• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Congleton Tonight

There has been no "stupidity of social media" comments from myself, or anyone who has made a criticism. That's a fact - a different opinion is just that, an opinion.

People have raised genuine concerns in this thread, you can't dismiss them as not "genuine" fans.

Andy, I do not recall making any comments about genuine fans. Social media gets people to write without thinking of the consequences to others, which was my point. Yelling something in the heat of the moment is one thing and is generally soon forgotten but what is written stays written (until someone deletes it). I was not having a go at you or anyone else but merely supporting Ian and hoping people might think before writing.
As for constructive comments (and this is not aimed at you or anyone else in particular) perhaps they could be more constructively given by talking to Ian or his management team after a match or by private message rather than to the great and good. It must be soul destroying for the players and staff to read all the negative thoughts - and Ian is not the only one to have commented on here about much less comment when we win (and often well) than when we lose.
SORRY, missed your point about genuine concerns. What I was getting at was when people say they are constructively criticising but most of them are not - it is like saying "No offence" when they are about to offend them.

Last edited:
Think we need to stop and realise how far Streety has taken us his record speaks for itself and we have no given right to win any game in the league these disappoints are very rare with this club because of the fantastic job Ian and the lads are doing yet again bouncing back today as usual behind you all the way Streety

Completely agree, football is all about opinions and debating them. It's part of the game.

All I'm saying is how long does this gravy take to make?
Maybe ask Runcorn Linnets fans how long it takes? Their side are still trying to get out of this league eight years later. Also you say our performances have dropped, yet we're certainly quite a few points better off than we were this time last season when we never challenged for the title at all. So to be up there challenging this time round, I would call that progress.

Last edited:
A few things Ian, the position you hold you will come under some scrutiny and criticism from the terrace. I respect that you have once again come onto the forum in response as you have the right to do so as much as anyone else and I understand that where comments are aimed at you, you will quite rightly want to respond.

I'm not sure what you're getting at with the comment on people not liking watching our team or not liking you, having to make a choice, There is no real choice to be made as I do feel things could be 'better' on the pitch at the moment performance-wise, i'll not be going anywhere else to get my football fill as this is my club that I have bought into and supported/signed Tony's motion. You've suggested in the past that those who want to go and see entertaining/better quality football should perhaps go and watch it somewhere else (some time last season if I recall on this Forum) which is nonsense.

I completely agree with you on the level of fitness of the lads which is either something that gets worked on heavily in training, or high workrate is one of the key things you look for in a player before approaching them. You'll find that, as fans, we rate the players with high workrate and the quickly become favourites - Paul Connors epitomises this (there are more but for me he stands out).

As suggested previously on this thread, use the comments to your advantage if necessary as I am sure you've noticed, the majority of constructive (negative depending on how you view them) comments come out on the back of a defeat where we haven't played particularly well or as fans games we believe we should be winning (based on form, knowledge of the teams etc as many will state that it is not our right to turn up and expect to win). I'd respectfully disagree that the comments on here are soul destroying to a team of grown men, they must know themselves that rarely this season have they hit top speed, but saying that, more often than not they have ground out a result and deserve credit for that (the management team are included in that).

I understand that you will feel you have a duty to defend the players and the performance but we win far more than we lose and I haven't seen you come on here and comment on those threads when the team have played well/won (you'll see many of those over the course of the season with positive comments on).

Believe it or not, I think I can say the vast majority would support the view that everyone at the club does try their best.

We are in a good position currently and I would expect we are one of the favourites to mount a title challenge and anything less, in my humble opinion would be a disappointment in the league.

Well done in the Vase on Saturday.

Back