• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Promotion!

Last season formby failed to get their ground up to scratch so were not promoted. This season they have ground shared thus trying to pay rent when their average crowds are about 40! (If that!) That many paying a fiver each week only amounts to £200. Take out expenditures etc its leaves little to pay rent. Bad management is hardly our fault. Perhaps they should be directing their anger at the right people.
Congrats to all the players and staff and all those who have put such an effort in this season.

The tweet Formby did, over an hour after our fans were told, was just to take the shine off our promotion, and to appease people from Flixton and others, I won't go on anymore as I'm already finding it hard not to reply to Formby on Twitter, no need for comments like that.

To be fair Jack, just like the majority of us, Formby fans don't give a monkey's about anyone in Flixton. ;)

The tweet was a little unfortunate, but perhaps understandable given the rawness, disappointment and frustration they felt at the time? When the news broke I'm sure the majority (if not all) of 1874'ers were focused more on the fact we'd been dealt a lucky (?) break and just assumed that promotion was down to all the other reshuffling a taking place and not as a consequence of a fellow club folding. As others have pointed out, even then we've all posted/tweeted with sympathy and respect.:scarf:

There have been one or two comments recently about the 1874 Board authorizing increased expenditure to allow Ian to bring in additional players although this was before yesterdays news.

The fate of Formby and Flixton Victoria are very good examples of what happens when you choose that path and echoing Blackies comment their fans angst should be directed at the individuals who brought their clubs to this sorry state than fellow football fans who had taken the momentous decision to run their own affairs rather than rely upon benevolent businessmen who have other "agendas"

Last edited:
The tweet was a little unfortunate, but perhaps understandable given the rawness, disappointment and frustration they felt at the time? When the news broke I'm sure the majority (if not all) of 1874'ers were focused more on the fact we'd been dealt a lucky (?) break and just assumed that promotion was down to all the other reshuffling a taking place and not as a consequence of a fellow club folding. As others have pointed out, even then we've all posted/tweeted with sympathy and respect.:scarf:

That's correct Tez. Whilst I knew in the morning that we had been offered the opportunity to step up into the Premier League, I didn't have all the facts to hand (only when I read my emails later on). Therefore my first 'Tweet' about it being a good day to celebrate was posted before I understood Formby's unfortunate situation. I know all 1874 supporters will empathise with their fans and officials, we have lived through our own disappointments in the past and understand how low they must be feeling. Good luck to them, I hope they genuinely find a way forward.

Whilst we are mindful of the situation, we have been offered this opportunity because we got it right 'on the pitch' and therefore we will seize it with both hands (or 22 legs!).

Given our history with regards to demotions due off field activities and the fact this is our first season, would it have made a great deal of difference if we had turned down this "windfall"?

It is possible that at the end of next season we could be looking back at a mid-table finish in the premier league rather than a championship season in the first division. Which would be better for the momentum of our new club?

I don't blame anyone for grasping an opportunity but just a thought.

I know exactly where you're coming from Richard, and that was my initial thought. But think of it this way, more home games, more teams that will bring a number of away fans all creating extra income for the club. A derby against Runcorn Linnets will creat more hype for the club than a game against say Ashton Town.

Id be happy with a top half finish.

Richard, we've just got to move forward and let Ian build a better team.

It will be difficult to get out of this next league with only one promotion spot. From what I saw of the NWCL premier last season there wasn't much between us and Abbey Hey, Squires Gate and West Didsbury, but a big difference to Maine Road and Runcorn Linnets. We will do well to finish in the top half and this is achievable, beyond that is probably beyond us in our first year. But I am sure Ian will already be looking at strengthening the team in preparation for next year.

Games look more local as well for the awaydays!!

Can't wait!!

Given our history with regards to demotions due off field activities and the fact this is our first season, would it have made a great deal of difference if we had turned down this "windfall"?

It is possible that at the end of next season we could be looking back at a mid-table finish in the premier league rather than a championship season in the first division. Which would be better for the momentum of our new club?

I don't blame anyone for grasping an opportunity but just a thought.

I think there are a few people who would recoil at the implied comparison with Northwich Victoria. That is the history of the club that most of us supported, but it should not be seen as "our" history in this context - it was not the fans who landed that particular club in one mess after another and dragged it down through the pyramid, we the fans were pretty much powerless onlookers. By contrast, it is the fans who are driving this club forward, and we do not have to look on helplessly while the latest incompetent businessman uses the club to further his own ends. We are in control of our destiny.

