• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

US election

Should Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton be US president?

• Clinton

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Trump

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Neither

Votes: 7 38.9%

• Total voters
The question on the voting slip that we each got, which had been passed by each 6 mps to 1 in parliament, was - do you want the UK to remain part of the EU or do you not want the UK to remain part of the EU. How can it possibly have been any clearer than that? To say that people did not understand what that question meant is a disgrace.

I think it was actually even clearer than that because the question was should UK remain a member of the EU or leave the EU? However, whilst everybody will have understood the question, none us understood what the consequences of selecting either option would be. How could we possibly? Nobody actually told us what they would be... not least because nobody actually knew what they would be. Everybody who voted was, at best, speculating on the future.

You have forgotten, Nicki, that under the new rules of populist democracy all those who voted for the losing side in any election or vote have to immediately concede that the other side was right all along and should lock themselves in a dark soundproofed room for the foreseeable future. Opposition parties and dissenting voices will no longer be tolerated, and the winning side is thus able to claim 100% support for every measure decreed from that point onwards. ;)

The ironic thing is that those on the 'losing' side are getting shouted down for trying to have a voice by those on the 'winning' side who voted the way they did because they wanted to have a voice. If the winning side had started shouting a little sooner maybe such extreme measures to be heard wouldn't have been needed?

You only sing when you're winning? :)

Andy, I've just dug out a video which shows Trump's comments and it's quite clear that he's talking about all Mexican immigrants as being criminals, rapists and drug dealers.

Thats my point, media manipulation. Go watch the full rally that was taken from, watch the build up, he's talking about illegal mexican immigrants. Taken out of context - shameful journalism. But what do you expect from the BBC? The sooner that gutter is scrapped the better.

So this anti-establishment sentiment can be very dangerous in the wrong hands.

Aye, when you look at Marie Pen you're right. But the left seem to put political correctness before being against the establishment. The left are too scared at the moment to be anti globalism in fear of being labelled racist - basically they've made their own bed. All it takes is for a left leaning party to take the anti-establishment batton, Corbyn looked like that for a while, but when he rolled over and went back on what he'd said for 30 years about the EU and campaigned to remain - he lost all credibility. Don't forget 20 odd years ago, Farage voted for the Greens because they were the only Eurosceptic party at the time. So the left can be anti-establishment, they seem to refuse to at the moment.

Maybe because he already has stupid amounts of money and it won't make much difference him spending a bit more of it? Also, Trump thrives off being hated, mocked and ridiculed, as he does love the attention and it goes with his macho personality and sociopath tendencies. This is where I feel some of the media went wrong. Why give him the coverage he so badly craved?

No one wants to be treated like he was. He even said himself that the campaign was horrible and grueling. If he didn't care, he wouldn't have done it.

. He does have some interesting policies though and isn't your natural Republican candidate.

Because he's not really a republican. But in America, a third party is never going to win. So his only choice was infiltrate the the Republicans and change it from the inside out.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the issue of Trump being racist.

He just isn't, though. Hillary Clinton was the one that calls the former head of the KKK her 'mentor'.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

http://mediamatters.org/video/2016/03/15/ben-stein-i-have-not-heard-a-racist-word-out-of/209278

And when it comes to civil rights, he's not Homophobic, either, like the media would lead you to believe.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/nov/2/donald-trump-holds-high-flag-gay-equality/
http://www.nytimes.com/politics/fir...eople-should-use-the-bathroom-they-want/?_r=1

And the world really is a safer place today than it was on election day. The world though Clinton was going to get in, and Clinton getting in would have brought the world closer to Nuclear war than it has ever been before.

Last edited:
Paul it's great you can post on hear,and you are very welcome ,pity the same can not be said for the Witton form were if you have a different opinion than them you get banned,what's your opinion?.

Our forum is extremely welcoming to fans of other clubs Toddy and we welcome everyone's opinions. However those that consistently insult the club and/or its fans are warned and subsequently banned if it continues. What is your point?

