• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Curzon Ashton v AFC Wimbledon

Andy

Too much time on my hands
Politics 5
Jul 28, 2013
Wow. What a game.

Heart break for Curzon.

Good luck to Wimbledon, flying the fan owned flag high in the Third Round

I bet Morgan who got the hat-trick for CA is completely gutted.

He wont been too fussed when bigger clubs come knocking on his door!

5 non league clubs into the 3rd round only ever happened twice in the history of the competition and not one picked for television coverage ridiculous

That's shocking! little guys deserve as much as they can get.

I thought that's what The FA Cup was about at this stage the smaller club's,but the media in general and the FA as a whole only care about pumping all the money into the fat cat's who own the big club's pocket's and paying over rated so called star's dis gusting amount's of money.

Every Man Utd FA cup game since 2005 has been televised, over 50 games.

I thought that's what The FA Cup was about at this stage the smaller club's,but the media in general and the FA as a whole only care about pumping all the money into the fat cat's who own the big club's pocket's and paying over rated so called star's dis gusting amount's of money.

It's the TV companies who choose who to put on TV and that is a commercial decision, they will put on whatever attracts the best viewer ratings. Like it or not they are not a charity!
As for 'overrated so called stars' one can't deny that in the PL you are watching most of the world's best players. If, overall, people did not feel they were getting value for money they would not go to games, watch TV or read about it in the papers.
And I have to say most, if not all, top clubs do tremendous amounts of work in the community that seldom gets media coverage so most people don't know about it.

Pete a lot of people do tremendous work and don't get media coverage,don't see your point there.As for the PL having the best player's in the world does that justify up too £25000 per week wage?.

Pete a lot of people do tremendous work and don't get media coverage,don't see your point there.As for the PL having the best player's in the world does that justify up too £25000 per week wage?.
You're right Toddy, I don't believe it does justify it. Wages are in fact a lot higher than the figure you quote! It's scandalous and greedy if you ask me. Undoubtedly the Premier League has some of the world's best players but La Liga for me is the best major league in Europe despite all the media and TV hype. And the Premier League really is over hyped!

Sorry can't agree. The players you are talking about are probably within the top 1,000 footballers out of milions worldwide. That makes them special. Companies make millions off their backs by using them for advertising and TV makes an excellent profit televising their skills. The attraction is global. At a personal level many players use some of their considerable wealth to help communities, particularly in the third world and many do charitable work over and above their day job and charities use their name to boost fundraising.
99% of people will choose to do the best paid job they can get - why should footballers be any different? It's a commercial capitalist world and they are worth exactly what someone chooses to pay, as we all are.
The career is very short (7 yrs on average I think?) and includes the time when learning their trade. I don't think it is any more lucrative than any other global icons such as film stars but the wealth is accumulated in a much shorter time. What is the alternative? A wage cap? No chance, cap the wages here and they merely go elsewhere.
There is also the more intangible question of value for money. How does anyone judge that? In practical terms look at the demand for tickets for PL games, viewing figures, merchandising etc etc and I think that is the clearest answer.
Toddy, I made the point about what clubs do as I notice every non league forum I read is negative towards PL as in your reference to fat cats and whilst there is a lot wrong with football including PL there is also a lot right with it and, as '74' make known what we do for the community so it's fair to point out what they do as well.
Not a reference to this thread but there is a tremendous amount of envy against clubs at the top and I find that sad. NWCL and PL (and everything in between) are totally different experiences both have their faults and drawbacks and both provide great experiences within the world of football.

You make some good points, Pete, but ultimately I don't think any footballer deserves to be earning £300,000 a week for instance when there are doctors and nurses and other emergency services that save lives and earn a fraction of that in a whole year. Or when there's people going to foodbanks because they can't afford to eat or put the heating on. There's a real sense of injustice and unfairness in that if you ask me.

Ben - why aren't doctors and nurses paid more?
Toddy, what should they be paid? You must have a figure in mind to 'know' they are earning too much?

Hard to put a figure on it certainly not in the 100000s a week,don't forget they make a fortune in other ways also.You say they don't have very long in the game but they earn in one year more than most people do in a lifetime.Pete do you really believe any player is worth £100000 a week or more?.

Hard to put a figure on it certainly not in the 100000s a week,don't forget they make a fortune in other ways also.You say they don't have very long in the game but they earn in one year more than most people do in a lifetime.Pete do you really believe any player is worth £100000 a week or more?.
I do understand your point and am not entirely unsympathetic to it. However football is a competitive world and finance generally governs who wins major titles. Even at our level money is the main factor. You only get a 'Leicester' once in a generation and this applies just as much as you move down the leagues.
If that £100k a week player is the difference between winning or losing the CL (or even qualifying for the knockout stages) then, financially, yes they are worth it. Globally football is a major industry and wealth comes down through wages from jobs that depend on it directly and indirectly, from players to the mobile burger van parked outside. There is also a considerable benefit to our economy through tax.
The 'market' ultimately governs wages and if the money is offered then wouldn't any player be stupid to refuse it? When clubs pay what they can't afford we all know what the ultimate cumuppance is!
At the end of the day we are talking a handful of players in the world and in that context I don't think it's that unreasonable. From a value for money perspective as a ST holder at Everton I think it's excellent value for money and we're far from being world class at the moment. £18 a game for me (concession) is not out of the way in today's world.
As I said I feel quite strongly about the way the PL is described on various forums and I think it does no harm to keep a sense of balance. At the end of the day it doesn't matter whether it's the world cup or division 5 of the local Sunday league, it's all part of football and the fact that it includes people of all abilities at all levels is football's strength.

Back