• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Congleton Tonight

On getting out in the community to promote the club,some time back I offered to get leaflet's printed to inform the public about our club(who we are what our aims are,and the good work we have done in the community etc)I asked for volunteer's to distribute around the area,not one person offered,the offer is still there,so anyone wishing to spare some time to help with this please contact me at any game home or away.

Watched a few games last season. But only missed 3 games this year. I bring 4 children with me most of the time aging between 3 and 10 usally bring a ball as we get there early bbut they were told they were t aloud to play woth it inside the ground anymore they get a little board towards the end of games and pass it about between them they no longer are as eager to come due to this. I dont see the problem with them playing wotha bsll no were near the pitch and not disturbing anyone. As they get older they start enjoyimg the football more and the ball disappears anyway.

On the game in my eyes personally 4-3-3 does not suit 74 play a lot better when its a simple 4-4-2. But seems like that formation acomadates players who seem to be undropable

The only way we will grow as a club is when we eventually able to set down some roots in Northwich. Kids living in Northwich are more likely to go and watch football in Northwich than in Winsford. Yes, we can promote the club as best we can, but that is not easy when the club is playing its football in Winsford.

As for last night's game, the phrase 'fitting square pegs into round holes' springs to mind. I really think Streety is trying to accomodate too many players into a system that is clearly not working in terms of not providing a flowing style of football that we all crave for.

I think that the team is somewhat inbalanced and it is a pity that we have players such as Ryan Jackson and Paul Conners out injured. However, I know that the manager is working hard to find a solution and from what I hear he is trying to sign a player that would be a great addition to the squad in my opinion. The signing that he has in mind might not come off, but at least he is alive to the problem and is trying to find a solution.

Although deflated by the result last night, I am sure that the team will bounce back with a good performance on Saturday in the FA Vase. I will be there supporting the team as always and I would encourage all you to continue with your valued support. We are still near to the top of the league, albeit now on 3rd place, but still only 3 points behind the league leaders, Runcorn Town. The game next week at Bootle, however, is now an absolutely massive fixture for us.

Keep the faith. COYG

Gaz

Last edited:
but they were told they were to aloud to play with it inside the ground anymore

FA/League rules I'm afraid. The club can get fined quite a bit of money if anyone from the league were to see it and report it.

Technically, the Congleton Subs shouldn't have been warming up on the touchline with a ball either last night for the exact same reason.

I'll start off with the game first. I thought attack wise, we weren't too bad, we did create chances and may have got another. The problem was this was in the second half when we were already 2 down. In the first half, we didn't do that for most of it and it's not helped when we were dodgy at the back.

That's pretty fair. We were pretty decent up to the point where they scored their second.

We still can't score early though, and we are so slow building up play that it allowed them to get back and put 6 across the back when we had the ball. We just can't break that down on the deck, and we had no-one who could put a decent cross in until it was too late.

We also had massive issues at the back last night. It was obvious they had been told to play it on the deck from the back, but DT and Mitch got caught on the ball so many times, partly because of very good pressing from Congleton, but also as there was no-one wide looking to take it on.

On the game in my eyes personally 4-3-3 does not suit 74 play a lot better when its a simple 4-4-2. But seems like that formation acomadates players who seem to be undropable

Correct, 4-3-3 is horrendous, has been for years, everyone can see the difference when we play a different formation, but that old habit always seems to slip back in.

Players are shoehorned in, and played out of position just to get them in it seems at time, not a good message to be sending out to new players at all.

Chappie wasn't starting the last 4 games BEFORE his suspension. Seems odd, he'd walk in to the starting 11 of any team in this league.

A lot of this team is the squad that ripped the league apart with Glossop scoring a ridiculous amount of goals. They had a manager known for an aggressive and attacking brand of football

Have said most of the season that we are not playing well as a team. Individual performances and particularly late goals have given us wins at times we haven't deserved and disguised how badly we have played in a lot of games.
I believe when we played physical teams we are not strong enough to compete, and the balance of the team for most of the season has looked wrong and playing people out of position just hasn't worked.
Perhaps we should try systems that suit the people we have and not try to fit people into the system we try to play!
The occasions when we've had a decent crowd we just haven't put on a "show" that would tempt them back.
I must admit I didn't attend last night purely because the football hasn't been good enough to tempt me out in that weather after a busy day at work......as it turns out....i made the better choice!!

For a team sitting at the top of the league most of the season. I think some games the team is picked on the other team eg afc liverpool looked like the team was changed people played out of position to accomadate them. Surely they should be accomadateimg for 74 especially at when 74 are at home

Congleton might be bottom half of the table but they massively raised their game tonight and we don't have a divine right to beat anybody just because of our own position in the table, the only people who would of been put off tonight are childish people who don't know the game and if that's the case then they should find something else to do with their time, the MAJORITY of real fans will continue to get behind the team and will have the last laugh WHEN we win this league

I agree with much of what is said on here, it was not good enough but then we have been at the top of the league for a while so it needs some perspective.
I do, however, take serious exception to the phrase 'real' fans. For a number of years when myself, and a few others dared to suggest that NVFC were not being run correctly and that we could not bring ourselves to support them anymore, this phrase 'real' fans was thrown in my/our faces an awful lot. It was a smoke screen, a way of stopping people questioning things.
Well Josh, I pay my £10 a month, I attend home and away matches and I've probably put over £100 in the BIN. If i want to suggest the team has not performed well on a forum I will and others should be allowed to without being told they are not 'real' fans.

