• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Bootle (H)

Andy

Too much time on my hands
Politics 5
Jul 28, 2013
I don’t really know what to say about that.

First half we were fantastic. The best we’ve played all year, deserved to go in at halftime ahead, unlucky not to. By far the better team.

Then the second half…. it was embarrassing.

Yep, can't argue with the above.
Shaded the first half & repeatedly shot ourselves in the foot in the second.

Yep, first half we showed some more confidence as of late, second half we didn’t really come out. Something has to get better or we will be playing against Vics again next season. On paper this was a winnable match , on pitch it wasn’t.

Reactions: Ben
Here's Wayne - can't argue with anything he says.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Football is a funny game. We played so well in that second half last week against Workington and did okay in the first half today, but then in the second half we just didn’t turn up.

On paper, it was a winnable game, the kind we need to be winning if we want to stay in this league and we didn’t do that. We’ve got to dust ourselves down now and go again and improve fast and add a few more new faces hopefully or it’s going to be a long season.

The first half was promising. Replicate that on a regular basis, and we’ll be ok.

First half fairly even I thought though we didn’t really test Bootles keeper too much.
Second Half was awful. Too slow going forward and caught in midfield too many times. On the other hand Bootle broke with pace and found huge gaps in our defence.
Not sure why Kennerley and Irlam were played out of position. Don’t think that helped.
Think this is the fourth time we have been beaten and outplayed at home this season. Very worrying pattern emerging. If we are not careful we will soon be languishing in the bottom 2 or 3 or worse.

What a bizarre game.

At half time we were on top, in control and I thought it was a matter of time until we scored and took the lead.

However, the second half, especially after the 2nd goal went in, we looked totally despondent.

It really doesn’t feel like we have lost 5-0, it’s a weird feeling, more of just disappointment, it was a game in my opinion we should have got something out of.

A free hit against the best side in the league next Saturday in the FA Trophy.

All to Townfield.??⚫

Isn't football frustrating sometimes!

After last week's great fight back it seemed that we carried that on in the first half. First 20 mins we were outstanding in my opinion. However as the half went on the tempo died a bit. I still thought that at half time we were the better team.

Then the second half started with a soft headed goal for Bootle. My only comment on that is that Big T should be aware of the free man in front of him and scream at Jonah and Markell.

The penalty was unfortunate but after that our complete shape went to pot. I appreciate we had to chase the game but holes appeared everywhere.

Sorry Wayne, I didn't agree with the starting lineup and the substitutions were mystyfing. Couldn't understand why we still had 2 holding midfielders when we were 2 down. As last week I thought Jack did a great job up front and should have stayed on with Paul T.

We certainly need to regroup, forget that second half and look forward.

I still believe that we will be fine but performances need to be consistent not high for one half and low the next.

Will be missing next week playing in the Europa Cupa with the 1874 Walking Football Team. We managed to avoid Malaga and Benfica in the draw but Athletico Bilbao are in our group. We were announced in the draw as 1874 Norwich and one of England's oldest clubs!

See everyone in 2 weeks!

Excellent first half and definitely the better team. We were out a good 3 minutes before Bootle before the 2nd half began and ready to press them like we did in the first half. Maybe that was a tactic from Bootle and 5 mins later poor defending gifted them the opener. A needles penalty conceded a few minutes later and we were then chasing the game and leaving gaps at the back.

To our credit we did try and get back in the game and had a few half chances but again we conceded on the counter. It summed it up at the end when our best effort from Lee knights header was somehow saved and Bootle stormed up the other end to bag another. Really strange game….Tony didn’t have much else to do other than pick the ball out of the net five times! It was never a 5-0 game but credit to Bootle who deserved the three points.

On to Bootle….I was really impressed in their attitude and commitment today, they fought like tigers and harried us for 90 minutes never allowing us to settle on the ball. They were also very vocal and constantly shouting instructions to each other every time we had the ball.
A real win win mentality which will see them comfortably mid table where they currently are. Credit to them, they appear to have adjusted to the higher league quicker than us…we should take note.

That said we have now played 7 of our 10 games against top 11 sides….our upcoming matches against bottom 8 clubs are crucial and will go a long way to deciding where we finish. We need to regroup, forget those last 45 minutes today and make sure we bounce back with confidence.
We are good enough to survive in this league….we will if we give the lads our full backing and believe in ourselves. COYG

Excellent first half and definitely the better team. We were out a good 3 minutes before Bootle before the 2nd half began and ready to press them like we did in the first half. Maybe that was a tactic from Bootle and 5 mins later poor defending gifted them the opener. A needles penalty conceded a few minutes later and we were then chasing the game and leaving gaps at the back.

