• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Vics game

Apologies to go on about Vics and please move this to a better place if there is one, but I know some people have encyclopaedic knowledge of the old days ,don't they James.
My son has sent me a photo of a game he attended at TDF but who are the oppositionView attachment 2567? He has it as 1996 and three players I recognise are Vicary, Duffy and Butler (who left that summer) so must be end of 1995/96 season. The opposition are in dark red shirts with white numbers, black shorts and socks.

Any ideas ?View attachment 2568
Is it the Trophy semi v Hyde?
Steve Walters is the 6, I think

Apologies to go on about Vics and please move this to a better place if there is one, but I know some people have encyclopaedic knowledge of the old days ,don't they James.
My son has sent me a photo of a game he attended at TDF but who are the oppositionView attachment 2567? He has it as 1996 and three players I recognise are Vicary, Duffy and Butler (who left that summer) so must be end of 1995/96 season. The opposition are in dark red shirts with white numbers, black shorts and socks.

Any ideas ?View attachment 2568
Can’t see Chris Duffy on the pic but I think I I can see Darren Vicary, Derek Ward, Steve Walters (6) and Graham Abel.

I’d agree that it is the 95/96 season but I’m not sure who the opponents are. I’ve still got all my Vics programmes from that era but they are in the loft! So at present I can’t provide much more info - sorry!!

Can’t see Chris Duffy on the pic but I think I I can see Darren Vicary, Derek Ward, Steve Walters (6) and Graham Abel.

I’d agree that it is the 95/96 season but I’m not sure who the opponents are. I’ve still got all my Vics programmes from that era but they are in the loft! So at present I can’t provide much more info - sorry!!
Can also see Dave Burgess to the left of Graham Abel.

Would agree with you Edge that its the Hyde FA Trophy semi - hence the good crowd and number of away fans at the old Bus Terminus End. Think that the No 6 for Hyde is Dave Esdaile.

That makes sense as I went to that game and have the programme. I even have the highlights on DVD somewhere so I'll dig it out and have a look.

Thanks very much - you didn't let me down !

Must admit I know we needed to move grounds but still miss the Central Ground.
Wonderful memories of growing up there.
When i first moved to Northwich I remember driving past the Central Ground, but never was able to go there before you moved to Wincham. I wish I had been able to see it. The old grounds had such atmosphere.

Two grounds full of character that we all had pride in.

I remember my first trip to the Central Ground!

It could/should have been so different, certainly on the green side anyway.

You couldn't write it....well, one or two did!!!

I didnt go on Drill Field until the Mid 80s when I was thirteen as my Dad refused to go on there, even when Witton played.
It was for a junior cup final so he had to go.We got beat but went onto to play on there a few more times over the years.
The first time I remember watching Witton on there was a Friday night(Mid Cheshire Senior Cup I think).
Always remember the Person on the tannoy calling us Witton hooligans when a few Witton fans ran on the pitch when scored.
Those were the days.

Last edited:
My first visit to the Central Ground was as a callow youth watching Witton’s Trophy tie against Chelmsford City. The only other visit was the FA Cup when King’s hat trick of headers in Vics most successful cup run in its history.
Always shopped in Sainsbury’s though 😉😁

Nice to reminisce about the old days.
I first went to the Drill Field in the mid 1950’s, with my Father And Grandfather. They were so one eyed that they wouldn’t watch Witton even when we played them at home. That’s how it was in those days. No football on TV, you were either one or the other in Northwich.

You had your nice new cantilever stand , but our playing surface at the central ground was second to none ....
Always thought are pitch your stand , non league heaven...

The CG was actually one of my other favourite grounds. Always felt cosy on the pop side compared to the vastness of the Danebank. Super view from there though!👍

You had your nice new cantilever stand , but our playing surface at the central ground was second to none ....
Always thought are pitch your stand , non league heaven...
Yup. CG pitch was great, TDF not so! I well recall a game v Gainsborough in around 1978 when by the end of the game you were struggling to tell which side was which. A cracking game too. Ended 5-4 to vics

I didnt go on Drill Field until the Mid 80s when I was thirteen as my Dad refused to go on there, even when Witton played.
It was for a junior cup final so he had to go.We got beat but went onto to play on there a few more times over the years.
The first time I remember watching Witton on there was a Friday night(Mid Cheshire Senior Cup I think).
Always remember the Person on the tannoy calling us Witton hooligans when a few Witton fans ran on the pitch when scored.
Those were the days.
Season 1989/90. The only season I saw all of Vics games.

Just before Christmas. Vics won 3-2 with a last minute winner

I was Vics programme editor at the time.

Heard of older generation wittoners that never stepped foot in the DF. Even when witton played there. And vice versa. Also heard there are Vics fans that have never shopped in Sainsburys as it’s on our old ground! 😂

I was always a vics fan but I did go to the CG to now and again when they had players like Chris Nicholl, Peter Mellor, John Goryl etc. I did find my DVD and it was Hyde in the photo. Can you recall when Vics had three players on the England semi Professional squad ? Hardly seems credible!

Back