• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Land for sale

Nik_s

Legend
Jul 28, 2013
Not sure who has seen this or not, or if the 'strip' is large enough for a pitch let alone a stadium.

If it is possible then this would really need to be considered as it is the closest land available to Northwich and has a sizeable catchment area with Winnington Village growing everyday.

Those holding out for Moss Farm will still be holding out in 5 years time, it isn't going to happen unless those on the board responsible for the prospective stadium know anything different. It isn't viable in the medium-long term to stay in Winsford unless we start engaging with the community there to build up support and increase the fanbase - if we want to grow. We are Northwich in name but it's more difficult to increase the fanbase within Northwich whilst playing out of town. The cup run will I think help boost the attendances over the short term if we continue the style and form we have achieved so far.

Here is the link - http://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-property-for-sale/property-68991359.html

Says it’s 5 acres, which according to google is just over 20,000 square meters.

Sounds big to me, but Electrical is my trade so maybe someone from a civil background might be able to tell us if that’s big enough :D

It's the width of it that concerns me - it might be on the narrow side.

Next to Barnton bridge and opposite the old Wallerscote Island Works where the houses are being built. Not being negative but I can't honestly see planning for a football ground being approved here.

5 acres = 5 x 4840 sq yds = 24200 (sorry, I think in old money)

acc to my ruler on my screen 8cm x 3 cm so a ratio of 8:3
which even for me dredging up my ancient school maths is a fairly easy one ...
that is very roughly 230m x 85m

Length isn't an issue, but 45m is the absolute minimum pitch width

Tony ... they can't say 'no' if you don't ask the question.

The Barton Stadium pitch is 110 yds x 69yds. We measured it before we started putting the Oxyl-Pro chemical on it last preseason.

The pitch itself is about 1.5 acres, the infrastructure around it will obviously vary from place to place. The O2 is 11 acres (useless fact No. 572).

Back of fag packet calculations ... pitch 110 x 60, "main stand" side add 30, other side add 10, makes width 110 - which is why this might be a bit narrow. The only way you might get round that is by having your main office etc infrastructure at one end rather than on one side and having a narrow stand down the side.

But - just to shown a real-life comparison - my local Wimborne Town ground (capacity 3200, but I wouldn't like to be there with that many! Usually more like 250ish) is squeezed into a similar long narrow parcel of land approx 200m x 80m, with the main buildings top corner, narrow stand with car parking behind and three open but very narrow sides flanked by the local community hospital (top right), a new housing development (bottom right) a field used as a makeshift community pitch (bottom left) and a river (off photo at bottom) with a narrow country road "access" (top).
upload_2017-10-5_10-2-49.png

I would take that to get back to northwich
We would go from strength to strength

What does 'Reservation of future development rights' mean as this is included in the description on Rightmove and is that a cause for concern?

Looking on Google Maps then Marine's set up more than fits with ample room down each side. I like the idea of the side pitch in Alan's example which includes a makeshift community pitch. But there would be a need to have as much car parking space as possible given its location. There would no doubt be objections due to the traffic situation with Barnton Bridge but the times that games are played should provide comfort that it won't be at peak times for road usage.
I'm sure that the plans for Winnington Village included a footbridge over the River but i'd need to check this.

Marine have the advantage of having been in residence for over 100 years though - whether they would get permission from scratch nowadays is a more moot point. They did a few years ago get development permission though.

That narrow bridge at the T-junction would to me be a bigger issue than the residential development. It is a bit of a bottleneck. But we are not talking about thousands of spectators descending on the place. Well, not for a couple of years anyway.

Wimborne have their clubhouse, dressing rooms, shop, offices etc all in the corner and it works fine. They have very limited parking, but they are 'edge of town' so for many they are within walking distance and others, like me, use residential streets in the vicinity. But like Marine, they've been there for years.

I suspect that on that plot of land the extra area would be more useful as car parking, however much you might want a training pitch! Maybe an all-weather 5-a-side, to rent out?

We only get 1 chance to move back to Northwich and are we sure this is the spot to call home for the future?
It's not Northwich - it is Barnton. Which would mean that village has 3 NWCFL clubs?
Where are the nearest car parking areas should the on site car park be full?
Where are the nearest pubs.
How are the local transport links?
Precisely where is the local community we could engage with?
We should not be that desperate to move back to Northwich that we look to buy the first remotely relevant plot of land?
There are far better options that will soon become available.
Tony also has a good point - land for development is currently valued at around £400,000 per acre. At that price it would suggest that this plot must remain as agricultural land.

It may well be unadvisable to advertise on here keen interest in a particularly attractive piece of land which becomes available (and I am not suggesting that this qualifies as "particularly attractive"), It would certainly be unadvisable (downright crazy) for the Board publicly to indicate any interest in any such land.

However, as an exercise in people exploring what is and what is not possible, what size of land is needed, how imaginative we can be with possible obstacles, and other such things, this is quite useful. It shows we are capable of developing ideas, discussing options etc and will stand us in good stead when the time comes to turn dreams into reality.

Apart from anything else, this piece of land is being auctioned in a week's time. That is not much time to dig into what is and is not feasible or even allowed, let alone to scrape together 40K+. Unless someone fancies opening a Just Giving page ... ;)

Not sure its a good idea to advertise on an open forum any land thats for sale that we may be interested in purchasing.

Simply stimulating debate on a subject which is close to everyone involved with the club. It's a plot of land, being advertised on a publicly available website and the post is on the independent forum.

Joe - a few valid questions posed and few not so.

Back