• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Eric Byrne

Jack Owen

Too much time on my hands
Aug 4, 2013
Just announced on twitter, Eric Byrne is looking for a new club after leaving ‘74 today.

All the best to him, a top lad who if he gets his head down and works hard will have a good career in football.

Eric has lots of potential but not ready to play at this level. We do need experienced fighters to compete not kids.

Damian is building his squad and if most our current players were of the necessary quality, we wouldn’t be bottom of the league. Ruthlessness needed if we want any chance of staying up.

Was always going to happen, good player Eric and much much better than he probably should be for his age, he's going to go on and hopefully be a top player playing at a much higher level so all the best to him for his future 👍

Eric has lots of potential but not ready to play at this level. We do need experienced fighters to compete not kids.

Damian is building his squad and if most our current players were of the necessary quality, we wouldn’t be bottom of the league. Ruthlessness needed if we want any chance of staying up.
Personally thought we were better when he was on the pitch tbh, it's ok getting rid of players but where is our budget to be able to replace them with better quality?? 🤷

Think it's insane that people seem glad he's gone.

Full of running, rarely misplaced a pass. Passion, energy, willing to take a booking to break up play.

We'll be worse off without him than with him.

I think it's insane that people think we have the time and breathing space to field youngsters with potential (and he has a lot of it) but clearly isn't at the level we need at the moment.

We need experienced heads who can guide us through this and not drop when things don't go perfect.

I really do hope he goes on to play higher - he can do - but he's not what we need right now.

From all accounts he has lots of potential, but unfortunately we are dealing with the now. Shame a dual reg couldn’t have been organised that way there was scope for the best of both worlds for both player and club. Eric gets the regular playing time he desires and the club keep the registration.🤷🏼‍♂️

Personally thought we were better when he was on the pitch tbh, it's ok getting rid of players but where is our budget to be able to replace them with better quality?? 🤷
Has Damian not just managed to sign Fagan, Bianga and Chakwana all experienced players on this ‘budget’, as did Woolley and Jonah with McCann? All better quality from what I’ve seen in my opinion.

Reactions: Tez
I think it's insane that people think we have the time and breathing space to field youngsters with potential (and he has a lot of it) but clearly isn't at the level we need at the moment.

We need experienced heads who can guide us through this and not drop when things don't go perfect.

I really do hope he goes on to play higher - he can do - but he's not what we need right now.
Apart from maybe Bianga recently I haven't seen a better midfielder than him on the pitch for us so far this season 🤷

Has Damian not just managed to sign Fagan, Bianga and Chakwana all experienced players on this ‘budget’, as did Woolley and Jonah with McCann? All better quality from what I’ve seen in my opinion.
He has and he's going to have to do it again now to replace Birchall, Crawford and Bryne and common sense says he can't keep finding better players on a very small budget

He has and he's going to have to do it again now to replace Birchall, Crawford and Bryne and common sense says he can't keep finding better players on a very small budget
Chakwana fills one of those places Josh.

Think we need to get behind Damian and trust the process. There was always going to be change and players coming and going with a new manager and the situation we’re in at the bottom of the league. That shouldn’t come as a surprise.

I’m sure things will iron themselves out and we will have a more settled team/squad.

Reactions: Tez
Think we need to get behind Damian and trust the process. There was always going to be change and players coming and going with a new manager and the situation we’re in at the bottom of the league. That shouldn’t come as a surprise.

I’m sure things will iron themselves out and we will have a more settled team/squad.
I accept that, but new players coming in are going to take time to settle and we don't have much time, hopefully it works out for the best but I personally would have kept the players we've recently let go

Shame as I felt he was a good player with great potential. Thought maybe he deserved more playing time than he got earlier in the season after an impressive pre season.

But that being said, I understand entirely the opinions people have of is it what we need right now…

The volume of players who have left without dual reg in place in a short time, it raises the questions of - have they been let go simply as they don’t fit DC’s plans, or is it the poor attitude of the players who have left recently that has led to the decisions? - if it is the latter, I for one am glad they have made the decision. Bad attitudes/effort levels is contagious and has a negative effect on any team at any level - if people don’t want to be here at this club and fight for this shirt then good riddance (this is aimed on the whole, not directly at Eric)

We are in a relegation fight and stringing together a few positive results over the next few weeks is now vital if we are to have any hope of not going down.

We need all our experienced / better players fit for the fight The return of Chis McCann and Matty Fenton, hopefully soon, will be crucial. I can well understand why we have let some of our more inexperienced / younger players depart the club.

My view still remains is that we still need to recruit a proven goal scorer capable of making an instant impact. I think we all agree that we still need to have more threat up front, but that said I can see some more positive signs from the team performance at Chasetown even though we lost again.

It's one player we're talking about. Eric would have benefitted from being in and around the starting line up and so would we.
Yes, he was raw, but he was 100% committed and passionate to the cause - That's the kind if player we need.

If you're good enough, you're old enough. And he is definitely good enough.

I'm not saying load the team with unproven teenagers, I'm saying this one should have been kept on.

Last edited:
It's one player we're talking about. Eric would have benefitted from being in and around the starting line up

I'm sure he would have, but we wouldn't.

We're bottom for a reason - our squad hasn't been good enough. The squad is being changed and players will leave - that's football.

As it stands Eric isn't strong enough for a relegation fight at our level. He will play higher no doubt - we don't have the luxury to wait for that.

He leaves us with two memories - the goal at City of Liverpool & our fastest ever red card!

Maybe with a run of games he would have nailed down a starting place, but as Mark says that's a gamble we can't afford to take.
I'd have liked him to stay with us as an option from the bench but he wants more minutes & that's not going to happen with us.

Back