• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Counties Watch 22-23 Edition

Edge

Administrator
Forum Staff
5 Game Player
Jun 24, 2013
I see Winsford have a Boxing Day derby with Litherland.

Odd pairing tbh.
There are only 3 Cheshire sides in the Counties now Macc & Runcorn Town have left.
Looks like Winsford drew the short straw.

I’m sure Vics (and Winsford for that matter) would have preferred to be playing each other over the Festive season. No disrespect to the Bears but a local clash is likely to be more of a gate booster??‍♂️

Kendal seem to have continued their NPL form - Played 3 Lost 3
And Litherland are struggling once again.

At the top Avro have won 5/5, Vauxhall 4/4 & Wythenshawe Town 3/3

Winsford lost 7-0 at Wyth on Saturday & Longridge conceded 8 at home to West Dids.
Markell played for WD&C & Manuel for Winsford.

Barnton & their manager posted company yesterday.

Runcorn Town has a vacancy, any dots to be joined here ?

There's an interesting thread over on the non-league forum about the potential make up of the leagues next season.

They have Winsford, Congleton & NVFC moving to the Midland league!!

There's an interesting thread over on the non-league forum about the potential make up of the leagues next season.

They have Winsford, Congleton & NVFC moving to the Midland league!!
At first glance you’d probably dismiss this out of hand as a totally ridiculous notion. However the problem, as touched upon in a podcast by Martin Fallon back in the Summer, is that the Premier Division is already bigger than most if not all other Step 5 leagues. Given the potential relegation candidates at Step 4 and the prospective clubs in line for promotion from Step 6, that numerical problem is going to get significantly worse and not better. Difficult to argue therefore that the FA won’t need to address the situation sooner rather than later, and moving the Midlands footprint further North is one distinct possibility; they’ve attempted to laterally move Congleton in the past of course. I’m sure there is plenty of discussion to be had about other clubs being moved instead of the three from Cheshire, but one thing looks certain, there will be clubs having to move for the start of the 2023/24 season.*
Obviously the OP on the thread isn’t an official source and this is only his ideas. However looking back on previous seasons, his projections haven’t been too far off the mark.

* also noted that should ‘74 be dragged into a relegation fight, the same scenario would impact on them too.

Financially I'd imagine it would be a disaster for any mid-cheshire club that gets moved to the Midland division

Financially I'd imagine it would be a disaster for any mid-cheshire club that gets moved to the Midland division
Actually in terms of travelling expenses that might be a moot point to be honest🤷🏼‍♂️ Situated where the three (suggested) clubs are (and for arguments sake throw ‘74 into the mix) they all have a good trunk road (ok it’s the M6, I know, I know ..... 👀) to access quite a few of their opponents. So in terms of time travel at least, it probably isn’t more than ninety minutes door to door - though obviously I now anticipate detailed routeplanners which debunk my potted theory 😂.
The Midland League has proved to be a slightly easier Step 5 route to promotion too. Success during the campaign could have a positive impact on gates perhaps?
The biggest drawback will be the respective squads. I’m guessing that most are drawn from Manchester, Merseyside and, in the case of some of the Vics squad East and West Lancs? It’s therefore likely that clubs being laterally moved would need to recruit from a Cheshire and the North Midlands; not an insurmountable problem if you have the contacts of course.

in terms of time travel at least, it probably isn’t more than ninety minutes door to door
If you're time traveling it'll be less than 90 minutes :D

Reactions: Tez
Latest projections have added both Wythy clubs to the Midlands League (on the assumption Town aren’t promoted of course) too 😲

Winsford seem to have a cunning plan to avoid a move to the midlands. 5 games without a win & lost to rock bottom Ashton last night.

Jean-Jacques Kirongoz scored for West Dids today.
Markell Foulds also played as did Thomas Westall.
Is that the same lad we had on loan from Alty years ago?

Back