• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

1874 v Albion

Well we were well and truly beaten today. Did our players really believe that we would win today? If they did they certainly didn't show it. Everything seemed wrong from the start, formation, line up and ambition. Surely we knew that it would be a scrap in midfield and Jack Irlam would have given us a good presence. After the last few games surely Ollie should have started ahead of Ben and Jeanny start ahead of Kenzie?

In respect of ambition, to only have one shot on target throughout the game and that was the penalty says everything. Do our players really know where they are supposed to be playing? Fenton Green never really got past our half way line. Kenzie was never in the game and Josh is dropping far too deep. A lone centre forward should surely stay up there and get immediate support when required. One other point is 3 goals down and we only use subs like for like and do not use them all!

I do think that it was significant that the local lads Joe and Matt were our best players today in a really poor overall team performance.

I believe we need to change the way we play. Every team knows how we play because we are always predictable. When did we last play 3 or 5 at the back? Or even 2 up front? For me different opposition require different tactics you can't always play the same game.

Big disclaimer here! Thoughts are my own! I'm not usually so detailed but the disappointment of today has led me to explain my feelings more.

We go to promotion chasing Leek next week to play on a flat surface. Let's hope our performance isn't flat. These young lads of ours need confidence and help. Let's try to support them as best we can with numbers traveling. See everyone there.

We lost that today for a number of reasons, mainly a lack of fight, ambition and belief.

The balance and overall shape looked better once Ollie and Jack came on but by then it was obviously much too late.

Same old story of Josh being isolated too - it’s getting boring.

Great attendance but how many will return to watch such a stodgy performance with no cohesion?

If we don’t make one or two signings or change things up we are going to end up sliding down the table rapidly.

Very disappointing and some introspection needed.

On a positive note, I’m not sure there’s too much for Witton to be giddy about considering the gap between the teams when we were formed to now.

Here’s hoping for an upturn of fortunes in the new year!

650 greens you have to be joking, a proper green would have been at Wincham Park,
fighting to restore the pride of NVFC instead of walking away and hide behind a club with no history.
So why are you a “former Wittoner” if you think that you should show blind loyalty to your team? Maybe your user name should be “hypocritical former Wittoner”?

Reactions: Ben
And the only constant throughout this is Witton Albion Football Club. Tonight Mid Cheshire is very much Red irrespective if your 1874 or Vics.
Dream on. The problem with Albion is, has been and always will be that they don’t have Northwich in your name. And a very well known Wittoner has admitted this to me on many occasions.

But you throughly deserved your win today.

Yes in a ground we own.
You do indeed own WP. But how well have you done to exploit the position that you were in in 2012 when Vics were homeless, ‘74 hadn’t been formed and you were the only club in town.

Ten years on and despite having all these advantages you’ve gone backwards.

Aye and it’s taken witton 135 years to get to this level as oppose to 10 years for 1874….enjoy your success!
Make no mistake, Witton have largely under achieved for the best part of 30 years (and we know it!), but I’m not sure a couple of admin promotions is much to get excited about!

Dream on. The problem with Albion is, has been and always will be that they don’t have Northwich in your name. And a very well known Wittoner has admitted this to me on many occasions.

But you throughly deserved your win today.
Totally agree James, the club did surrender much of its association with the town when it vacated the Central Ground. Locals moving to the area now don’t see Witton Albion staring them in the face when they head into town, and the place name of ‘Witton’ doesn’t mean anything anymore, so it’s much harder for us create those links. And although we enjoyed a few great years following the move to WP, we ultimately paid the price for shortsightedness.

That said, although we’re currently underachieving by residing at step four (the league above is the minimum we should demand, historically at least) we do own a top-class facility that yourselves and NVFC can only dream of. Simply put, you’ll never own your own home, which must be a sobering thought - compounded by having to watch your football at Barnton every fortnight.

As a side note, I think it’s a shame that the town doesn’t mark the history of the two town centre grounds in any way. Unless you researched it, you’d have absolutely no idea they were there really.

You do indeed own WP. But how well have you done to exploit the position that you were in in 2012 when Vics were homeless, ‘74 hadn’t been formed and you were the only club in town.

Ten years on and despite having all these advantages you’ve gone backwards.
I don't think we are a million miles apart on this one James, as discussed on another thread earlier in the year. I think all three clubs are staring at the hard economic facts of trying to keep a decent non league team in town and wondering how the hell you do it. WAFC have spent £millions over the past 30 odd years and managed to go down about 4 levels in the process. The current board look like they are giving it a real good go, but I still think they will need some help.

As for todays game, I just think it was minor payback for many a Christmas ruined at the Drill Field and actually quite a decent turn out by both sets of fans. Witton (I think about 300 WAFC supporters) fans will enjoy the moment, but the bigger prize is outwith the control of all the teams in town

You have to laugh at these Swampies, you never hear from them for months, then one win and they think they are going to get promotion
even with our current squad issues, I am very happy that I am a green !

I don't think we are a million miles apart on this one James, as discussed on another thread earlier in the year. I think all three clubs are staring at the hard economic facts of trying to keep a decent non league team in town and wondering how the hell you do it. WAFC have spent £millions over the past 30 odd years and managed to go down about 4 levels in the process. The current board look like they are giving it a real good go, but I still think they will need some help.

As for todays game, I just think it was minor payback for many a Christmas ruined at the Drill Field and actually quite a decent turn out by both sets of fans. Witton (I think about 300 WAFC supporters) fans will enjoy the moment, but the bigger prize is outwith the control of all the teams in town
800 odd for a mid table game, the potential is there…. Well done Witton ,Miles the better team, it wasn’t even a contest sadly

The 74 crowd was beaten from the first whistle. Didn’t hear a sound from them. Must be hard work watching games at barnton every other week. Floodlights poor also.

Back