• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Chester in big trouble

It is a salutory lesson in how not to budget. You would seriously expect a fan-run club who've been through what they've been through in a past life would have learnt their lesson. I find it incredible that they have a Chairman who appears to be shocked at player contracts and a Treasurer/Finance Director who hasn't flagged all this up a lot earlier. As for a weekly wage bill of £10K in the Conference ... o_O:eek:

Sad news.

It appears they lost sight of their own history.

And didn't they lose a lot of money getting from Conf N to Conf National a few years ago?

It is a little frustrating though when one thinks how much support, financial and otherwise that Chester FC have had and how little we have had from the authorities, after all we are all Council Tax payers.

I wonder if we had a ground share at Chester it might help to get support from CWAC (only joking!)

Listened to the non-league show on Friday when the Alty chairman was speaking. He confirmed that an injection of cash from an investor did not go ahead as they didn't share his vision for the club. He also said that they were always open to investment for a place on the board.
Is this how it works? Put money in and get a place on the board, even though you may know nothing about football??

This isn't just about poor budgeting and financial mismanagement. What it shows is that progression to higher levels brings a vicious increase in costs that can't be met via crowd funding alone. There comes a point at which progress inflicts so much financial damage that the club is no longer sustainable - but would the fans accept a voluntary relegation back to (say) Evostick South to play at a sustainable level? A poor season at any level can wipe out any balances and reserves (which it seems Chester had in place) but the higher the level the more severe and speedier the impact. I think every non league club without a millionaire backer runs this particular risk.

This isn't just about poor budgeting and financial mismanagement. What it shows is that progression to higher levels brings a vicious increase in costs that can't be met via crowd funding alone. There comes a point at which progress inflicts so much financial damage that the club is no longer sustainable - but would the fans accept a voluntary relegation back to (say) Evostick South to play at a sustainable level? A poor season at any level can wipe out any balances and reserves (which it seems Chester had in place) but the higher the level the more severe and speedier the impact. I think every non league club without a millionaire backer runs this particular risk.
Interesting post.
Yes we have had a fairly good first 5 seasons which have seen us gain relative success. If we did get promotion then yes more funds would be required. Our playing budget would have to be very strict and if we ended up in the bottom half then so be it. As long as we are sustainable. I trust our loyal fans to keep with us through hard times and I trust our board to do the sums and keep us playing within our means.

Spot on Alan. The books need to balance and if promotion means our ambition has to be successfully resisting relegation, then so be it.

Yes Tez, from what I have seen though I think our squad would hold their own in the Evostik anyway. But to go higher we would need time and more money. Attendances and fund raising would have to be stepped up even more and then there is a place to play!!

We all know how hard it will be going forward, but I'm sure we're up for a challenge!

Spot on Alan. The books need to balance and if promotion means our ambition has to be successfully resisting relegation, then so be it.

That would make sense with any team playing in a new division for the first time, priority is to always avoid relegation the first time round until you know what your up against

Hopefully winning the vase would give us a nice few quid, is there any Tele money available to clubs in the final considering its on bt sport?

A last day win to stay up can be just as exciting for the fans as winning promotion!!

Reactions: Tez
Back