• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

JRFC Potential Ground Share rumour, speculation, hearsay

Tony1874

Too much time on my hands
Aug 1, 2013
Rumors have been rife over the last few days of a potential ground share between Witton and JRFC. How do 1874 fans feel about the potential return of JRFC to Northwich and how, if at all, could it affect 1874?

Seems like an odd move by Witton if true, but their business I guess.

In terms of 1874, I think it shouldn't make too much difference. The fans we have we'll keep and the fans that have decided against watching '74 either have given up on local football or have other interests, so they weren't our fans to lose. Difficult to see much difference in footfall through the turnstiles for Vics either or at least negligible and certainly not enough to cover the rental cost you'd think. They've been too long in the wilderness of Stafford and Flixton now in my opinion.

I would finally add that providing the tenancy cost at Wincham Park was financially viable, I'd jump at the chance of 1874 pushing for a move there sometime in the not too distant future.

Well 'apparently' Derek Nuttall has been quoted questioning how may TRAITORS will be returning to watch Vics, with an attitude like that it won't be any. Seems somethings never change but are we really surprised?

JRFC annual financial accounts running at minus £267k with £2k in the bank and Witton are contemplating a ground share, are they crazy or just desperate for cash?

I've seen the thread on Facebook & heard people talking about it but there's nothing at all about it on the Albion forum.

Personally, I don't think it affects us much, unless we suddenly need a ground of that standard and that is 2 seasons away at the very earliest.
I don't think we'll lose any fans either as we're an established club now, not just a pie in the sky idea.

Not a popular topic or are fans just numb with the thought of JRFC potentially returning to Northwich?

I think most people find it hard to believe that a) Witton would even consider it, or b) JRFC could afford it.

Think we were all resigned to the fact that Witton would never consider it mate but they obviously have financial issues with an apparent tax bill to pay and the current league position will most certainly convince their fans that it's necessary to explore all areas.
On the issue of JRFC affording it, they are £267k in the red, still paying rent at Valley Road, with no known sponsors and operating a top 5 team on 80 gates..... Say no more other than, if it's agreed where does it leave 1874? Ground sharing at the BS for 5 to 10 years?

If I was a Witton director then I'd want to see proof of funds, and a large portion paid up front.

Where does it leave us? No idea :) At the moment we've got a ground that should be ok for one promotion but after that I don't know how much money will have to be spent to get it up to NPL Prem standard.
The solution is of course a return to town in our own ground, but where?

Not doubting that the BS was the right decision, I believe it was however by taking this option we left the back door to Northwich wide open for a JRFC return. Question is after two seasons at the BS are we now in a better financial position to afford a move the WP?

In reverse order, I would expept the AGM to show us in a very healthy financial position. I'm not sure if the rental figures have ever been disclosed but Witton would have been dearer than the BS - say £200 a game more? That's around £5k a season more.

For me the only reason to leave the BS would be to move to our new ground, or if we have to to meet promotion criteria.

As for JRFC, I don't think many of us thought they'd still be in business now let alone in a position to move back to Northwich.

Surely an increase in gates prices from £5 to £6 could subsidise an increase in rent, don't see many fans begrudging that increase if it meant getting back to Northwich.

Strange though, that if Witton do have a tax bill to pay, why would they be happy taking money from a bankrupt that has a history of not paying tax to pay their tax. Surely business due diligence should be the top priority and consideration before making any agreement or it may come back and bite them on the arse.

Surely an increase in gates prices from £5 to £6 could subsidise an increase in rent, don't see many fans begrudging that increase if it meant getting back to Northwich.

Perhaps something which could be formally raised for discussion at the AGM so the opinions of the fan base (not all of them necessarily embrace social media) could be sought ?

It would be much easier for Witton to walk along a gradual contour, than to race down hill from their moral high ground to collect rent from the same immoral level that JRFC occupy because the climb back up is hard, slow and long.

I agree Tez and I'm sure it will be but we also need to get our feelings out in the open beforehand to give time for fans to consolidate their views and opinions. ;)

I agree Tez and I'm sure it will be but we also need to get our feelings out in the open beforehand to give time for fans to consolidate their views and opinions. ;)

Absolutely. Hopefully people might share their thoughts on the idea, one way or the other, through the thread.

That's the beauty of a democratically run fans owned football club, not being afraid to ask questions and receiving honest answers. ;)

I could not care less where they play it is of no interest to me.What I do know is,I am loving watching 1874 home and away.In my opinion it was the right decision to play at Winsford,we started where we mean to go on living with in our mean's,isn't that where a lot of teams go wrong?.So forget what the other team's do and concentrate on our club,remember Rome wasn't built in a day.At the moment we are well on the way to being the top team in Mid-Cheshire.

On the positive side, in response to this, a £1 increase of this nature would for some/most/all (?) fans represent an overall reduction in cost due to the shorter distance travelled to home games. I am confident the Board will have carried out a full cost-benefit analysis of all the various short-term options for the coming season(s) and will have factored in the impact on the fanbase.

The long-term option (home in our own home) is however the one which has to be borne in mind at all times. That should be at the heart of the 1874 mission statement. (Sorry, been away peddling mission statements at people for 3 days ...)

As for what JR & co do, I suspect the vast majority don't really care, though Tony is right to say that should their management team decide to relocate their club to mid-Cheshire it would necessarily impact the established clubs in the area. Not sure why they would want to enter a marketplace already crowded with Witton, 1874, Winsford, Barnton, Lostock, Rudheath ... ;)

Back