• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Another poor result....

We lack consistancy in the team and the passion we once had ( although could be argued only a few weeks left of the season and other than the cup; if we can get past Barnton; not much to play for). I dont like negativity always try to find a positive to spur team on however things need to on be changed for next season. Yes it is a hard league to get out of as Linnets (and others) have proved and on our day we are good enough to achieve this. A shake up is needed! Players need to prove they want to play for us and its not just a jolly and a few £ in their back pocket! We seem to sign players, play a couple of times and aren't seen again ( Ashley Stott for example on his day he is supposed to be a cracking player and can score goals. Didnt shine on his couple of appearances for me but in reality is that enough to base him not playing on?) We do need the likes of White to strengthen the team ( yes not a nice chap at times but this can and was said about Hall when he was signed: For me jury still out on him needs to prove his worth not all performance based; Barnoldswick running from his goal mouth into their half to get involved in an incident that he really didnt need to followed by goading their handful of fans, followed by the same incident at Ashton! Can leopards change their spots? Lets hope so.) Streety not being there ( for me) is having an impact ( completely understand why and best wishes to him and his family) he for one certainly did not look pleased with that performance yesterday! Finish on a positive - We need to continue to support our team and get through this season, put a line underneath it and move on in true 1874 style!

The main problem we have is our first 2 seasons we did better than anyone would of hoped for , now when we have a average season we feel it's not good enough, Yes we can improve our performances but when it comes down to it we expect to be the standard of our first historic two seasons and that can't always happen, If we started off bad our first 2 seasons this season everyone would be glad of. We put ourselves on a pedestal and its so easy to fall from there. Also we have to consider the amount of games we have lost to the weather, it effects us all but not more so than for the players, if they play every week together as a whole than that would of helped us tenfold and maybe get the consistency we so far as a club have been spoilt with. Last consideration Ian Street is a great manager but recently hasn't been around ( for no fault of his own) which must effect the morale of the whole team and we need him back as quick as possible and with his guidance we can turn our play to what we have been used to.
We are 74

Sometimes management is about being a bit ruthless, if players haven't given enough it might be time to move on. With the best will in the world we shouldn't be losing matches like yesterday. We have lacked the cutting edge.

Sometimes management is about being a bit ruthless, if players haven't given enough it might be time to move on. With the best will in the world we shouldn't be losing matches like yesterday. We have lacked the cutting edge.
And a style of play...too much long ball

Our centre half Mike White regularly gets a mention on here when you guys lose a game. Comments like "we need a Mike a White, but not Mike White".

Why is it that you despise him so much but admire his ability? You would love him if he played for you, like we do, and the similarities to Greg Hall made above is pretty accurate.

@stebiggy - it dates back to when he refereed our home game against Formby in our first season.

Definitely gone backwards. Times like this when sound bites about adding gravy to the meat comes back to haunt you. New players get brought in, but not many of then are given a real chance, maybe because they didn't play for Winsford?

The squad is good, the style of play they're being asked to play by the management however, is poor. Very negative. 4-3-3 doesn't work, we can all see it, so why does it keep on being played? There also doesn't seem to be much of a team spirit at the moment, either.

Streets done a good job, but all managers have a shelf life at a club, look at Jose at Chelsea for example. So maybe it's time to look for alternatives.

Went to see u21 today - need to give some of them a look into first team - not saying they are ready but four or five of them look really good especially captain who scored four and missed a pen!

@stebiggy - it dates back to when he refereed our home game against Formby in our first season.

Without looking into it, I am guessing Formby won that match?

Whiteys a vastly experienced non-league player who captained Skelmersdale to two league titles. Over the years he has sussed out how to get under people's skin and I can see why you don't like playing against him. But his style works because he winds opposition up and you all talk about him for years afterwards.

The point I'm making is that you need people in your team like that to get out of this league. It might not be what you want to hear but you won't ever win this league with a team of angels, you need so big characters and edgy types. Only one or two but they play a crucial part in getting the job done. Every single Glossop player would hit the deck when breathed on and then the whole team surround the referee about it. Awful to watch, but look where it got them. Norton were exactly the same.

The main problem we have is our first 2 seasons we did better than anyone would of hoped for , now when we have a average season we feel it's not good enough, Yes we can improve our performances but when it comes down to it we expect to be the standard of our first historic two seasons and that can't always happen, If we started off bad our first 2 seasons this season everyone would be glad of. We put ourselves on a pedestal and its so easy to fall from there. Also we have to consider the amount of games we have lost to the weather, it effects us all but not more so than for the players, if they play every week together as a whole than that would of helped us tenfold and maybe get the consistency we so far as a club have been spoilt with. Last consideration Ian Street is a great manager but recently hasn't been around ( for no fault of his own) which must effect the morale of the whole team and we need him back as quick as possible and with his guidance we can turn our play to what we have been used to.
We are 74

Trev - you have got it spot on. Can't say much more that would add to the post so I won't say much apart from saying that Ian has got my 100% backing. This is the first indifferent (not bad!!) patch we've had in our existence and whilst we are all disappointed with recent performances (as are Ian, Paul and Stu), to take the 'nuclear' option now would be plain daft. Let's give the guys the chance to assess things now and plan for next season.

Talking of the under 21's why don't we have 1 of them on the bench when we only have 4 subs for some games.
Something seems wrong with the system we play at the moment but can't put my finger on it, Season is over now in real terms lets start looking at players etc for next season.

Was a poor game to watch, we can and must do better as far as playing the game as it should be played, to many long balls and poor passing in this match. But I am sure this will be put right for tonights game, hopefully !.

Without looking into it, I am guessing Formby won that match?

Whiteys a vastly experienced non-league player who captained Skelmersdale to two league titles. Over the years he has sussed out how to get under people's skin and I can see why you don't like playing against him. But his style works because he winds opposition up and you all talk about him for years afterwards.

The point I'm making is that you need people in your team like that to get out of this league. It might not be what you want to hear but you won't ever win this league with a team of angels, you need so big characters and edgy types. Only one or two but they play a crucial part in getting the job done. Every single Glossop player would hit the deck when breathed on and then the whole team surround the referee about it. Awful to watch, but look where it got them. Norton were exactly the same.

We don't want White because he's a cheat! See Linnets away at Nelson last season for exactly what we have seen every time we've faced him.

Got Wright sent off (nothing in it), won a penalty (from nothing), then got himself sent off.

So every time you have played against him he has had someone sent off and been sent off himself? I don't remember any of those things happening in our games against 1874.

How is he a cheat? Only referees can send players off, not other player. And the penalty he won he didn't appeal for, I was stood right next to it and everyone was surprised that we were awarded it.

He is a winner. You go on about him on here because you wish he played for you, a lot of you admitted it after we beat you earlier in the season. Some of you on here are blindly loyal and that will be a downfall of yours. Look at the response when you signed Greg Hall. League keeper of the year two years running and a league winners medal but he was blasted on here because he is controversial and replaced a very average but popular keeper in Conkie, despite the fact he is twice as talented.

Back