Well said mate
Forgot to say earlier that the pitch looked great last night and is a credit to all the hard work that the Sunday gang have put in

I agree with much of what is said on here, it was not good enough but then we have been at the top of the league for a while so it needs some perspective.
I do, however, take serious exception to the phrase 'real' fans. For a number of years when myself, and a few others dared to suggest that NVFC were not being run correctly and that we could not bring ourselves to support them anymore, this phrase 'real' fans was thrown in my/our faces an awful lot. It was a smoke screen, a way of stopping people questioning things.
Well Josh, I pay my £10 a month, I attend home and away matches and I've probably put over £100 in the BIN. If i want to suggest the team has not performed well on a forum I will and others should be allowed to without being told they are not 'real' fans.
I totally agree, Kit. Of course, everyone has a right to an opinion, but I'd like to think it can be made in a constructive and fair manner. I read one or two comments on the shoutbox last night where the one or two fans suggested Street should go and that we were lucky to be top after 16 games. In my opinion, these aren't constructive or fair comments.

They are constructive comments though. People are unhappy with the performances on the pitch, Van Gahl won the FA Cup with United, but ultimately the fans weren't happy with his style.

But unlike United, we don't have the luxury of guaranteed sellout week in and week out. In non league, when people are unhappy, it hits the clubs pocket.

We're quite lucky being fan owned, people are more determined to turn up regardless as were part of something. I dread to think what attendance figures would look without that...

So, when people suggest a manager that will play attacking football, it is constructive, because ultimately excitement brings fans, and fans bring money.

Wanting to sack the manager after every single loss isn't constructive.

I understand that there are a lot of people who attend home and away games and put a lot of money into the club and yes everybody deserves an opinion but it seems that moaning comes a lot easier than praise at times to some on here, just my opinion.

Welcome to the world of football, Josh. I would say we are relatively laid back bunch. The term 'real' fans is divisive.

Fair enough no offence meant to anybody but that's just the way I see it

Reactions: Ben
They are constructive comments though. People are unhappy with the performances on the pitch, Van Gahl won the FA Cup with United, but ultimately the fans weren't happy with his style.

But unlike United, we don't have the luxury of guaranteed sellout week in and week out. In non league, when people are unhappy, it hits the clubs pocket.

We're quite lucky being fan owned, people are more determined to turn up regardless as were part of something. I dread to think what attendance figures would look without that...

So, when people suggest a manager that will play attacking football, it is constructive, because ultimately excitement brings fans, and fans bring money.
Andy, I'm not saying that all our performances have been great nor has our style of play at times. But if you had the choice between playing attacking football and potentially having less points, or playing less attacking and having more points, which would you choose? I know which I'd choose. Ultimately, football is surely a results-driven game and if you're basing Street's performance on that, he generally ticks all the boxes. I'd also hazard a guess that there would be more fans complaining if we played more attacking and didn't produce the results we mainly have had this season. What would the attendances be like then? To Street and the players, it probably feels as if they can't win either way.

Having read this thread with interest I think that there can't be too much wrong with the team as the table doesn't lie too much as we approach half way through the league season. Yes 4 more games and we are half way through.

We all have our opinions on who should and shouldn't play and generally most people would pick 9 of the 11 anyway. so to criticise selection is a fine line for us all including Streety. We should be flexible to play the way that the manager feels that it is the best way of beating our opponents, whether it is 4-4-2 or 4-3-3. But I do agree with some comments on her in respect of the right players should be picked for these roles and not adjust the players' style to fit.

From Tuesday I felt we needed more width, be quicker to capitalise on attacking situations and we still need to vary our free kicks on the edge of the area. One thing that is continually evident though whether we are winning or losing is the effort from the lads. It is still first class and that is down to the manager.

Look there is still a long way to go and we have been up there from the start. We will have the odd hick up but we need to remain positive, give Streety a few things to think about and also be behind him and the lads 100%!!

Please remember that the team selection is dependent on other factors including work and family commitments as our lads do not get paid and have a living to earn as well.

Every time the lads come under some criticism the same card comes out with the lads have other jobs which I get, but that is much the same for every other club at this level and indeed the next few up from us.
I think this thread is pretty reasoned and has highlighted that although we are still flying high, the performances in the most, haven't been great, we've just simply got by.
The manager said that the performance against Liverpool was cowardly, what has he done since to change that personnel-wise, despite him threatening it? He let fringe players go who weren't featuring.
The management team has said themselves that we haven't really hit top gear yet, we're nearly half way through the season and we haven't got started yet...when will we?

Back