• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Another poor result....

Blackie

Too much time on my hands
Aug 5, 2013
Debate time people....
After another defeat (and a poor one at that!), that's now 6 losses in 12 games! :oops:
Have we reached the stage of the season where the players have just given up, or is it poor managerial choices and Streety failing to motivate the players.

The Barnton game is now probably the biggest left this season as its a chance for a cup final and a trophy in the cabinet (do we have a cabinet?) :jawdrop.

The manager has done a fantastic job so far, but does he have what it takes to take us to the next level? :rolleyes:.
(not picking, he's done an amazing job from scratch so far, but everyone has a limit otherwise they'd all be in the premier league!).

Opinions........

In Streety we trust ;):D

No harm in debating stuff though, so long as it's a in a healthy way. Haven't seen anything of the team this season so not in a position to comment, but as far as the league is concerned it's always been a question of high up the league we can finish. Making the final of the Mid-Cheshire Senior Cup is also an important milestone for the club as it will be our first final if we beat Barnton.

We are just WELL short of where we were last season and everybody needs to take the blame for that, it has felt for a while like players and management have just had enough of this season and can't wait for it to be over.

I think that our squad is definitely good enough but I don't get the feeling that the players really 100% believe in themselves/each other for whatever reason and we just need to go into next season with more confidence and a better attitude.

Have to agree to some extent, too many average performances this season.

We always knew this would be a very tough league to get out of, and there are others around us who have been trying much longer than us. Possibly, as much as we may be short on the levels of performance/achivement of last season, other contenders have improved that bit more than us? (rather than us giving ourselves all of the 'blame')

Ian did a small interview with Simmo for the Guardian the other week, saying players need to prove they deserve to play for us, can't say its worked with some.

George Riley is impressing me after getting a chance.

Ian did a small interview with Simmo for the Guardian the other week, saying players need to prove they deserve to play for us, can't say its worked with some.

George Riley is impressing me after getting a chance.

Not sure that was the right thing to do tbh and the management need to take as much if not more blame than the players, the tactics aren't helping certain players to do what they do best on the pitch

Wasn't at the game today, but I will post my observations from the season as a whole so far.

1) Wardy has been missing this season

As everyone knows, the Barton Stadium is no carpet to play football on, so the tactic that has been played as been 'long ball'. Whilst doing this, the ball bypasses the midfield and Ward has therefore been ineffective for the majority of the season. Whilst I agree that long ball is probably the way we will have to go whilst playing home games at Winsford, it doesn't suit Ward, neither does it Beadle. The way to get the best out of Ward would be to play Brandon upfront and Ward playing off him, who could interchange with Jackson. On his day Ward is our best player, but he hasn't been used to our strengths this season.

2) Never a settled back 3/4

This might be due to work commitments/injuries and I understand this, however, imo the leaking defence is down to the lack of consistency in players. Streets at the meet the manager evening seemed to lack confidence in DT, is this the case with others? A settled defence (3-5-2 formation suits us best) will seems perform better next season.

3) Foy/Jones have never been replaced

Foy didn't play long due to injury, and Jones was headless in the Vase last year, but a different midfield option who will dictate matches is currently missing in our squad. Chappel and Woolley are both similar players (Woolley has played best as CB this season) and therefore playing both I don't think works. Also, Brandon in midfield is a complete waste. We need a midfield who will keep the game ticking over, alongside the Chappie's and Woolleys who will battle and win the ball for us in the middle.

4) Brandon in midfield

A complete waste. We seem to be trying to pack the 11 players with our best players, rather than the players that best suit the position. Brandon and Beadle are both different options, and therefore work well in different situations. Brandon is best when we need to battle against strong and mean defences, and can bring others into play, whilst Beadle is clinical against weaker defences and will score against these teams. We don't need them both on the pitch all the time if it doesn't fit the system.

5) Passion and Commitment

I went to watch Linnets vs Nelson around a month ago, and one thing that stood out for me more than anything was team spirit and a 'never say die' attitude. When things go against us, I feel that the players tend to argue amongst themselves, rather than grouping together and grinding out a result. It's no coincidence that Linnets score so many last minute goals, their players know how to win and never ever give up.

I know the post has been negative and I won't often come onto the forum to be critical of the management or players, and I appreciate the fact we have started from scratch and are only 3 years old. We have come a long way and I'm proud of everything the club has achieved. After the season we are having though, these are the problems we have imo and if we do want to move forward as a club and win trophies, this is what I believe we'd have to change.

Just one thing I've noticed that we like to argument with ourselves a lot on the pitch maybe we need a stronger leader on the pitch

Wasn't at the game today, but I will post my observations from the season as a whole so far.

