• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

1874 News Friendly versus Winsford United

Edge

Administrator
Forum Staff
5 Game Player
Jun 24, 2013
We have arranged a game at the Barton Stadium on Tuesday night. 19:45 Kick off
Admission is Adults £5, Concessions £3 and free entry for children

Continue reading...

Despite the 4pm inspection Winsford have announced game on

If be tempted to play our U8s to avoid injuries to the first team

I'm not being funny but given our injuries and the general thin look of the squad I'm quite surprised that this game was even scheduled to begin with, unless the idea is to play a number of our under 21's

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Unforeseen!

An update from Winsford…
To clarify, the FA appointed match referee inspected the pitch at 4pm & again at 6:30pm, on both occasions he deemed the pitch playable. Unfortunately our opponents werent comfortable to proceed & declined to play at this point, we wish them good luck for the rest of the season!

Would suggest still doesn't show us in a good light, why not call it off earlier if any concerns. I growing increasingly frustrated with how we operate lately. If a referee deems good enough to play it would surely have been a good opportunity to see new faces and try new things as things aren't changing and we could soon be past saving.

I think that if it was a league / cup game, then yes it would have gone ahead.

But for a friendly with the snow / freezing temperatures / state of the pitch, I think we were right to not risk injuries.

I definitely think the game should have been called off sooner, with it just being a friendly.

I would have thought that it showed us in a good light.
We were prepared to risk the wrath of Winsford to protect the safety of our players and officials and when other players hear of that they might decide that 1874 is a club worth playing for.
The Board and Management get my full support for their decision.

Last edited:
why not call it off earlier if any concerns
How many times have you ever seen 3 pitch inspections for a friendly?

I don't know anything about what happened at the ground last night because when the 4pm inspection passed I decided that they were having a laugh, I left work, and instead of heading to mid-cheshire I went home because no sane person would have played a friendly last night.

Back