To our credit we did try and get back in the game and had a few half chances but again we conceded on the counter. It summed it up at the end when our best effort from Lee knights header was somehow saved and Bootle stormed up the other end to bag another. Really strange game….Tony didn’t have much else to do other than pick the ball out of the net five times! It was never a 5-0 game but credit to Bootle who deserved the three points.

On to Bootle….I was really impressed in their attitude and commitment today, they fought like tigers and harried us for 90 minutes never allowing us to settle on the ball. They were also very vocal and constantly shouting instructions to each other every time we had the ball.
A real win win mentality which will see them comfortably mid table where they currently are. Credit to them, they appear to have adjusted to the higher league quicker than us…we should take note.

That said we have now played 7 of our 10 games against top 11 sides….our upcoming matches against bottom 8 clubs are crucial and will go a long way to deciding where we finish. We need to regroup, forget those last 45 minutes today and make sure we bounce back with confidence.
We are good enough to survive in this league….we will if we give the lads our full backing and believe in ourselves. COYG
Spot on?

One of our problems is that we have been spoilt by our success. Since we began we have always won a lot more than we have lost, now with us used to winning it comes as a shock when we start losing more. Our honeymoon is over and having been married 5 times I know what it’s like .

One of our problems is that we have been spoilt by our success. Since we began we have always won a lot more than we have lost, now with us used to winning it comes as a shock when we start losing more. Our honeymoon is over and having been married 5 times I know what it’s like .
It shows in our attendances too, our fans don’t like losing!

I don’t really know what to say about that.

First half we were fantastic. The best we’ve played all year, deserved to go in at halftime ahead, unlucky not to. By far the better team.

Then the second half…. it was embarrassing.
Where do I start? Well, largely (and unusually) by agreeing with you Andy. Nip and tuck first 45 but as for the second??

Firstly why on earth was Taylor playing left back when we had Russy available? Two if not three goals came from that flank.

Secondly, we sign a lad whom has been scoring for fun this season but we start with a holding midfielder up top!

And the usual problem is that neither wide players or midfielders either bomb on or get round the back of the opposition.

And we play some awfully pretty and attractive football in front of opposing sides - but as I’ve said several times before (and have been criticised by others for saying so) we almost always take the easy option and cut back inside which gives the opposing defence time to reset.

What did the late, great Bill Shankley say??

“If you want open a tin can then you need to get round the outside”??

Where do I start? Well, largely (and unusually) by agreeing with you Andy. Nip and tuck first 45 but as for the second??

Firstly why on earth was Taylor playing left back when we had Russy available? Two if not three goals came from that flank.

Secondly, we sign a lad whom has been scoring for fun this season but we start with a holding midfielder up top!

And the usual problem is that neither wide players or midfielders either bomb on or get round the back of the opposition.

And we play some awfully pretty and attractive football in front of opposing sides - but as I’ve said several times before (and have been criticised by others for saying so) we almost always take the easy option and cut back inside which gives the opposing defence time to reset.

What did the late, great Bill Shankley say??

“If you want open a tin can then you need to get round the outside”??
As anyone who knows me, I’m a pretty simple, straightforward guy. Im a big advocate of the KISS principle. But I wonder if there is a little bit of muddled or overthinking going on at the moment re team selection??

I have to agree with some of James's comments in respect of Paul Turner. A goalscorer who has played more games than our team so is fit to go. As good as I thought Jack did up front you have to play Paul. Also when you are chasing the game surely change one of your holding midfielders for a forward.

Jake and Aaron tore into Workington when they came on last week and then Jake, a goalscorer, is on the bench this week?

Just doesn't make sense to me.

Football is all about opinions which is why it is a great game. This is mine! (Disclaimer)

Reactions: Ben
Morning after, and I’m still baffled as to how we’ve come away to a 5-0 defeat in a game that at half time it looked like we’d come away with a good result

Morning after, and I’m still baffled as to how we’ve come away to a 5-0 defeat in a game that at half time it looked like we’d come away with a good result
Football is crazy sometimes, just hope our attendances don’t start dropping even more, it will get better just stick by us?

Andy, I suppose how CR supporters must have felt a couple of years ago except Bootle made no changes at half time and we brought on Harry for the 2nd half! Also I have vague memories of a game I did not see where Vics were 1-0 up at half time at Hednesford and lost 7-1, it being said that everything Hednesford tried in the second half came off. To be fair, Bootle's no 11, Ben Hodkinson was class and ran the defence ragged.
A couple of thoughts on other points above. Their no 9, Tom Peterson won almost everything in the air even though he was considerably shorter than our defenders, and from where I was his headed goal looked to have a lot of power behind it and went though Tony's hands which are pretty strong. And playing Taylor at full back will lead to problems - he is petulant and kicks out at people and is likely to get sent off. I was not at Workington but looking at the film I thought he was very lucky not to have got booked for a foul in each half and he did get booked yesterday, just before their 4th goal.

Back