1) Wardy has been missing this season

As everyone knows, the Barton Stadium is no carpet to play football on, so the tactic that has been played as been 'long ball'. Whilst doing this, the ball bypasses the midfield and Ward has therefore been ineffective for the majority of the season. Whilst I agree that long ball is probably the way we will have to go whilst playing home games at Winsford, it doesn't suit Ward, neither does it Beadle. The way to get the best out of Ward would be to play Brandon upfront and Ward playing off him, who could interchange with Jackson. On his day Ward is our best player, but he hasn't been used to our strengths this season.

2) Never a settled back 3/4

This might be due to work commitments/injuries and I understand this, however, imo the leaking defence is down to the lack of consistency in players. Streets at the meet the manager evening seemed to lack confidence in DT, is this the case with others? A settled defence (3-5-2 formation suits us best) will seems perform better next season.

3) Foy/Jones have never been replaced

Foy didn't play long due to injury, and Jones was headless in the Vase last year, but a different midfield option who will dictate matches is currently missing in our squad. Chappel and Woolley are both similar players (Woolley has played best as CB this season) and therefore playing both I don't think works. Also, Brandon in midfield is a complete waste. We need a midfield who will keep the game ticking over, alongside the Chappie's and Woolleys who will battle and win the ball for us in the middle.

4) Brandon in midfield

A complete waste. We seem to be trying to pack the 11 players with our best players, rather than the players that best suit the position. Brandon and Beadle are both different options, and therefore work well in different situations. Brandon is best when we need to battle against strong and mean defences, and can bring others into play, whilst Beadle is clinical against weaker defences and will score against these teams. We don't need them both on the pitch all the time if it doesn't fit the system.

5) Passion and Commitment

I went to watch Linnets vs Nelson around a month ago, and one thing that stood out for me more than anything was team spirit and a 'never say die' attitude. When things go against us, I feel that the players tend to argue amongst themselves, rather than grouping together and grinding out a result. It's no coincidence that Linnets score so many last minute goals, their players know how to win and never ever give up.

I know the post has been negative and I won't often come onto the forum to be critical of the management or players, and I appreciate the fact we have started from scratch and are only 3 years old. We have come a long way and I'm proud of everything the club has achieved. After the season we are having though, these are the problems we have imo and if we do want to move forward as a club and win trophies, this is what I believe we'd have to change.

Callum, that is not negative, that is constructive. I wish some of our regular posters could be so eloquent ( me included).
One thing I would add is that the subject of Beadle and Brandon was talked about over a few pints tonight and our feeling is, swap em around with Mike playing off Matt. Matt's instant control and skill on the ball would release Mike to do his first, best skill and put it in the net.

Just an opinion.

Callum, that is not negative, that is constructive. I wish some of our regular posters could be so eloquent ( me included).
One thing I would add is that the subject of Beadle and Brandon was talked about over a few pints tonight and our feeling is, swap em around with Mike playing off Matt. Matt's instant control and skill on the ball would release Mike to do his first, best skill and put it in the net.

Just an opinion.

Mike isn't quick enough for that, he is a perfect target man to help a pacy striker to make runs behind a defense

maybe time to replace management for next season, fresh ideas, new players , sometimes loyalty doesn't bring rewards , .................... before I get slagged off, no iam not a 1874 fan, that's just my opinion from a non league football supporter , just an idea to provoke debate

Replacing the manager is a bit far, we just need to go back to basics and the lads need to remember how good they actually are

Who ever wants Street to go must be crazy the job he has done for us would give him at least another season or to to try and get us out of this division but it's not easy just ask Linnetts

Thought we did quite well in the first half today and were unlucky not to go in at the break ahead. We were right behind Brandon's shot in the first half and what a save by their keeper. Riley was again impressive in the midfield however again I thought he faded like in his last game. Jack Wooley showed enough to be given more game time.
After half time I'm not sure what happened. We did score a decent goal but after that we seemed to loose our way. Squires Gate came more into it and looked threatening each time they came forward.
I think they certainly deserved the win and the stupid Wooley incident at the end just about summed up the second half.
A mention for Paul Connors. Works his socks off and was left exposed too often but definitely our best player today.
What would I change?
A few players for sure but not wholesale. We need more leadership and togetherness. The earlier post that mentioned Linnetts fighting spirit is very true and you could see Atherton Colls togetherness at our ground when they beat us. I have seen lots of other teams in this league over the season and on our day we are as good as all of them but "our day" is getting fewer at the moment.

Is this where I mention a moose?
Thought the shape & balance of the side was better, but ran out of ideas as the game went on.

Compare the stats to last season and our problem is the number of goals conceded. Not sure this is solely down to the defence or just generally throughout the team.
I for one am disappointed Kirk has gone, he seemed to be our best midfielder and slowed play down to pick a pass out rather just aimlessly hoofing it forward.
I agree with the part about the players arguing with each other which doesn't look good and was really evident at Maine Road.
As much as I can't stand him, maybe we need a Mikey White type character to lead us on the pitch?

Back