• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Bow and Goody step down

I had every faith in Paul and Wayne to turn things around given the financial conditions that they had to work with, however, their main strength was their buying into the ethos of the club in the longer term and their support and nurturing of the younger players coming through the system which was the greatest strength of our club, all of which has been thrown away by people demanding that they should go but only time will tell if they are right.

They have conducted themselves with dignity and class at all times - never once complaining, throwing players under a bus or blaming anyone when things haven’t gone right. For me, a sign of what decent blokes they are is the fact that so many players came back.
It’s a near on impossible job for a club our size, constantly having players poached by clubs paying more - the managers never once moaned. Sadly I’ve not been able to come for a while so not commenting on the football but it was great to see the club put out a statement like that - again, class.

Id like to start off by offering a big thank you to Wayne and Paul for being so good with me personally when I’ve been doing anything for the club. Be it interviews, new player signings or just a general chat about football, they always had time for you with open and transparent conversation.

Lifelong memories have been made in their 6 years in charge, FA Vase & Cup run, the Macron cup back to back winners (First club EVER to do so!) and a promotion to the NPL. Incredible achievements, beyond what we would have expected. The 2019/20 side was probably the best we’ll ever have.

We will be fine, as always, the club will continue to go on, lets move forward now as fans together, united behind Wool and Jonah who will take charge for a while until our new manager(s) are appointed.

See you all at Townfield on Saturday, up the 74 🟢⚫

Firstly, I’d like to commend the board for their classy statement which I think sums everything up perfectly. Over the years, Paul and Wayne have done an incredible job and given us some fantastic memories. I’m sure we’ll all be forever grateful and thankful for what they have achieved and they are welcome back anytime and both will always be club legends. So whichever side of the argument you’re on, this is a sad day for the club and the end of an era.

However with that comes opportunity. I do believe that the time is right for them to step down and that over the last year, things had become stale and results, performances and style of play had been poor. I also know that some fans were staying away as a consequence which couldn’t be good for finances and I do believe that a majority of supporters are of the view that it’s time to move on.

So I welcome this new chapter and a chance for change and some fresh eyes and ideas to shake things up and move us into a different direction. Something to give fans some hope and optimism again and a reason for the stay aways to come to games, as there hasn’t been much to shout about recently and the atmosphere around the club hasn’t been good.

Of course there’s a risk to this and that it won’t work out for a new manager/s, but then I’d argue that the greater risk was sticking it out and things not getting better or even worse. I believe that you don’t get anywhere in life without taking risks sometimes. So I do hope fans can get behind this decision now and we all move forward as one, showing our support to Woolley and Jonah and the lads on Saturday and getting behind whoever the new management is!

None of us know the future so of course it’s not the same as 2016 but all things come to an end. It’s right the the two guys have stepped down as they have taken us as far as they could. But now there’s an opportunity to improve and to stop struggling. Whether we can is not clear but let’s hope so.

It tells me that we are very unlikely to get anyone with the quality, dedication, integrity, professionalism and understanding of our club and its ethos - never mind their superb coaching and man management abilities - to replace Bow and Goody.

I certainly hope the board approach finding a new manager with a more positive outlook than this.

I certainly hope the board approach finding a new manager with a more positive outlook than this.
What an asinine comment!

Of course they will seek to appoint a successor to Bow and Goody who has all the attributes and abilities that these guys did.

My point was that we’ll do well to find such candidates, particularly when they find out what restrictions they’ll be working under re budget.

It’s not an Asinine comment, though.

Yes - it’s sad that two good men have stepped down, and the comments from everyone in this thread is testament to the level of respect they have.

But, this is the start of an exciting new chapter for the club. A chance to take the next step forward. A new manager and new style of play- maybe one that will attract bigger crowds, and a bigger budget.

It’s an exciting time, not the end of the world.

Can I appeal through the forum to all fans who have supported this wonderful club over the years to turn out in numbers on Saturday and get behind the players and new management team you can rest assured it's been a very busy week but we are looking forward to the challenge ahead of us.Its imperative for the future of the club that everyone is on board together on this journey .We wish Matt ,Jonah every success and who knows what we can achieve going forward together. Finally can I pay tribute to Bo and Goody not only colleagues of mine for many years but good decent people who I was proud to call friends. Thanks for reading this and let's turn up the volume Saturday. Phil.

Don’t comment on here much, more watch from nearby lol.

A big thank you to both the guys in stewarding the club for an extended period.

I only hope that regardless of who the board appoints it’s someone who fist and foremost gets our club and what we’re about. They have to buy into the ethos of what we’re about otherwise it’s doomed to failure.

First job for them has to be to ensure we stay in the league under the same constraints GoBo had.

What an asinine comment!

Of course they will seek to appoint a successor to Bow and Goody who has all the attributes and abilities that these guys did.

My point was that we’ll do well to find such candidates, particularly when they find out what restrictions they’ll be working under re budget.
Do you not trust the club to make the right appointment?

Are you advocating that somehow, you know better than the majority of the fan base, the board and even the old managers themselves?

Wayne and Paul I want to give you my heartfelt thanks for the wonderful work you have done for our club over the last few years. You have given us memories that will live with us for years to come. I wish you both well in where ever life takes you and hope that I will get a chance to thank you personally at a future 1874 match.

Do you not trust the club to make the right appointment?

Are you advocating that somehow, you know better than the majority of the fan base, the board and even the old managers themselves?
Did I say that? Nope. That’s your interpretation.

For the avoidance of doubt what I said is that we’ll be extremely fortunate to get a successor (or successors) to Bow and Goody who were as good as they were! That is a position that I suspect the vast majority of the fan base would concur with!

Did I say that? Nope. That’s your interpretation.

For the avoidance of doubt what I said is that we’ll be extremely fortunate to get a successor (or successors) to Bow and Goody who were as good as they were! That is a position that I suspect the vast majority of the fan base would concur with!
Sometimes change is good - would you not agree?

If I remember rightly, I think you said similar about Ian Street - would you not say we make a step forwards?

Sometimes new ideas can inspire the players and the fan base, for me it’s about looking forward with optimism and excitement.

Bow and goody will be hugely missed and they have given us a good ride. I hope to see them at 74 games in the future to enjoy the next chapter for 74.

Sometimes change is good - would you not agree?

If I remember rightly, I think you said similar about Ian Street - would you not say we make a step forwards?

Sometimes new ideas can inspire the players and the fan base, for me it’s about looking forward with optimism and excitement.

Bow and goody will be hugely missed and they have given us a good ride. I hope to see them at 74 games in the future to enjoy the next chapter for 74.
Change is the constant state in life, however it may occur and whether you want it or not. It will always happen.

It’s about adapting to it and making the best of the opportunities it may bring.

Change is the constant state in life, however it may occur and whether you want it or not. It will always happen.

It’s about adapting to it and making the best of the opportunities it may bring.
Exactly, I’m glad we agree.

Now stop moaning and worrying and get behind the club!

Back