• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Community and Charity

Tony1874

Too much time on my hands
Aug 1, 2013
During the next few months fans of 1874 Northwich FC will be planning a sponsored walk with a difference. 26 miles 385 yards blindfolded from Winsford to the Guide Dog Training School at Atherton, Manchester to raise National awareness and funds for blind charities.

http://m.guidedogs.org.uk/
http://www.blindveterans.org.uk/

The event will take place during National Guide Dog Week

http://m.guidedogs.org.uk/news/national-events/guide-dogs-week-2013/#.UfQyL33TVcs

Not only will this sponsored event be physically demanding with an estimated 10 hours walking time but also mentally and emotionally draining with 10 hours of blindness. Plenty of time to think about the precious gift of sight which so many take for granted. We would therefore appreciate your support by making a donation once the 'Just Giving' website is set up, every penny raised will be donated to this amazing charity.

We have also recently arranged a visit to Atherton Guide Dog Training School to have a look around and discuss the charity blindfolded marathon walk. I have one spare place if anyone is interested.

Planing event around the October 5th, 6th, 12th or 13th, not quite sure yet, got a lot to do from now til then. Event applications for ALL relevant councils, route planning, safety and logistical vehicles, risk assessments, public and personal liability insurance, guide training, sponsorships, media advertising and publicity etc etc....... Basically it's very similar to what Colin would have done for his 17 mile bluff to Flixton.

Last edited:
Hi Tony I don't want to jump in if others want to go, but if you do have a spare place to go to the training school, then I would like to (once I know the date and can get off work!!).

I went there 30 years ago and was amazed and the charity has stuck with me ever since. This is FANtastic!!

Hi Tony I don't want to jump in if others want to go, but if you do have a spare place to go to the training school, then I would like to (once I know the date and can get off work!!).

I went there 30 years ago and was amazed and the charity has stuck with me ever since. This is FANtastic!!
I should have gone on Monday but had to cancel, it would be a pleasure to have you come along, I know how much this charity means to you. I'll call them tomorrow and let you know the date.:)

The idea is to walk the 27 mile challenge blindfolded, from Barton Stadium to Atherton Guide Dog Training School. If the challenge becomes too difficult for individual teams, we'll revert to relay.

Volunteers so far consist of
Tony Rogers
Tim Baker
Paul Ashley?
Maggie Nixon
Jamie Kelly
Phil Burgess?
Vicki England?
Adam Rogers
Lauren Gregory

Please message me with confirmation and application

Posters, advertising and publicity is being planned
Business sponsorship ideas are being considered

With your help it all starts and finishes here
www.virginmoneygiving.com/team/1874northwichfcprojects

Last edited:
The idea is to walk the 27 mile challenge blindfolded, from Barton Stadium to Atherton Guide Dog Training School. If the challenge becomes too difficult for individual teams, we'll revert to relay.

Volunteers so far consist of
Tony Rogers
Tim Baker
Phil Burgess?
Vicki England?
Adam Rogers
Lauren Gregory

Please message me with confirmation and application

Posters, advertising and publicity is being planned
Business sponsorship ideas are being considered

With your help it all starts and finishes here
www.virginmoneygiving.com/team/1874northwichfcprojects

Believe I should be on that list too Tony!

27 MILE SPONSORED BLINDFOLDED WALK - UPDATE

Completed the proposed walking route recce today from Winsford to Atherton and came to the conclusion that its far too dangerous to walk it, let alone walk blindfolded. I will therefore look at an area closer to home, maybe a Cheshire only route, start and finish at Barton Stadium. The event will also be run as a relay with participants/teams continuiously changing over as and when fatigued.

Tony.
Good decision, Safety first.
How about utilizing the Whitegate way route to and from Winsford?
Tony F

Reactions: Ben
27 MILE SPONSORED BLINDFOLDED WALK - UPDATE

Completed the proposed walking route recce today from Winsford to Atherton and came to the conclusion that its far too dangerous to walk it, let alone walk blindfolded. I will therefore look at an area closer to home, maybe a Cheshire only route, start and finish at Barton Stadium. The event will also be run as a relay with participants/teams continuiously changing over as and when fatigued.

Sensible thinking, Tony.

Tour de Cheshire
Nantwich, Tarvin, Northwich
Spot on 27 miles

The four Wich's
Nantwich, Middlewich, Leftwich, Northwich
Struggling for mileage on safe pavement route.

Still looking at incorporating the Whitegate way, any ideas would be gratefully appreciated.

You could start at the site of the Battle of Nantwich which was a site of the English Civil War where the ordinary people took up arms against their oppressors (Resonances today, perhaps?).

Last edited:
Due to numerous failed risk assessment attempts to find a suitable stretch of road to walk the 27 miles, we have now secured an agreement with Marbury Park (CWCC) for them to host the event on their grounds on the 19th October.

Is there a minimum donation Tony or can people donate say as little as a quid if that's all their budget will stretch to?

Perhaps anyone who uses Facebook could "share" and "like" the link you put on the "Community Projects" page and spread the word that way too?

Is there a minimum donation Tony or can people donate say as little as a quid if that's all their budget will stretch to?

Perhaps anyone who uses Facebook could "share" and "like" the link you put on the "Community Projects" page and spread the word that way too?

Good point mate and to test your question I've just managed to donate £1 via PayPal, not tried my bank card but would assume it would be accepted.

Facebook and Twitter are great way to get messages out into the public domain, so yes, if anyone can do that it would be a great help. Edge as also supplied a direct link to the Virgin Money Giving site on the bottom front page of the forum.

There are tweet & facebook buttons just below the bottom post on this page that can be used as well & it helps promote the forum.

The aim of the challenge is to get as many individual teams to walk the 27 mile course completely blindfolded throughout. Therefore blindfolded participants will remain blindfolded from the start of the event until the end, this includes all breaks, toilet, food and drink. The only time the blindfold can be removed is in the event of an emergency or incident in line with the Event Risk Assessment or as listed below.

Teams consist of two walkers, one guide and one blindfolded walker. Each team will be designated a team number, teams will start at 5 minute intervals, each time the team pass through the Event Control Check Point, their own individual lap counter flip board will be turned and the number of laps completed called out.

Once the walk becomes too physically, mentally and/or emotionally demanding teams have the opinion to step down from the individual team effort and attempt to finish the challenge by either team relay or group relay.

18 laps of 1.5 mile course

Walking route.jpg

Reactions: Tez
Back