I read your forum every now and again and something I notice every time is a distinct lack of humour. I don't know if it's welcoming or not on an individual level but there's little that attracts an outsider to join in. Very inward looking and takes itself too seriously. Also, I think people over react to those who do stir it. They exist on every forum and in addition to being annoying they also provide an outlet for the real fans frustration and set themselves up to be laughed at.
Not just because it's our forum but I really believe the balance is better on here. You join in and give as good as you get and use humour - it's a shame more Albion fans dont join in. Perhaps we should experiment with a humour only neutral forum!!! The forum equivalent of the WW1 footie games in no mans land.

I read your forum every now and again and something I notice every time is a distinct lack of humour. I don't know if it's welcoming or not on an individual level but there's little that attracts an outsider to join in. Very inward looking and takes itself too seriously. Also, I think people over react to those who do stir it. They exist on every forum and in addition to being annoying they also provide an outlet for the real fans frustration and set themselves up to be laughed at.
Not just because it's our forum but I really believe the balance is better on here. You join in and give as good as you get and use humour - it's a shame more Albion fans dont join in. Perhaps we should experiment with a humour only neutral forum!!! The forum equivalent of the WW1 footie games in no mans land.
I agree with some of what you say there Pete. I love the banter but to be honest I don't think many Wittoners see a "proper" rivalry with 1874, like we used to with the V*cs in the good old days. There are many reasons for that such as the decline in supporting non league football generally, you playing in a different town, V*cs still being around etc etc. Maybe that is one of the reasons more Witoners don't come on here, I don't know. As for sense of humour there has been a couple of idiots (from whatever green side of town they are) that crossed the banter line and were quite rightly, in my opinion, banned from our forum.

Anyway I think this thread is probably going off topic now...

At least this forum has managed a fairly lively (and mostly reasoned) debate on the US elections - can't see any mention of it at all on the WA forum. That reinforces Pete's point about it being very inward looking.

At least this forum has managed a fairly lively (and mostly reasoned) debate on the US elections - can't see any mention of it at all on the WA forum. That reinforces Pete's point about it being very inward looking.
Mostly we talk about football on our forum. We are a football club first and foremost that our fans care about passionately, i'm not sure how that fact makes us inward looking? And I would have thought there are more relevant forums to talk about things like the election of President Trump or Brexit if you feel so strongly about it.

Last edited:
Linking to the passing of Leonard Cohen, not the most cheerful wordsmith of our times, but still.

Particularly the first verse.

Paul the Witton forum is supposed to be a open forum where each contributor should be treated equally,if thats the case why is there no action taken against the Wittoner's who post calling us green slime and green scum,surely they should be banned under it's rules but it seems there's one rule for one and one for the other.The trouble is a lot of you can give it but not take,I suggest you ban all none Wittoner's from the, site,then your delicate feelings will not be hurt.So Paul do you think the ones who call us green slime and green scum should be banned?.How about you Turncoat what's your opinion?.

Mostly we talk about football on our forum. We are a football club first and foremost that our fans care about passionately, i'm not sure how that fact makes us inward looking? And I would have thought there are more relevant forums to talk about things like the election of President Trump or Brexit if you feel so strongly about it.

The topic is in "General Chat" Paul, a section designed to encourage topical discussion beyond the immediate parameters of football. It gives posters an opportunity to argue and philosophically debate the relevant burning issues of the day (if they so wish), including our favourite fluffy bunny pictures and our Friday night plans - in pictorial form :D ....... Ah, those were the days! :cool::)

Just for you, Tez ...
images

Reactions: Tez
Thats my point, media manipulation. Go watch the full rally that was taken from, watch the build up, he's talking about illegal mexican immigrants. Taken out of context - shameful journalism. But what do you expect from the BBC? The sooner that gutter is scrapped the better.
I think it's easy to blame the media for accurately reporting what he says. Yes, they are hostile towards him but with good reason. No one has made Trump say what he has but Trump himself. I was reading a piece in the Guardian the other day which outlines some of exactly what he said towards Mexicans, Muslims and women. Towards Mexicans - "When Mexico sends it people, they're not sending their best... They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people." Towards Muslims - "Donald Trump is calling for a total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States." Towards women (arguably the most indefensible) - "I moved on her like a b****, but I couldn't get there. And she was married." All these comments are pretty outrageous. There's no media manipulation that I can see. There are comments he made towards gay people and the disabled which I can dig out as well. As for a ban on the BBC, thank god we have the Beeb so they can keep a lid on the dominance of the right-wing establishment press. There's a reason why Murdoch wants its shut down - and that's because he sees it as a threat to his own commercial dominance.

