• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

1874 News 1874 Northwich FC Open Meeting

LOL ye leftwich bad memories ,to be fair there is not many colours to go for to avoid clash's lots of teams in red and blue and the lighter colours of yellow,orange are very much same for cleaning as white.

Fair's fair - I'm more than happy for you to have any casting vote!

Give me common sense over sentiment and nostalgia any day!!

Excellent meeting tonight with around 90 present. Considering that less than 12 months ago we hadn't kicked a ball this last season has been nothing short of amazing, a credit to the board and everyone connected with 1874. As was mentioned this evening, we have to be patient and build steadily, our promotion will undoubtedly increase attendances and revenue next season but the ground situation will take some time to become reality as it has with most other fan owned clubs. Right now 1874 fans are more than happy with the arrangement we have at Winsford, the gates reflect that and it is comforting to know that the two clubs are helping each other in this difficult financial climate. Rome was not built in a day but 1874 are already established as a well run community club full of passion and desire with a great spirit. Roll on next season!!!!

I am with Nicki here, That is not a nice kit but as said above whatever.
Couldn't make the meeting last night due to working in Peterborough all week.
Hope it went well

Excellent meeting tonight with around 90 present. Considering that less than 12 months ago we hadn't kicked a ball this last season has been nothing short of amazing, a credit to the board and everyone connected with 1874. As was mentioned this evening, we have to be patient and build steadily, our promotion will undoubtedly increase attendances and revenue next season but the ground situation will take some time to become reality as it has with most other fan owned clubs. Right now 1874 fans are more than happy with the arrangement we have at Winsford, the gates reflect that and it is comforting to know that the two clubs are helping each other in this difficult financial climate. Rome was not built in a day but 1874 are already established as a well run community club full of passion and desire with a great spirit. Roll on next season!!!!

I think you're right but an update on any ground plans would still be appreciated.

I really like the Claret and Blue kit. Way better than the White kit, never really liked that one.

I can appreciate the practicalities of moving away from white and indeed if claret and blue was the second choice when fans voted, then that's democracy I guess. That said, I'm not a fan of the new colours and much as I can take on board all the reasons why it was chosen, rightly or wrongly, it still feels like we're hanging on to past memories to some extent (only my opinion of course).

I got the impression that the first team shirt will be due to change 2015/16 season, can anyone confirm if that is correct?

Please bear with us folks, notes from the meeting will be posted as soon as we can and it was filmed by Chris, so he will work his magic in due course.

New home shirt will possibly be changed end of the current season Tez,saying that we have changed home socks away from the white.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    964.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
it still feels like we're hanging on to past memories to some extent?
We are a new club and we need to go forward as 1874 not Vics. However, it is also worth remembering that it is the history of the old club that brought us together and still provides the main bond. If everything from 'the past' is ditched then where is the reason for watching 1874 rather than Witton, Winsford, synchronised swimming or stamp collecting instead? If the past is totally ditched then what is the point of 1874 for me - I don't live in the town, I've no particular attachment to the Barton Stadium and I have always had a second team to watch.
I need some acknowledgement to our history as it is inextricably linked to many members of my family who are no longer around (literally back to 1874 when it was formed) so to completely ditch the history is also to partially ditch them. Equally, the past should not be a burden that inhibits the new club and fortunately, as said many times by others on here in various forms, we can discuss it sensibly and there is a great deal of tolerance and understanding of different views.
I think it is about balance.

I am sure that a proper report about last nights very successful meeting will be published shortly, however just to deal with the memberships questions that came up last night.

The question regarding incentives for owners to change their membership from Bronze to Silver came up and various suggestions made and the first was the possibility of a discount on merchandising which was rejected as the markup on 1874 "stuff" is minimal anyway.
The possibility of discounted travel and free 50/50 tickets I would like to raise at the next Board meeting as it is a trade-off between one "profit center"and the other.

The difference between Bronze and Silver is an historic one when we were able to offer incentives to Silver Members as a thank you for their contributions which, unfortunately is not possible at the present time and perhaps Tez suggestion of just having one category has merit and speaking personally if the Silver/Bronze category were dispensed with I would still continue with my monthly contributions for the "Feel Good" factor and I suspect I am not alone.

There is the possibility of changing the membership year as well to the start of the season as it will be easier to recruit owners at the start of the season than in December and it makes it easier for John and Guy to compile their accounts if all membership subscriptions can be counted in one financial year.

These issues were discussed last night and I suspect that owners may wish to discuss it amongst themselves or choose alternatives before directing the Board as to their wishes.

Tony Fallows
Membership Secretary.

As the guy responsible for washing the club kits, I can assure members that moving away from the white kit will be a good long term descision. We dont play on a green carpet and the treatment required to keep whites white takes a heavy toll on the material. The new away kit will wash better and last longer.
Hope this partly explains the reason for change.

Back in the day i used to play for northwich town, and we had an away shirt just like that one, happy memories for me, the only downside being that people have mentioned "l*ftwich" (shudders) the rudheath lad inside me simply cannot allow such talk on this forum lol

Last edited:
As the guy responsible for washing the club kits, I can assure members that moving away from the white kit will be a good long term descision. We dont play on a green carpet and the treatment required to keep whites white takes a heavy toll on the material. The new away kit will wash better and last longer.
Hope this partly explains the reason for change.

To be fair, I don't think anybody is questioning why the change from white. Makes good sense!

Just the choice of claret and blue. The 1874 fan base contains people wanting to give various degrees of nods to the old days. For me, claret and blue has negative connotations, for others, it is nostalgic - but in truth, it's not really all that important. I'm sure plenty will shift off the shelves!! THAT is important.

As for keeping the link with the past...I'd say the green and white home shirt and the club badge do that pretty effectively! ;)

1874 and proud!

I agree with Nicki, the green and White was nostalgic enough.
All the merchandise I have bought so far has had no claret or blue in it and I don't associate the colours with the club in any way.
If we need a fourth colour to give us something different for the away kit let's chose something original for our wonderful new club.
Purple would go with green (works for Wimbledon), or an orange going with the black. At least these would give us the option to put some off the clubs associated colours in the kit!
For me claret (maroon), is an disgusting colour in footballing terms.
I hope I'm wrong but I can't see it being a big seller...i certainly won't be buying one!,

If the past is totally ditched then what is the point of 1874 for me
I think the point is also to get away from the past. We want a well-run, democratic, transparent and sustainable fan-run team that lives within our means, unlike Northwich Victoria. That for me is the main point.

Last edited:
Thats what i love about us and this club, its ok to disagree, and we all get to have an open debate where everyones voice is heard :) long may it continue

Back