• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Where Would I Be.

I have been asked to explain the clues to Pickmere Lake Question for the people who might not remember it.
Clue 1. It was very popular place for daytrippers and people went boating and swimming there.
Clue 2. It had a fair with Dodger Cars.
Clue 3. It had a Ghost Train.
It was next to The Labour Exchange,were I'm I.

As Marbury Hall was mentioned in a previous answer.i also think Marbury was used as a POW camp for German Soldiers during WW2.Its most famous inmate was the Man City goalkeeper Bert Trautmann star of the 1956 Cup final,Bert was captured in Normandy 1944 and interned at Marbury.The story was that Witton Albion approached the Army to ask if Bert could be released to play for them.Bert while still a POW did attend a Witton home game .and was then offered the chance freedom and turn out for Witton or stay in the camp, Bert chose to stay in the camp he said the POW.s had a better team than that shower at witton . do any witton fans or our own historian T.Barlow have any knowledge of this historic event ?

Bert's name was linked to Witton Virgil,but he never played for them,but he did play for St Helen's.

toddy am I correct that Bert attended a match/event at the drill field in a fund raising capacity,can you remember when it was and what the cause they were supporting. I met Bert when he came down to Witton when ken barnes was involved,still got the autographed cup final programme 1956 that signed for me at the old central ground somewhere

Yes Virgil.Bert played in a all star's 11 against a mixed Vic's and Witton 11 at the Drill Field,he saved a penalty from Arthur Bateman who was reputed to never have missed one before.I have the programme from that game and I also attended the match,I will find it and give you the full information.

The game was played 13-5-1950 at the Drill Field there was a gate of 8,000 the proceeds went to the Northwich Victory Memorial Hall Fund as did the money raised in a similar match played a year later.The first game players such as Bert,Joe Mercer and Roy Clarke were in Harry Ware's team of league stars.There had also been a game played a year earlier for the same fund that made three in all.
Virgil the reason Bert did not sign for Witton was the pies were better in the camp.;)

interesting info provided by club historian T.Barlow that the reason bert trautmann did not sign for Witton was the quality of pies on offer.A fact that seems to have been airbrushed from the history of Witton, At first I thought Bert was being petty, however a little research shows german paratroopers trained on top quality pies.and one of the key aspects of Operation Sealion (the proposed invasion of England was that Hitler wanted to take over the british pie industry especially in the Northwich area.A fact featured in the film " A PIE TOO FAR "" thanks heavens they failed and birtwistles and webs survived (other pies are available) come on Witton get that history correct !

Clue 2.
It's not used for business today as it was.

Clue 3.You have to be careful not to get stamped on here.

Correct Virgil.
About the film " A Pie too Far",I believe Walter Pidgeon played the lead part in it,and Alice Crust was his leading lady

Clue 1.
It had a Fairground opposite 2 or 3 times a year.

Clue 2.
It had Café on one side and a Graveyard on the other.

Thought someone would have got it by now.
Clue 5 You could learn to dance near by.

Correct Tony.
Clue 1.There was a Fair held where the Tax Office was built'
Clue 2.There was a Café on the left where the flats are now,and a graveyard on the right (some of the gravestones still there).
Clue 3.It had it's own social club'.
Clue 4.When Vics were at home the work shop was used as a short by some fans after the game.
Clue 5.Kitty Oake's dance school was opposite.
Next Place.
Clue 1.You would not take a girl on a date here.

Back