Aye, when you look at Marie Pen you're right. But the left seem to put political correctness before being against the establishment. The left are too scared at the moment to be anti globalism in fear of being labelled racist - basically they've made their own bed. All it takes is for a left leaning party to take the anti-establishment batton, Corbyn looked like that for a while, but when he rolled over and went back on what he'd said for 30 years about the EU and campaigned to remain - he lost all credibility. Don't forget 20 odd years ago, Farage voted for the Greens because they were the only Eurosceptic party at the time. So the left can be anti-establishment, they seem to refuse to at the moment.
Yes, I'd agree - the left do need to find a mainstream, anti-establishment alternative to that which the right offer. The rise of populist left, anti-establishment parties has happened to a certain extent in Greece with Syriza and in Spain with Podemos but not reaIly in Britain. I think Labour do need to be a party which represents the working classes once more, as they seem to have become a "middle-class clique" under Corbyn. It's easy for these types of people to dismiss people's concerns about immigration and the EU as they're not affected themselves. However, I do think Corbyn was right to campaign to stay in the EU, as polling data show that 2/3 of Labour voters voted to Remain in the EU and the overwhelming majority of the party's members.

No one wants to be treated like he was. He even said himself that the campaign was horrible and grueling. If he didn't care, he wouldn't have done it.
I'm afraid he should have thought about the way the media treated him before he opened his mouth and made the numerous offensive comments he has made.
Because he's not really a republican. But in America, a third party is never going to win. So his only choice was infiltrate the the Republicans and change it from the inside out.
Sadly, I feel he will it change from the inside out for the worse. I wonder what great Repulican leaders such as Abraham Lincoln would make of Trump and his hi-jacking of the party . I think he would be appalled and ashamed.

He just isn't, though. Hillary Clinton was the one that calls the former head of the KKK her 'mentor'.
Trump is supported by KKK. That tells everything you need to know about him.

And the world really is a safer place today than it was on election day. The world though Clinton was going to get in, and Clinton getting in would have brought the world closer to Nuclear war than it has ever been before.
Again, I'm afraid I totally disagree. In Trump, you've got a man who has called for a ban on all Muslims, who has said "I'm Gonna Bomb The Sh** Out Of ISIS", and who is friendly with Putin and no doubt endorses Russia's disgraceful actions in Aleppo in killing innocent civilians in hospitals and other public spaces and deliberately targeting aid coveys. I fear that Trump's inflammatory and divisive rhetoric would put the world at a greater risk of terrorism and threaten not the only the national security of America, but also potentially that of Britain and the rest of the western world. My view is that Clinton was by far the better and more qualified of the presidential candidates. She would also have ensured some much-needed stability that is so badly missing currently.

Last edited:
Was it Clinton or Trump who said "What's the point of having nuclear weapons if you don't use them?"

Here is a video that exposes the media for what they really are. Shameful.

Like everything else, if you take at face value what you see or read in any media outlet, or indeed on any blog site such as this one, you are not exercising your powers of reasoning to the full. That clip, however, merely exposes one TV news outlet for doing what every TV news outlet does in an age where too many viewers have the attention span of a gnat, and that is selecting sound bites for broadcasting. Politicians are trained by their media advisors to insert potential sound bites into their speeches specifically so that the media will pounce on them and broadcast them, and it is somewhat duplicitous of any politician to then complain that they've taken the "wrong" sound bite.

What cannot be denied, however, is that in another speech - the one most frequently quoted by the media - he most clearly stated that "Donald J Trump is calling for a total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the US". He then went on to tweet this statement, and it is still there on the Donald Trump website at
https://www.donaldjtrump.com/press-...mp-statement-on-preventing-muslim-immigration
That is not media manipulation of the facts, that is turning to the primary sources.

And I worry about anyone who talks about themselves in the 3rd person. ;)

Back