• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

1874 0-4 Bootle

I said this in defence of Bow and Goodie...and it was use as a negative against them.

But we’d be in this situation since the new year, and for whatever reason they didn’t manage to rectify it.

The hope is someone else can

I might have mentioned this before, but we need a moose.
Or we do if we play with a 2 man midfield as we get overrun too easily.

we’ve got a small squad especially with injuries & suspensions so Matt & Jonah are limited in what they can change.

we’ve got a small squad especially with injuries & suspensions so Matt & Jonah are limited in what they can change.
Absolutely, it’s hard to criticise either, they effectively have to work with what they’ve been left with also. We can’t expect a miracle, but just the effort and fight - which we weren’t short of yesterday.

Obviously, they may do or try some new things with having training sessions now placed in, but I think yesterday, far too soon to do much their end.

Think we’ve all been calling for the right person to be hired so no complaints from me if the board take time to assess and pick - we were fortunate that when street left, we already had 2 suitable candidates already in place on the coaching staff.

Sam is a big miss in CM but even then we need more physicality, we've got some decent players with the ball at their feet but if we don't have the ball then they can't do much

I don’t think the score line yesterday reflects the real story, I wouldn’t say it was a 4-0 game. Bootle definitely deserved the win, but the big difference from today to previous months is we didn’t sit back and just defend for our lives. There was effort and energy all over the pitch. I did feel sorry for max yesterday, all he did was run with no real chances created for him.

Certainly positives all over the pitch and I feel that had Sam or Eric been available we would have created much more. I would have liked to see Matty Birchall play alongside Max instead of just behind like yesterday. The only time they were close enough they were able to link up.

Said it before, we need someone who buys into our ethos but also can perform miracles on a small budget, otherwise we’re doomed to NWC football again. Be brave, pick the right man.
Just to clarify Dave, if we do go down it'll be the midland league next season......with Vics.

“allowed players to leave without a fight?”

And your evidence for this assertion is what exactly? Simple fact is that if players aren’t on a contract and other clubs put 7 days notice of approach then if they choose to leave then we have no power to stop them.

Of the 5 key players who have left us since the end of last season - Liam Buckley, McKenzie O’Neill, Jack Irlam, Fenton Green and Joe Woolley, all have either gone ‘bigger’ clubs who have better facilities and / or are willing to pay them far more than we can! ☹️
Hence the ?……it concerns me that these players have left ….. did B+G allow it to happen? …..how much was done to tempt them to stay? Questions that are reasonable given that they left so quickly. Not criticising … just concerned

Somebody who talks sense - the amount of moaning and critical voices is horrific.

This is OUR club - people make decisions for the right reasons, trust the people we’ve appointed and believe they have the best interests in the club at heart - I certainly do.

The club are basically dammed if they do, and dammed if they don’t. This season is going to be tough, we all know that - we need to get behind them and be loud and proud.
It’s perfectly normal to raise these concerns. We all want the best for our club… I’m just concerned that potentially 6 games may pass before a new manager is installed. Almost 1/6th of a season given we only play 38 games. We have two massive games v Trafford and Hednesford looming….I know we may have been taken by surprise somewhat with B+G leaving but sometimes decisions have to expedited and surely this is one of them. I truly hope the appointment is made by the end of the month. COYG

I don’t think the score line yesterday reflects the real story, I wouldn’t say it was a 4-0 game. Bootle definitely deserved the win, but the big difference from today to previous months is we didn’t sit back and just defend for our lives. There was effort and energy all over the pitch. I did feel sorry for max yesterday, all he did was run with no real chances created for him.

Certainly positives all over the pitch and I feel that had Sam or Eric been available we would have created much more. I would have liked to see Matty Birchall play alongside Max instead of just behind like yesterday. The only time they were close enough they were able to link up.
Comply agree. I think that Max worked his arse off but whenever he got the ball he had no one in support. Too many times Matt B was far too deep to help him out.

Been saying it for months, but just for once why don’t we try and play 4-4-2?

Hence the ?……it concerns me that these players have left ….. did B+G allow it to happen? …..how much was done to tempt them to stay? Questions that are reasonable given that they left so quickly. Not criticising … just concerned
“Did B+G allow it to happen?”

What a ridiculous comment.

Yeah, of course they let them leave without trying to persuade them to stay!

If Know anything about football at our level then surely you must know that you can’t stop players who are not contracted to the club from deciding to join another!

And if this club is - as in all the cases I’ve cited above - is able to offer more than we can to the player in terms of ££? have better facilities than we have and are more likely to win trophies, then what might we do to persuade them to stay?

