Tuesday night, not all negative I know, even some before I'd even got home after the game.

We get about 15 when we win...

I just hope the players haven't been reading it all cos it's certainly been a distraction for me..

I wouldn't take it personally because I doubt there is a football manager in the country who doesn't get a bit of stick now and then on a forum. I'm sure for some it's worse than that. I wouldn't let it distract you, I think on the whole people are pretty decent and supportive on here. You're in a privileged position to be manager of a great club.

Fans forums are here for every fan to express their opinions, whether they are positive or negative, they are open for discussion.

The fans pay to watch the games and therefore are entitled to their opinions on each game, and naturally when there is a particularly bad performance, it is common for more debate to be had- this isn't just true of our fans forum, but every single one in the country.

Nobody is perfect and no club is perfect, and nobody is doubting the effort that yourself or the players put into the club. I imagine as well as the fans you were also disappointed with the result on Tuesday, and this forum is the place for our fans to come and discuss the game and what we have noticed and our own opinions- that's the beauty of discussion boards.

Open meetings with yourself and the players are a great way to pose questions and get a response from yourself, but my personal opinion is that a fans forum online is not the best place to get your opinion on the issues raised.

All the best tomorrow and everyone will be behind you and the players:scarf:

its a fans forum, the nature of the beast is when a team looses there will be negative comments, it happens on every football forum in the country. If you are so sensitive about criticism, however unjust you feel it is, then don't read the thread. just read the ones about when you win. then at the end of the season you maybe able to start your own thread entitled "I told you I was Right"

We have arguably one of the best squads that we have had and for that matter in the league and imo weaker opposition for the title than previous years - no runaway leader. This season that should be us, so unfortunately it gets a little soul destroying for the fans to witness. Most of the comments, as much as they seem negative, appear to be more constructive criticism and I would like to see as Manager of the team that turned into a drive to prove us wrong and prosper more than being demoralised by it?

I mean to cause no offence. I say how I see it. And how A fans forum works. We've seen what yourself and the team are capable of against didsbury and camel laird, that's all we are saying.

We'll all be there tomorrow supporting the team. But what's football without disagreements?

If we come out tomorrow and play like we did earlier in the season, I'll be the first on here with praise.

Well Turncoat we don't ban people on here like the Witton forum,so I suggest you go on the Witton forum with the same view's,because your values don't apply on there.

Ian - I for one fully support what you are doing at the club. Don't get to see as many games as I would like living in Somerset but at all the ones I've been to it's been evident that both the management team and players are passionate about the club and the football you are trying to play and what you are trying to achieve. You've raised our expectations to such an extent that when we lose it seems a catastrophe when in fact it's just a sense of disappointment and for a few that is expressed on the forum; it's their way of letting off a bit of steam. As you say there's an awful lot of contradictions in the various posts. I'm happy to let you get on with it, let's face it you've not done too bad a job so far. Was at the WD&C game last weekend and your comments to their bench as you walked past after being sent off was evidence of your passion (and didn't half make me smile). Keep up the the good work.

Ian,
It must be galling to read some of the "anti"comments on here but these are usually in frustration, the VAST majority of those at games see the problems, you are experiencing so just carry the good work that you and the team do, you have the full support of the majority of 74ers. :scarf::scarf:

I generally stand by the dug-outs and see the passion and commitment of the team and management. I might not always agree with what happens but will now support the team with no more than an expression of annoyance (and reserve the majority of my caustic comments for the referee). I think we are lucky to have the team we have, put together in the main, I assume, by Ian's knowledge of football at this level. I am sure Ian is not upset by GENUINE constructive criticism but a lot is destructive and not in the least helpful. I agree with Frank that some of the comments come from frustration with others coming from the instant stupidity of social media in general! i.e writing what you think without considering the consequences, in this case on the team and management, who need our support.

Back