• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

ARE WITTON IN FREE FALL

Anyone remember the Easter derby game at the Drillfield (1992?) ? Quite a heavy Spring shower twenty minutes or so prior to kick-off, plenty of surface water on the pitch. Referee should have called the game off, but with reasonable numbers already on the terraces, the game happened. Can't remember the score but not surprisingly it wasn't much of a game.

Vics played Witton on 12-4-1993 at the Drill Field losing 1-3 with a gate of 1,971.The other game they played them at home which it could be was on 26-12-1991 at the Driil Field,Vics winning 3-0 a gate of 2,809.I think I know the game you mean Witton had a goalie called Zelam or something like that he was a boxer,but I could be wrong,there was a big puddle of water in f on the stand side of the pitch and he came charging out and made a tackle in it and water went every where.

Water going everywhere is the image that springs to mind Toddy.

Anyone remember the Easter derby game at the Drillfield (1992?) ? Quite a heavy Spring shower twenty minutes or so prior to kick-off, plenty of surface water on the pitch. Referee should have called the game off, but with reasonable numbers already on the terraces, the game happened. Can't remember the score but not surprisingly it wasn't much of a game.
Tez I think that was the game when Carl Alford got sent off for witton within a minute or so after coming on as a second half sub. It had thrown it down and there were huge puddles all over the Drill Field.

I don't expect a gate of 1,971 or 2,809 this boxing day. Its all a bit sad when you think about it.

Vics played Witton on 12-4-1993 at the Drill Field losing 1-3 with a gate of 1,971.The other game they played them at home which it could be was on 26-12-1991 at the Driil Field,Vics winning 3-0 a gate of 2,809.I think I know the game you mean Witton had a goalie called Zelam or something like that he was a boxer,but I could be wrong,there was a big puddle of water in f on the stand side of the pitch and he came charging out and made a tackle in it and water went every where.
Toddy I think it was Joe Paladino in goal for the Albs that day. He was a boxer from Runcorn. Alan Zelem only played for us during the Central Ground days I think.

Tez I think that was the game when Carl Alford got sent off for witton within a minute or so after coming on as a second half sub. It had thrown it down and there were huge puddles all over the Drill Field.
Don't recall the sending off, but it was certainly his era.

I don't expect a gate of 1,971 or 2,809 this boxing day. Its all a bit sad when you think about it.
Debating this only yesterday. Agreed certainly nowhere near those sorts of numbers, those days have gone. I'd estimate no more than 550 - possibly an overgenerous figure (?) - some of that boosted by groundhoppers wanting to witness the last Witton - Vics derby. Whichever way you view their fate, they are unlikely to be playing at NPL levels beyond this season and on the assumption they stay afloat and migrate to pastures new (as most generally accept as reality), then the likelihood is they will never return to that level of football.

Don't recall the sending off, but it was certainly his era.

Debating this only yesterday. Agreed certainly nowhere near those sorts of numbers, those days have gone. I'd estimate no more than 550 - possibly an overgenerous figure (?) - some of that boosted by groundhoppers wanting to witness the last Witton - Vics derby. Whichever way you view their fate, they are unlikely to be playing at NPL levels beyond this season and on the assumption they stay afloat and migrate to pastures new (as most generally accept as reality), then the likelihood is they will never return to that level of football.
Wouldn't disagree with that estimate mate. Could be overly generous possibly.

Can not understand Wittoner's moaning about playing in the Cheshire Senior Cup,saying the have a small squad and it would be a problem if they get player's hurt or suspended,why don't they sign more on they say they just received a large amount of money,so finance should not be a problem.It's no different to 1874 we are in the running for the league,but we treat every composition we enter with respect our fans would not expect any less.

Last edited:
O'h dear Witton won tonight they will have another game to play,lets hope they don't draw the top club in Mid- Cheshire (1874) .

Toddy - can you remember if a Vics cup-tie (FA Trophy?) got switched from Telford (?) to the Drill Field on the day of the match? It would be in the mid 80s. Vics got stuffed in the game. Not sure if I imagined it!!

Nicki I can not recall it but I will see if I can find out,but I doubt it.

Toddy - I'm likely wrong but looking in a Team for all Seasons it might've been the Telford FAT 1st round game 84/85. In January. I notice that it was played on a Monday (not a replay)... which could add credence. And we did get stuffed 0-4. I remembered that much correctly!!

Nicki I think we were drawn at home,and not rearranged from Telford.

There weren't many there, I was but not many. It wasn't the best of games the weather was awful the pitch not brilliant and we only had a couple of first team regulars in the starting line up in a team of development squad and youth players. But we won and on to the next round we go....1874 at home perhaps?

The fact that the game was played was ridiculous with so much water on the pitch! There was a torrential downpour and sheet lightening as the fans were queing at the turnstiles I think kick off might have been delayed? Was the crowd 3,400 I can't remember (or the score which usually suggests that we lost!).

Back