“Did B+G allow it to happen?”

What a ridiculous comment.

Yeah, of course they let them leave without trying to persuade them to stay!

If Know anything about football at our level then surely you must know that you can’t stop players who are not contracted to the club from deciding to join another!

And if this club is - as in all the cases I’ve cited above - is able to offer more than we can to the player in terms of ££? have better facilities than we have and are more likely to win trophies, then what might we do to persuade them to stay?
The Q was … how much persuasion? Not if any at all. I accept we are a feeder club but so are many others at our level. I got the feeling the camp was happier on Saturday and the players put in maximum effort against a well drilled Bootle. With the right manager appointed we can make this season a relative success. COYG

Sam is a big miss in CM but even then we need more physicality, we've got some decent players with the ball at their feet but if we don't have the ball then they can't do much
I dont see Sam as a big miss. He is clearly not fit, hence why he was substituted in the first half at Clitheroe

The most pressing problem as I see it is with midfield and Sam is not the answer. We need to recruit someone with a bit more experiance to play alongside Matt Woolley in midfield (assuming Matt picks himself as interim manager)

Most games are won by the team who wins the battle in midfield and at the moment we cannot compete as a team in that area of the pitch

We also need more quality in other areas of the pitch, but I won’t go into that too much, as we all know where the team needs to be strengthened.

I cannot fault the team effort against Bootle last Saturday - much better performance than what we saw at Clitheroe. Bootle were clearly much better that 1874 but the score line flattered them somewhat, even though we didn’t create many chances in front of goal.

Our current squad lacks experience and depth and I do feel for both Matt and Jonah having to cope with that. All we can do is to carry on giving the team our full support.

I dont see Sam as a big miss. He is clearly not fit, hence why he was substituted in the first half at Clitheroe

The most pressing problem as I see it is with midfield and Sam is not the answer. We need to recruit someone with a bit more experiance to play alongside Matt Woolley in midfield (assuming Matt picks himself as interim manager)
Sam changes games if fit - which by the sounds of it may not have been against Clitheroe. He’s one of the most physical mids we’ve ever had and drives us forward from midfield - when we sit and say our strikers don’t get enough support from the mids, I’m sorry but I have to disagree with this opinion, he’s exactly what we need.

I’m going to have to disagree with this myself, Sam when fit is a huge physical presence in the centre of midfield and drives the ball forward which we miss hugely when he’s not playing. Yes we are missing out on experience I do agree with that part, but even the experienced players this season have been culpable to mistakes, some punished and some not.

Would we have benefitted from having Matt in CM against Bootle instead of playing Benji out of position, yes I do think we would. But I do also think the right decision was made by the Jonah and Matt to have one on the pitch and one on the sides managing. The lads have a huge task on their hands while the search for a new manager is under way, but I’m sure they will do what they feel is best for the club and it’s also up to us as supporters to get behind Jonah, Matt and the rest of lads.

I did notice what appeared to be an increase in the attendance against Bootle they did bring about 50 or so with them, but saw faces I haven’t seen at the games in a long while. I was a little disappointed that there was a drum at the game and wasn’t used, I feel like that could have helped the lads hearing the fans a little bit more.

Sam changes games if fit - which by the sounds of it may not have been against Clitheroe. He’s one of the most physical mids we’ve ever had and drives us forward from midfield - when we sit and say our strikers don’t get enough support from the mids, I’m sorry but I have to disagree with this opinion, he’s exactly what we need.
Completely agree

We are all entitled to our opinions, but Sam just does not cut it for me. Yes he provides a physical presence in midfield when he is fit, but for me I think we could do with a better quality of midfielder to provide both physical presence and creativity. That is just my personal opinion and so I think we should just leave it at that.

We are all entitled to our opinions, but Sam just does not cut it for me. Yes he provides a physical presence in midfield when he is fit, but for me I think we could do with a better quality of midfielder to provide both physical presence and creativity. That is just my personal opinion and so I think we should just leave it at that.
He was one of our best players last season and somehow couldn’t get a sniff. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but it looks like we must watch completely different games if this is your view…he has all the attributes that you are claiming we need in that midfield.

Personally I don’t agree with criticism of players.
It’s the management that pick the team so it’s all their fault ;)

I would say that our 4-2-1-3 formation hasn’t helped at all & we’ve ended up with square pegs in round holes
And some round pegs in round holes have struggled as well because of the shape. e.g. Josh Quarless

Time to get some our departed players back if they are not getting into the teams they’re at. At this level it’s about playing for these guys . Also the priority for the appointing the next manager is their knowledge of the local non league scene.

Back