• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

1874 News First Team Manager Position

In all fairness edge, Multiple members have made complaints, and very little seems to have been done.

I’ve used the ignore user feature, and encourage other users to do so, but I don’t think it should come to that

Give it a rest
Not seen you say the same to James?

Maybe take a look and see who people moan about more, me or him?

Easy to have a go at me isn’t it, but won’t say it to your friend when he clearly is the problem. Bit awkward…

Quote from the the forum rules as clearly @Edge has forgotten to apply the same standards to a certain poster (or do I mean friend?) - Keep all commentary civil, and be courteous at all times.

Last edited:

Easy to have a go at me isn’t it, but won’t say it to your friend when he clearly is the problem. Bit awkward…

Quote from the the forum rules as clearly @Edge has forgotten to apply the same standards to a certain poster (or do I mean friend?) - Keep all commentary civil, and be courteous at all times.
You have my apologies. I posted in haste & got it wrong.

I'm able to speak face-to-face with James, something I can't do with you, and also spoken to him via the forum.
Should you feel posts breach the rules then please continue to report them & we'll investigations will be done.
It might appear that no action is taken but that is not the case.

In all fairness edge, Multiple members have made complaints, and very little seems to have been done.

I’ve used the ignore user feature, and encourage other users to do so, but I don’t think it should come to that
🤦

It’s a shame the forum admins don’t grow a pair and sort it out though. But we all know why he gets away with it… don’t we @Edge?
Yes because based on your activity on here you appear to be an attention seeking 🤡....

😭😭😭😴😴😴

Yes because based on your activity on here you appear to be an attention seeking 🤡....

I think you’ve just missed the point of the last few message, Josh. We can’t preach about the clubs ethos and then treat eachother with disrespect

I think you’ve just missed the point of the last few message, Josh. We can’t preach about the clubs ethos and then treat eachother with disrespect
The clubs ethos has got nothing to do with calling out stupid and boring trolling....

You have my apologies. I posted in haste & got it wrong.

I'm able to speak face-to-face with James, something I can't do with you, and also spoken to him via the forum.
Should you feel posts breach the rules then please continue to report them & we'll investigations will be done.
It might appear that no action is taken but that is not the case.
Takes a big man to apologise edge, appreciate it and it’s forgotten.

I am more than happy to meet you at a game for a chat.

I think this high time that we all start to grow up a little bit and to put a stop to all this discourse and ranting about our club in terms on our performance on and off the pitch. Yes, I agree that we are all entitled to our opinions and yes I agree that this season has been a tough watch for everybody. I for one have often vented my frustration about the way things have gone for us this season and with the mistakes that have been made. That said it is now time for us all to pull together and to give the current board our full support in what will be difficult times ahead now that we are almost certain to be relegated. We all need to help the current board to plan for the future and I would encourage everybody with the best interests of the club at heart to attend the meeting arranged for next week on the 4 April. I will be there even if it means missing the Liverpool game on TV!

Someone that realises that the wage budget comes from club events and not from a chairman pumping in wads of cash.

The previous managers have all got that and have made players to come along to club events - other clubs have been envious of us for that.

This season has suffered from a lack of that (no-ones fault really, it's just a squad turnover thing) and I think we can all agree there's a much lower connection with the squad than we have had in the past because of it.
Well said Mark

I was specifically referring to the team manager application process which in my opinion was too convoluted, drawn out and bureaucratic. As a result we failed to make the right appointment. We had an opportunity to appoint a proven experienced respected manager who would have comfortably kept us in the NPL with his knowledge and manager/player contacts at NPL level and above. We no doubt would have treated any new players and associates of the club with respect as we always do, the difference being that the standard would have been higher. I have no issues with the principles of 74 however for me the priority at the time was securing our NPL status and not taking a massive risk in appointing someone unproven with little experience. I respect all views but the most important thing for me is that our club grows in every way. Sadly I can only see our club shrinking right now and the midland league will only shrink us further I feel. I hope I am wrong and we can bounce back… time will tell. Up the 74
But this well respected, experienced manager who would have turned things around didn’t actually apply for the job.

Have you ever been appointed to a job without applying for it?

But this well respected, experienced manager who would have turned things around didn’t actually apply for the job.

Have you ever been appointed to a job without applying for it?
James, i think that the point being made is that the board could have and perhaps should have made an approach to that well respected and experienced manager to see if he was in anyway at all interested in the job. it is all water under the bridge now and I think that the Board will now have to invite applications for who will become the next manager next season. One thought to consider is that the soon to become ex manager of Kidsgrove might be interested in the job.

Last edited:
There is a good reason why he’s left Left Kidsgrove..
Not quite worked out for him this season (it happens) but he’s been there four years and has a decent record (10th and 8th in this league in the past two seasons), as well as his experience of managing Newcastle and Chasetown.

I think a manager of his calibre dropping down to the Midlands would give us a really good chance of targeting promotion.

There is a good reason why he’s left Left Kidsgrove..
Think there’s some interesting candidates out there. I had his and duckies name threw at me in the week and Duckies statement was interesting reading too. But ultimately I think they have to apply and then we have to put faith in the board to select the most suitable. Speculation helps no one at this point.

I just hope it’s soon as it will give whoever is successful the chance to start building early to get us back in the NP West Prem. Think the length of time is the biggest concern so far.

Back