• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Eric Byrne

We've been fortunate over the years, first under Streety then under Goody & Bows where we have managed to create a squad and keep the majority of it for a long period of time. Look at Matt Woolley and Mark Jones, they've pretty much been at '74 since day one.

But as many of us have witnessed at countless teams we have faced, when a manager change happens, the fallout usually means that most of or in some cases the entire squad leaves or is replaced. Its non league football, it happens.

Personally I'm surprised its taken this long for changes to happen to our squad considering we appointed a total outsider who had no affiliation to the squad he inherited. It is sad to lose a bright talent like Eric and I'm sure Damian didn't want Eric to leave but if he wants guaranteed minutes he would probably have to go elsewhere to get them, which appears to be the case. Its a shame because In 2 or 3 seasons I'm sure Eric would be a very good player at this level or even the one above, maybe he will return one day in the future, we have parted on very good terms.

Agree with comments above regarding needing experience and know how, we're currently in a horrific run of form which pretty much started on day one of the season, we need players now who have been in this situation before and know how to turn this around if we are to survive at this level. Every single game from now on is essentially a cup final.

Keep the faith and keep on supporting our lads to the very end.

Last edited:
We've been fortunate over the years, first under Streety then under Goody & Bows where we have managed to create a squad and keep the majority of it for a long period of time. Look at Matt Woolley and Mark Jones, they've pretty much been at '74 since day one.

Jack, sorry to be pedantic but Mark first played for us in season 4 at Squires Gate, as far as I can see. However, he has no 92 in the heritage list which suggests he may have played in season 3 - although the year book for 3 doesn't record Mark but has Aid Houghton (who is he?) as 92. No 19 in the list is Lee Jones (Mark's brother) who has been helping out on the bench since Mark and Matt took temporary command.

Personally think its a great move for him, good club Linnets with a good set up and i think he'll do well

Personally think its a great move for him, good club Linnets with a good set up and i think he'll do well
It might be a great move for him,I just think he left us because he wasn't getting enough match time and goes to a club where he could have the same problem.

Reactions: Tez
Eric was an unused sub vs Vauxhall yesterday. (Jason Akiotu sent off for Motors)

Maybe he's not going tonget minutes then? Although it is early days.

Back