• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Congleton Tonight

josh89

Too much time on my hands
Jul 27, 2013
Before I have to listen to the sack street brigade and the usual players aren't good enough crap let me just say it how it is, tonight we were beaten by a stronger, determined and more organised team who worked ridiculously hard for 90 minutes and deserved their win, there was nothing wrong with the effort of our players tonight and we kept trying to do the right things but the ball just wouldn't fall for us, losing tonight is irritating but doesn't in any way mean that we wont be right up there at the end of the season, it was one game so no need for a massive overreaction (although that's probably going to happen)

Thank you, Josh. A sense of much needed perspective.

Great post Josh were still in a fantastic position have to admit was Gutted we lost tonight but plenty more games to go like you say this will probably turn into a massive crisis in Street we trust

Reactions: Ben
Right lets have it right, They are a bottom half team who should have been beaten, We seemed to have no idea and created hardly any chances.
why is chappie sub can anybody tell me.
sorry but tonight was just not good enough against a team like that.
At least we got more than w****n but 10 away fans for a local derby is pathetic and we will take 5 or 6 times that for a Cheshire cup game.
that performance will have a big effect on Saturdays crowd unfortunately having said that see you saturday.

Completely agree. Look at recent results in the league for some of our rivals, Colls have drawn a fair few lately with the odd defeat, Linnets playing very well lately but we're beaten by Padiham last week, Bootle lost tonight and had a bad result against Maine Road the other week, Didsbury lost the last two games etc etc.. Its football, sometimes you get beat by the better team.

We've probably just been spoiled lately by the fact we've been top for so long and won so many games. We'll be in the mix come the end of the season no doubt except this season I expect there to be 4 or 5 other teams in the mix aswell.

Congleton might be bottom half of the table but they massively raised their game tonight and we don't have a divine right to beat anybody just because of our own position in the table, the only people who would of been put off tonight are childish people who don't know the game and if that's the case then they should find something else to do with their time, the MAJORITY of real fans will continue to get behind the team and will have the last laugh WHEN we win this league

Thank you, Josh. A sense of much needed perspective.

If you want perspective, here are a few home truths:

- Attendances are on the decline despite being top of the pile. God help us on an Icey February night. Lets not kid ourselves as to why. Colne: the longer they were top, the more their attendances grew. Glossop: The longer they were top, the more their attendances grew.

- The league is a much lower standard this year, if Linnets kept their squad from last year they'd be 10 points clear at the top now. With the squad we have, you could argue we could be.

- Tonight was bad, lets not kid ourselves. Tippy tappy pass it back and side ways. The players don't want to play like that, we don't want to watch it. We've seen what this team can do when allowed to play attacking football.

Yeah we're top. Brilliant, no complaints about our league position. But, it's been a bit dull the style we've got there. Before anyone types "We're top of the league, what more do you want" - Just reflect on our home performances this season, reflect on the direction the attendances are going regardless of league position and ask yourself why?

I have no doubt everyone is putting in 100%, no doubt whatsoever. But, it aint clicking this year for some reason.

Let's say it as it was, on tonight's showing we were beaten by a more determined team who wanted the result more than we did,

No excuses needed so roll on Saturday.

Got the feeling Chappie has had a spat with Streety that's why he hasn't been starting might be wrong though

The league seems to be much more open this year with all of the top 4 having already lost 3 or 4 games. Anyone seems to be capable of beating anyone else on any given game. All the top teams have had some surprise results.

Attendances across the leagues seem to be lower this year and look at Colne and Glossop they are both struggling to get 200 for home games at the moment.

No reason we can't be in the mix come April, keep the faith :scarf::scarf:

Think last night is just best forgotten to be honest. Improvement needed.

Yes glossops are down, does that make it Ok for ours to be, too?

Bootles are on the up, WD&Cs are on the up, Linnets are doing well again, same with Colls.

Some midweek games in the first season attracted 360. That's 160 who just don't bother anymore. That's alarming if you ask me, and not "the select few" as they were labelled on the shoutbox.

On gates although our gate last night was disappointing,which the weather had a lot to do with.If you look at last nights in the other leagues above us,in the evo stik Premier there were 4 lower than us,in the evo north 9 were lower,evo stik south 7 lower,and remember they all include season ticket holder's,and Witton who are having the best start for some time could not get over 200.So although 207 was a disappointing gate I think the weather had a lot to do with it.

Rest assured we are aware of our attendances so far this season and whilst many clubs (at our level and indeed above) would be extremely happy with an average of 240 from our eleven home games so far we are a little disappointed (and our treasurer makes sure that we are aware of this and that we look at how it can be addressed)

That said we have had SEVEN midweek games and obviously these do tend to not be as well attended as a Saturday game. My quick calculations have the average for midweek games at 203 and the average for our FOUR Saturday home games is 280

It would be good to see a larger crowd on Saturday for our FA Vase game and whilst we wouldn't expect too many Billingham Synthonia fans to make the journey we might all be able to try and encourage some of the "stayaways" and possible "newbies" to experience the 1874 journey?

Where is the effort to publicise the club in the local community? Where is the effort to go into local schools and give them offers for the games?

It's our 4th season now and our fan base is an aging. We need to bring through younger fans and as far as I can see, there is minimal effort to do this.

Look at WD, they had younger fans, look at Colne last season. Look at Glossop.

It's all well and good getting the current fans to bring an extra person with them, but if they already support a team, realistically will they be bothered to come back?

I was going to go and watch Wrexham with my Dad years ago as my first football match, the game was called off, we went to watch Vics and the rest is history. If younger fans come to the game, are made to feel welcome and we win, they will want to come back. That is then a paying adult through the gate with them, and a fan for life.

That is how you build attendances... We have prices for students and free for under 16s, but I doubt the majority of people in this category no nothing about our club.

As for the game last night, sums up how we've played this season but the wins have masked the truth. Some deadwood that has to go if we want to win the league and it's clear that Street has his favourites. Also thought it was poor that a manager who was sent off at the weekend can stand quiet and not encourage his team, and only open his mouth to scream at the referee. Last night was not the refs fault that we lost, it was the shambolic tactics that didn't look to exploit a defence who have conceded over 50 goals this season already and who I watched get dismantled by Runcorn Town last week.

I will normally come on here and defend the team, the manager and the club, but there are clear problems that need addressing, and fast.

I'll start off with the game first. I thought attack wise, we weren't too bad, we did create chances and may have got another. The problem was this was in the second half when we were already 2 down. In the first half, we didn't do that for most of it and it's not helped when we were dodgy at the back. Personally I think we've looked shaky at the back for a quite bit this season and think we've been lucky that more teams have not exploited that. When they have, they've ended up getting 3 goals against us and win the game, not by just the 1 where they nick and sit back for the rest of the game. In that first half also, we went backwards so many times Stalin would be turning in his grave. It's good keeping the ball and try to control play, but when you end up playing it amongst the defence, it invites the opposition to push up and pressure you 30 yards from your own goal. If I'm right, that's how the first goal came about where we ended up giving it away from trying to play it from the back.

The attendance last night wasn't great. Yes the weather was poor for the whole day and will have put people off from going, but this is England, we know that there's days where the weather will be poor and it'll get worse still this season, so if we're getting 207 now, then chances are we'll be getting sub 200 crowds on a few occasions this season. It is something we do need to address. Touching on what Callum has said, I think there's more that could be done to publicise the club and our games in town. I understand that it's time consuming and we'd need people to put the effort in etc, but we need to try ways to boost our crowds if we can. For the record, I think we do a great job at promoting the games on social media and think we've upped it there this season.

Back