There is indeed a balance to be struck between ambition and realism, while maintaining sustainability. One factor in the whole equation we don't know (and now never will) is how many of the season one faithful would persevere in season two after missing out on promotion. I am not saying that a large number would have drifted away, but it might have cost say 10%, with the not-so-committed deciding the momentum had been lost. A move up a division, however, maintains that momentum and keeps the casual spectators interested.

Those casual spectators may well still drift away if we struggle at a higher level, but I am confident that we can establish ourselves above half way - and I think a top half finish would be a realistic aim. We have the potential to do this in a sustainable manner, because we have a solid and healthy fanbase - easily enough to compete at NWCFL Premier level - and have established good fund-raising streams away from the turnstiles. I am sure even a 10% drop in attendance (worst-case scenario) would not impact too much on financial planning. Moreover, we have (I believe) a Board which has its many feet firmly planted on the ground, and the club is therefore highly unlikely to start splashing the cash or indulging in other flights of fancy. And finally, we have the core of a team which I feel is perfectly capable of holding its own in the Premier.

Staying in NWCFL1 in order to win the Division merely delays such considerations by 12 months. And what if we finished 3rd on goal difference again? Then the momentum really would be lost. I'm no risk-taker, but I was fully behind the move to form 1874 and I am fully behind the decision to accept promotion. "If an opportunity comes, grab it while you can" is one of my guiding principles. Let's go for it.

:scarf:

I apologise for the phrase "our history", it does imply a slight by association which was not intended. I'm sure that history will prove that accepting promotion was the correct course of action, but in an ideal world I would like to have seen 1874 promoted by their own graft on the field, and I was looking forward to all the excitement that would have produced. I accept that missing out for a second time would have sorely tested a few fans resolve, but I think this next season may possibly do the same.

On the other hand, Ian May work his magic and we could see another promotion race with even bigger gates. Who knows. The land lords v tennants game will be a good one!

The adventure continues.

I apologise for the phrase "our history", it does imply a slight by association which was not intended. I'm sure that history will prove that accepting promotion was the correct course of action, but in an ideal world I would like to have seen 1874 promoted by their own graft on the field,and I was looking forward to all the excitement that would have produced. I accept that missing out for a second time would have sorely tested a few fans resolve, but I think this next season may possibly do the same.

On the other hand, Ian May work his magic and we could see another promotion race with even bigger gates. Who knows. The land lords v tennants game will be a good one!

The adventure continues.

In fairness Richard, our "own graft on the field" saw us miss out by virtue of one own goal in the last quarter of the final game of the season; we're talking "fag paper" differences ;) However I do agree that promotion would have felt all the more satisfying if we'd collected all three points at Burscough or Colls had hung on for a draw the following weekend.

In terms of taking that promotion opportunity this year instead of next? I'm sure Paul and the Board, given our league position throughout the campaign, will have analysed and discussed the financial implications at length back in the Spring (or even earlier) and agreed as to whether it was a viable proposition given the budget available? After all, even if we'd finished first or second would we have necessarily accepted promotion if the funds weren't there anyway?

Final thought though Richard, you're absolutely right to pose the question; the fact that we can have an open debate amongst the fan base and raise doubts, rather than have to swallow the promises of one individual, while blindly following like sheep in the process, can only be a positive surely? I reckon we're in good shape for the season to come and if we all have realistic and level headed expectations, I can only see us going from strength to strength.:scarf:

It's been said before, but it's worth saying again (and again) ... Isn't it nice to be debating these positive developments rather than the old-style waves of end-of-season negativity and gloom?

Yes it is Alan. Much rather be in our position than going through the emotional mangle that two Conference clubs find themselves in ahead of their AGM. Hopefully (and no reason to suppose otherwise) we've seen an end to post-season off-field angst.

Have formby relised there statement yet about there future? Geniune question asked out of intrigue and concern for the club

It is indeed a great shame. The website statement is a very dignified but very definitive farewell. It is also a salutory lesson in the perils of over-reliance on a single benefactor (albeit with a range of useful contacts) as well as a reminder of the ultimate pitfalls of groundsharing away from 'home'. We would do well to heed the underlying implications of the latter. It will be a pity that we will not be able to renew the burgeoning rivalry created in our encounters last season. I fear that they do not appear to have a sufficiently large fanbase (unless they are very dormant) to enable them to re-emerge any time soon, either.

Very sobering words and thoughts in Formbys statement. A timely reminder that it is so important that we all contribute in whatever way we can to enable our club to flourish. Rightly, we should grasp promotion with both hands, however advacement must work hand in hand with financial stability. Ambition must not be allowed to over ride clear judgement. No business can survive if the figures dont add up.
Lets not forget, we are in this for the long run.
Rant over, now lets look forward to next season.

Call that a rant??!
You need some rant training! Now who springs to mind ...? ;)

Back